SASS Wire Forum

Who enjoys eating Raw Dog?

Fence Cutter

The recipe:

One pound good  ground beef,

mix in one egg, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.

Then enjoy:

By putting on a Ritz cracker.

If you ordered this up town by the fancy name of Steak tartar, you would spend a lot of money for it.

Sounds like a great way to get e coli or salmonella. 

I think the secret is you need to used high grade burger.    GW

Just now, G W Wade said:

I think the secret is you need to used high grade burger.    GW

Yep.

Use good meat. Don't buy it at Walmart !...........

Plus your spices and salt cure it........

Those of us who eat it have not died yet........

..... and it's been around longer than any of us.

There is a difference between ground beef and finely chopped beef. Ground beef goes through a grinder that harbors bacteria. Chopping beef with a knife is far cleaner and more safe. I have worked in many cutting rooms and there is no way I would trust the quality of any meat ran through a grinder unless it's cooked to a core temperature of 165 degrees.

Salted meat doesn't cure anything unless its dried below the point that bacteria can survive or elevated to a temperature higher than they can survive. Spices do nothing. Some dishes use acid, like lemon juice, to kill the bacteria. The older a person is the more harm it can cause.

........ sounds like you know a lot about it......

I don't........

.....but I don't buy store-bought meat......

( and I don't recommend store-bought meat for anything)

We don't get too technical with it here at home. We enjoy it and we're still kicking after several generations of eating it.

1 minute ago, Fence Cutter said:

........ sounds like you know a lot about it......

I don't........

.....but I don't buy store-bought meat......

( and I don't recommend store-bought meat for anything)

We don't get too technical with it here at home. We enjoy it and we're still kicking after several generations of eating it.

I understand. I eat raw fish... the right raw fish.. and prepared the right way. Raw fresh salmon with soy sauce and wasabi is instant heaven!

Just now, Cholla said:

I understand. I eat raw fish... the right raw fish.. and prepared the right way. Raw fresh salmon with soy sauce and wasabi is instant heaven!

I think we are on the same page...

I used to  be leery of raw fish until I started eating the right kind and yes now I enjoy it!

I do not eat raw meat or fish. I do not begrudge folks that do, but please be careful.

A good friend of mine got very sick eating raw ground beef. Darn near killed him. I won’t go into the gory details but his experience sure taught me a lesson. 

Same goes for Sushi. No dice for me. I tried it once just to say that I tried it. After I got the bill that sealed it for me. :D I did eat the complimentary mint sauce in the little bowl too... Man, that was rough. 

Those are all good points Pat ......

..... how many of us eat our steaks rare, with a little red juice running out of them and think nothing of it.

But on the other hand, east of Omaha, they will refuse to cook them that way.

...... and the same with ground beef or hamburger......

But then again I can eat that raw and red, or with the texture of a twenty-year-old shingle.

I lived in Japan for a while and traveled there frequently.  I ate what they ate all the time and never suffered ill effects.   Fish is handled differently there, I guess, and is selected carefully, according to how it will be prepared, served and consumed.

I’ve eaten raw beef and ground beef too, but not with any ill effect, either.   I do understand what’s been said, and I haven’t eaten raw gb in some time.   I just don’t like it, really.  Sounds like a good idea to not tempt fate.  

So, what’s this about raw dog meat?  Who’s dog?  From where?  8~(

Cat Brules

4 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I always remind myself we gotta die of something

Excellent point Ranger ....

Except I haven't known anybody to die of it yet, and, they didn't have refrigerators or freezers while trailing the herds North.....

And, would they really sell it in New York City or any other urban area as Steak Tartare if it was going to kill someone.......LOL

Nope. Call M3 a Troglodite but I like using fire.

I also like flint, and obsidian knives. :lol:

Just because it hasn’t killed you yet,doesn’t mean that it won’t kill you.not hoping that it does but if it does please pass my contact info onto your windows hopefully I can pick up a great deal on some used SASS gear!

Worked as the clean up boy in a butcher shop in high school. Was exposed to three habits of the butchers.

1. Red Man from the pouch.

2. Blackberry brandy.

3. Freshly ground beef with chopped green onions.

Ditched the Red Man after about 30 seconds. Brandy was ok. But that fresh ground beef, with the onions and a little garlic salt was really good. One butcher ate raw liver, but that's where I drew the line. Nobody got sick. Maybe that was what the brandy was for?

Now if you want to kick it up a notch, Steak Carpaccio.

Yum-itee, yum, yum, YUM!

:-O   :-)   :-D

CB

I’ve tried these “delicacies” a time or two and find that my palate isn’t sophisticated enough to appreciate them.  I LIKE that flavor that flame or scorching hot cast iron adds to a cut of meat, fish, or poultry.  Come to think on it, it’s a tasty addition to reptile or amphibian too!!

The raw or uncooked stuff is still BAIT as far as I’m concerned.

To each his/her own!!

Bacteria reside on the surface of an intact (not tenderized) steak. If the surface of the steak is seared enough to kill the bacteria, then the rare interior should  be safe.  Unless the animal was infected with parasites, in which case one could be eating parasite eggs or larvae. Any cutting, grinding, or tenderizing can carry bacteria from the surface to the inside, so if the core cooking temperature does  not reach 145 F for red meat, or 165 F for poultry, there is a risk of infection.  Makes no difference if it’s your own animal that was custom processed or meat purchased in a store.  A meat thermometer is your best friend.

Been a butcher for 50+ years,and eaten raw ground beef,at times,since the beginning.The best,in my opinion is very lean,preferably 90% or leaner,ground sirloin as cold as you can stand it.Proper sanitation practices are a must,clean tools,work surfaces and machinery without exception. 

My personal favorite is thin sliced top sirloin or tenderloin wrapped  around sliced red and green peppers and red onion with a sprinkle of seasoned black pepper.Really tasty!!

6 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

Yep.

Use good meat. Don't buy it at Walmart !...........

Walmart doesn't sell meat, been my experience. 

Get real meat, quality meat, from your local locker/butcher.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Walmart doesn't sell meat, been my experience. 

Get real meat, quality meat, from your local locker/butcher.

Sadly those are extinct around here. I like beef pretty rare, don't know about THAT rare. I have eaten "raw" fish in Hawaii. They call it poke. Soaked in citrus juice. Not bad.

JHC

11 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Worked as the clean up boy in a butcher shop in high school. Was exposed to three habits of the butchers.

1. Red Man from the pouch.

2. Blackberry brandy.

3. Freshly ground beef with chopped green onions.

Ditched the Red Man after about 30 seconds. Brandy was ok. But that fresh ground beef, with the onions and a little garlic salt was really good. One butcher ate raw liver, but that's where I drew the line. Nobody got sick. Maybe that was what the brandy was for?

Now if you want to kick it up a notch, Steak Carpaccio.

I also worked in a butcher shop for about 3 months when I was 15. That was quite an experience. The man that owned to shop gave me strict instructions on cleaning equipment, handling meat and cleaning the displays and the shop itself. 
The one admonition that he repeated over and over was NEVER eat raw meat. He was very adamant about it. 

58 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yuch!

:rolleyes:

The egg goes down and you don't even taste it! It was a Christmas tradition at my parent's house with all the adult men. When I got to be 18 I was allowed and it wasn't bad at all!!;)

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The egg goes down and you don't even taste it! It was a Christmas tradition at my parent's house with all the adult men. When I got to be 18 I was allowed and it wasn't bad at all!!;)

That raw egg is more likely to poison you than raw meet. Salmanila bacteria can live inside chickens without causing the chicken to become ill. The bacteria can be passed to the egg before the shell forms so no matter how many precautions are taken after the egg is laid, the bacteria are already present.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That raw egg is more likely to poison you than raw meet. Salmanila bacteria can live inside chickens without causing the chicken to become ill. The bacteria can be passed to the egg before the shell forms so no matter how many precautions are taken after the egg is laid, the bacteria are already present.

Well.......didn't seem to affect my dad or uncles they all lived well into their 80's and didn't die from salmonella!:lol:

The last time I did it was in 1993 at Christmas. What you say makes perfect sense though!;)

Archived