SASS Wire Forum

REME In The Field

Subdeacon Joe

I’ve used steel cutting charges before but never heard of using one for tank repair!

I think that’s a Centurian but I’m not all that familiar with British Armour.

56 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I don't understand why they had to cut the track before towing the tank out of the jam it was in.

Could someone enlighten me on this?

Angus

I guess if the track was damaged to the extent it would prevent the road wheels from moving you’d have to do that.  .?

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’ve used steel cutting charges before but never heard of using one for tank repair!

I think that’s a Centurian but I’m not all that familiar with British Armour.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I guess if the track was damaged to the extent it would prevent the road wheels from moving you’d have to do that.  .?

Yep they were Centurions.

Yep if the track is jammed it is pretty difficult to drag it. Better to break it (I have never used charges) and then drag the tank.

20 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Makes sense to me.  I hadn't thought of that.  The tracks in the video didn't seem to be that screwed up.  Suspension of disbelief for a training video, maybe?

Angus

17 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Makes sense to me.  I hadn't thought of that.  The tracks in the video didn't seem to be that screwed up.  Suspension of disbelief for a training video, maybe?

Angus

Yup. Not going to screw up a tank on purpose. Wouldn’t be Cricket.

1. In the field......tow vehicle available......expedite getting the tan out of there.

Blowing the track to free it up from the wheels was certainly not in the book.

Field improvisation, by blowing the track gets the tank moving.   Replacing the track and other damage occurs in the rear.

Good call.  “Now, let’s get back on point men, and carry on!”

Cat Brules

Archived