SASS Wire Forum

C&B RELOADING ON THE CLOCK

Is it allowable to load six cylinders and cap the reload while at the firing line for a C&B reload on the clock. Obviously putting powder and ball in cylinder on the clock is somewhat time consuming!

Thanks for your input.

- If a particular stage requires a one shot reload, the sixth chamber of percussion revolvers may be charged at the bench and then capped “on the clock” either before the first round is fired or after the last round is fired.  A complete reload for percussion revolver shooters is handled by staging a loaded, uncapped revolver down range or switching uncapped cylinders and capping on the clock.

SHB p.14

Was going to post a really nifty reply but PWB beat me to it.  I would be remiss however, if I didn't include a CAVEAT:  Cap that sixth chamber BEFORE you begin to shoot the stage.  An uncapped chamber is flirting with a "Chain Fire."  Exciting, but not real fun :o

I have only had pistol reloads twice in 15 years and I cap before shooting my first round. Had one TO tell me it was illegal but had my rule book with me. DC

Even if the stage instructions specify (e.g.): "Shoot five (or 10) rounds, THEN reload one round in a revolver.", the exception for percussion revolvers applies (for the SAFETY reasons mentioned above).

On October 26, 2019 at 12:46 AM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Even if the stage instructions specify (e.g.): "Shoot five (or 10) rounds, THEN reload one round in a revolver.", the exception for percussion revolvers applies (for the SAFETY reasons mentioned above).

+1K on this!!  Chain fires are no fun for anybody in the vicinity!! 

Been shooting C&B in THIS game since 1986, and have always charged all 6 chambers, capping 5 at the loading table.  Using 1st stock (as no other alternatives existed), then Treso, and now SliXshot nipples, I have never experienced this "chain-fire" you speak of.  I use .375" balls, shaving a ring of lead off,  in my Colt 2nd gen & other clones thereof... a lubed wad between powder & ball.   Some revolvers may need a .380" dia. ball to shave the ring of lead, but that ring ensures a tight seal between ball & cylinder wall.  And yes, the same relationship between ball diameter & cylinder wall is necessary in the .44" revolvers also.  Shaving a ring of lead is necessary, whether you use a wad below the ball or a lube over the ball.    While yes, I may experience one the very next time I shoot, IMO, the likelihood is extremely low.  Hence, its allowability under the rules.  If you've experienced one, look to your charging regimen, and component fitment, before decrying its inevitability.

P.S.:  this is not written as a criticism, but as a reminder that the DETAILS are extremely important.  Ignore 'em at your own peril.

PLUS ONE to Griff :)   Research has shown (not mine) most "Chain Fire" incidents occur from the front.  Usually a result of poor loading technique or ill fitting projectiles.  Chain Fire is not an "inevitability but a possibility.  Leaving an "open hole" as a route for flame travel to a powder charge is not a guarantee of Chain Fire but IS flirting with it.  I try to minimize the possibility of "Un-Fun" excitement.  Many have had the same experience as Griff, however if you have the opportunity to observe High Speed film (slowed down) of Cap Gun ignition, one might become some paranoid.  Therefore, I stand by NOT recommending shooting with an un-capped chamber.

Many have had the same experience as Griff, however if you have the opportunity to observe High Speed film (slowed down) of Cap Gun ignition, one might become some paranoid

This is a still shot from a video showing the amount of "ignition flash" when shooting a percussion revolver.
The only chain fires I've personally experienced were from lack of over-ball lube in the chamber.

master%20flasher-S.jpg

2 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

master%20flasher-S.jpg

Wowza ! That'll burn the fuzz off your fingers .....  :o:D

I've had the same experience!  I myself have never had a chain fire!  I use .457 pure lead ball ammo in my 1860s.  It always shaves off a nice ring and I don't use grease over the ball.  Yes! The .457 ball is large and harder to load in the '60s, but loading it sizes it and I know the front is sealed!!  I only load five unless a reload is called for.  I'll cap a sixth on the clock.

I've experienced a couple of chain fires when operating the timer for others.  One of those was when we were shooting a reload stage.  I can't say for sure which end of the cylinder lit off, but the shooter had NOT capped his reload when the incident occurred. One ball hit the wedge on the shooter's revolver!  It left a small chunk of lead on the wedge, but it made me wonder which direction the rest of the ball went.  Coming out of the chamber like that, it probably didn't have much velocity, but it might still do some damage!

I always capped as soon as the first pistol was drawn!  My worry was if I didn't seal that hole up, it might go off!  

My nightmare would be having the gun go off in the holster where a spark like the ones shown above hit that open nipple while the gun was holsterd!!

I did a LOT of research on this and came to the conclusion that beside there being vastly more myth than truth about loading and shooting black powder in print and on the web, there are are two causes of chain fires.

The first is poorly fitting or improperly seated projectiles. Also using projectiles with casting flaws. 

The second and much more common cause is sloppy loading practices. When I say sloppy I mean spilling powder on the face of the cylinder and allowing grease and oil to contaminate the cylinder walls. The grease/oil on the cylinder walls attracts powder. When the ball is seated it smears the powder between it and the projectile creating a thin fuse that will cause a chain fire.

Just my opinion but the reason shooters had so many chain fires on the stage requiring a 6th chamber to be charged is because that cylinder was contaminated with all the grease that most shooters apply to every chamber from previous stages. When they loaded #6 the shooters did not adequately clean the chamber before charging and the grease/fowling attracted powder that created a fuse around the ball.  Spraying lube on the face of an uncharged cylinder will also contaminate the cylinder walls.

If you want to learn something load all 6 on a C&B pistol and top off  each chamber with your grease of choice. Fire one round and then inspect the face of the cylinder. How much of that carefully applied grease is left? Continue firing and inspecting until all 6 are fired. All that grease doesn't stay put very well does it?

I only grease the first chamber that will be fired to assist in keeping the fowling soft. Keeps my pistols from becoming a greasy mess by the end of the day. I may have a chain fire the next time I shoot them but I prefer Griff's method.

I I agree with everyone about the slight chance of a chain fire with a loaded uncapped cylinder. I always cap the sixth cylinder on a reload before starting the string because I feel safer doing it this way. I have had  only one chain fire shooting CAS and it was caused by a fine Crack in my ASM revolver which ignited the bottom cylinder taking out my loading lever. I took the cylinder to a machinest  friend and he checked it out and found the crack. The cylinder was never shot again and have never had another chain fire since with any of my other revolvers, sold my ASM and bought nothing but Piettas since. DC

3 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I I agree with everyone about the slight chance of a chain fire with a loaded uncapped cylinder. I always cap the sixth cylinder chamber on a reload before starting the string because I feel safer doing it this way.

That right there is the reason for the rule clarification many years ago.

Regardless of the remote possibility of a chain-fire via an uncapped nipple, many feel that it is safer to have it capped, rather than risk it happening.

I had a chainfire some 4 years back, first for me & witnessed by some who are long term C & B  shooters & never seen a chainfire, gave me one hell of a fright but what was really funny..... ' both shots hit the target !!!........no marks down the side of the pistol.

Archived