SASS Wire Forum

No Electricity

Yul Lose

I understand the power company shutting down electric power on high wind days like today because of the high fire danger. What I don’t understand is all of the businesses that shut down, maybe it’s the inability of their computer systems to communicate during a power outage. I was at the gym and after about 10 minutes they lost power. One of the PT’s came by and told us to finish up because they had to close up because power will be off the rest of today. None of the machines that I was using required electricity. I had to stop by the bank and do some business and it was closed also because the power was off. My local gun shop was open with no power but he said he was unable to do any computer work like background checks. When I had my business storefront we couldn’t afford to close for a power outage we got things done anyway.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I understand the power company shutting down electric power on high wind days like today because of the high fire danger. What I don’t understand is all of the businesses that shut down, maybe it’s the inability of their computer systems to communicate during a power outage. I was at the gym and after about 10 minutes they lost power. One of the PT’s came by and told us to finish up because they had to close up because power will be off the rest of today. None of the machines that I was using required electricity. I had to stop by the bank and do some business and it was closed also because the power was off. My local gun shop was open with no power but he said he was unable to do any computer work like background checks. When I had my business storefront we couldn’t afford to close for a power outage we got things done anyway.

How long ago did you have a business? Did you have computers? Credit card machines? Unless you had candles and an old fashioned cash register and accepted only cash it would be awful hard in todays businesses. It also depends on what kind of business you had!

It’s a mystery to me. 

Especially confusing is why somebody thinks that the mere risk of power lines causing a fire outweighs the definite economic losses of these blackouts. 

I hope somebody smarter than me thought through through this question, because from my vantage point it looks like a fool’s trade. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It’s a mystery to me. 

Especially confusing is why somebody thinks that the mere risk of power lines causing a fire outweighs the definite economic losses of these blackouts. 

I hope somebody smarter than me thought through through this question, because from my vantage point it looks like a fool’s trade. 

Well many of the most recent disastrous fires were caused by power lines. The SCOTUS just ruled that power companies can’t charge their customers to pay the power companies damages. So the power companies shut the power off so that the fire potential is pretty much eliminated from their power lines.

I drove a ways to my BassPro for shotshells.

Computer systems required to do CA DMV background check.
Also required to print the DROS form that requires my signature and thumb print to buy ammo.

Thank goodness CA has chosen to totally ignore reloaders and motorcycles.
I'm totally surprised we don't have to smog bikes in CA...

And the damage by fire because of power lines is because the tree and brush huggers won’t stand for the power companies clearing brush so the power companies remove their own risk. 

It is my firm belief that if power has to be shut off anywhere in SoCal that it is also shut off in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Berkeley and especially Sacramento. 

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I'm totally surprised we don't have to smog bikes in CA...

We almost did. 

I have a feeling the reason they don’t is because then people will see how efficient they are and more people will start riding. My bike gets 50MPG and that is riding it fast. If I actually ride the speed limits I can get 60MPG. 
Someone has to fund the roads for the electric cars and bicycles. If more people went to motorcycles then the state would have to tax their beloved “green” transportation. 

55 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And the damage by fire because of power lines is because the tree and brush huggers won’t stand for the power companies clearing brush so the power companies remove their own risk. 

It is my firm belief that if power has to be shut off anywhere in SoCal that it is also shut off in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Berkeley and especially Sacramento. 

Agreed. There are a number of factors needed for power lines to start brush fires, but the utilities have the deep pockets. So sue the utilities for damage from the fires, have SCOTUS rule that the expense can’t go in the rate base, and it’s only natural that PG&E and other utilities will eliminate the only fire-contributing element they control...  

Energized power lines!

Something’s got to change. 

Why don't everybody get together & sue all the tree huggers for damages.?

Largo

4 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Why don't everybody get together & sue all the tree huggers for damages.?

Largo

Most of the judges are tree huggers too.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It’s a mystery to me. 

Here's why:

Notice that they are asking if he can get out.

The air response to this fire has been amazing. It looks like they have it contained to about 12-14 acres. There are quite a few ground personnel coming in and they are probably trying to get the hotspots taken care of before the winds pick back up. I live in a deep canyon and it can be almost dead calm down here but very windy up on top.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It’s a mystery to me. 

Sonoma County Fire District
Friday October 25th, 2019 :: 02:52 p.m. PDT

Advisory

Red Flag Warning/High Wind Warning/Probable PG&E Power Shutoff Saturday-Monday.

Red Flag Warning and High Wind Warning:
The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning and High Wind Warning for much of Sonoma County beginning on Saturday evening and extending into Monday.  They are predicting a wind event of "historic levels".  Critical fire danger will be present on Saturday night, Sunday, and much of Monday.

Air Quality:
Due to the Kincade Fire, there may be parts of Sonoma County where air quality conditions are UNHEALTHY. Changing wind patterns and pending fire conditions are making air quality unpredictable. We are hopeful that air quality conditions will improve after the weather changes. This health advisory will remain in effect, until the air quality significantly and consistently improves.  You can find more detailed information on the County’s Air Quality Webpage.

PG&E Public Safety Power Shutoff: Based on the latest weather readings, PG&E will be turning off power in portions of our service area as outlined below. Once the weather subsides and it is safe to do so, PG&E crews will begin patrolling power lines, repairing damaged equipment and restoring customers.

If you live in these communities, PG&E will attempt to contact you via telephone, text and email. Please check back for the latest information as the area and number of customers impacted are updated as weather conditions change.

Outages (weather event plus restoration time) could last longer than 48 hours. For planning purposes, PG&E suggests customers prepare for outages that could last several days.
Check if you will be impacted at looking up their addresses or power preparation information page

Precautions:
The incoming wind event is a very high threat event with wind speeds that we have not experienced in years.  Please take precautions to secure or remove any outdoor items that may become airborned in strong winds.  Stay away from trees that may fall. Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines. Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles. Rapid firegrowth potential. Treat all downed lines as energized line and call 911.

If you use a portable generator, please ensure that you follow all manufacturer's safety messages and consult an electrican on proper installation and use.

Do not use candles during prolonged periods of power outages as they can pose a significant fire threat.  Instead, ensure that you have battery operated lanterns and plenty of extra batteries.

Right now it is 90 degrees and 14% humidity.  When the winds pick up tomorrow, that is likely to go into single digits.  Haven't had any significant rain since May or June.  LOOK at it wrong and it can combust.  Then there is the terrain.  Steep.  Little access.  Heavy brush.  

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

it is all about the lawyers.  If the lights are off and an employee or customer trips and falls, you are liable because you allowed them to be there in adverse conditions...

Yep.  Plus the Electric company got sued because they were accused of the big fires caused by the State Government stop preemptive fire fuel removal.  Lose lose situation for the Power Company and John Q. Public.  Politicians get to fight over how to launder the money awarded from the law suits.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/How-the-deadly-Tubbs-Fire-blitzed-Santa-Rosa-12268552.php

Conditions that were too right: In the early hours of Monday morning, hear hurricane-level winds carried the Tubbs Fire into North Santa Rosa, devastating neighborhoods and commercial areasSources: National Weather Service, special thanks to Bill Martin, KTVU

It moved 15 miles in three hours.  Once it crested the mountains, the embers were spreading an urban "crown fire" at about 50 miles an hour.  

By the way, where I live and what we were looking at the morning of 9 October 2017:

Tubbs map.jpg

Oct. 9 0431.jpg

5 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Yep.  Plus the Electric company got sued because they were accused of the big fires caused by the State Government stop preemptive fire fuel removal.  Lose lose situation for the Power Company and John Q. Public.  Politicians get to fight over how to launder the money awarded from the law suits.

Another consideration is that a lot of money that should have gone to PG&E brush removal and equipment upkeep went, for political reasons, to "green" and "sustainable" energy boondoggles projects and research.

28 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Another consideration is that a lot of money that should have gone to PG&E brush removal and equipment upkeep went, for political reasons, to "green" and "sustainable" energy boondoggles projects and research.

If there were any honest politicians, law enforcement personnel at the top, justice department personnel left in this state they might be able to expose the graft and corruption in Kalifornia state government.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Permanently!

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

So the power companies shut off the electricity to avoid being sued. What if a family gets trapped and burned to death because they had no TV or Internet access to warn them of the coming danger?

Well, if they aren’t staring at their TVs or computers perhaps they would have the ability to look out the flippin’ window...

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, if they aren’t staring at their TVs or computers perhaps they would have the ability to look out the flippin’ window...

Depending on where you are, by the time you actually SEE the fire coming it's too late to get out because you're cut off.

What really caused this was the Paradise fire in Northern California last year. The entire town and about 500 homes were lost because of the fire. Caused by a transformer or power line failing.

Power outage

1 person reported died because they had no power for their oxygen regenerator at home.

No cash, no gas, no food. even if you walked in with cash who's going to have an adding machine to calculate sales tax and can any of the younger generation actually make change from a cash sale?

Unless grocery stores have emergency generators I wouldn't be buying any meat or frozen stuff from them for awhile!

Oh the real win is home owners insurance. We bought a house last December as the California fires were being put out. Insurance companies wouldn't sell insurance. Found one for $1,795/ year. for a $360K house located at the edge of a national forest. Just got the renewal notice  $8,500 for insurance! I'm shopping.

Ike

22 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Depending on where you are, by the time you actually SEE the fire coming it's too late to get out because you're cut off.

Yep, without TV or the Internet life will cease...I wonder what we all did before they were invented?...How did we survive without electricity? We cannot possibly live without it...

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Brain power has been off in Sacramento for over 3 decades now.

If I were a Californian, I’d be asking why the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) doesn’t have anywhere near the problems the California power companies have?  Tornadoes have high winds too.  And the Tennessee Valley can have high sustained winds in high fire danger areas.  In 2011, there was a large tornado outbreak and where I lived in Huntsville, Alabama, we were without power for 11 days.  But there were no reports of major fire outbreaks.

:huh:

6 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

And TVA is in high fire danger areas. 

Apples to lug nuts.
When was the last time the areas the TVA administers saw humidity just barely above single digits for weeks at a time?  When was the last time its area went with virtually no rain from May through October?

Admittedly California is drier than the Tennessee Valley but the Tennessee Valley can get dry and have wildfires.  The answer is, in the Tennessee Valley there wide lanes through forested areas where high voltage lines run.  They are called "fire lanes."

image.thumb.png.7fab365b63636948b7a9cd8eea6a9503.png

14 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Admittedly California is drier than the Tennessee Valley but the Tennessee Valley can get dry and have wildfires.  The answer is, in the Tennessee Valley there wide lanes through forested areas where high voltage lines run.  They are called "fire lanes."

image.thumb.png.7fab365b63636948b7a9cd8eea6a9503.png

Therein lies the problem. In Kalifornia fire lanes might ruin some tree huggers favorite tree viewing so it’s far better to just let it burn than piss the tree huggers off.

10 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Admittedly California is drier than the Tennessee Valley and the Tennessee Valley can get dry.  The answer is, in the Tennessee Valley there wide lanes through forested areas where high voltage lines run.  They are called "fire lanes."

I'm sure you have hunted in some of the CA or AZ chaparral biome.  How are you going to get a firebreak through stuff like
Image result for chaparral

Image result for chaparral

Image result for chaparral fire zones

Related image

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

Therein lies the problem. In Kalifornia fire lanes might ruin some tree huggers favorite tree viewing so it’s far better to just let it burn than piss the tree huggers off.

Simpler than that.  We don't have those nice broad, lightly rolling hills, and forested areas.  We have new geology and chaparral.  How many Cats would be lost trying to cut paths like those through places like this?

79415Related image

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Simpler than that.  We don't have those nice broad, lightly rolling hills, and forested areas.  We have new geology and chaparral.  How many Cats would be lost trying to cut paths like those through places like this?

79415Related image

I don’t know SDJ, I guess that’s where you and I differ. I have 10 acres and a power line crosses about 3 acres and every year the tree company comes through and wants to trim 3 sycamores, 2 oaks and a really huge eucalyptus so that the branches will be less than 10 feet from the power lines. Well I says “ While you’re at it take the damned things out”  And they say “ Oh but there is a hawks nest and a couple of owl boxes in those trees.” and I says “ The Africanized bees have taken over the owl boxes and driven the owls out and the hawks will build nests somewhere else” and the tree guy says “ Oh no, we can’t do anything that might disturb those owls” and I says “ There ain’t been any owls in them owl boxes for years because the bees turned them into bee boxes” and the tree guy says “ It doesn’t make any difference they are owl boxes” and I says” Why not just call them bee boxes because the owls have left” and the tree guy says “Because they’re owl boxes”. The trees are still there and the tree company just spent three days trimming branches that will be back next year for them to trim again. I’ve tried to get somebody to come out and remove the owl boxes but as soon as they find out that they are now bee boxes they don’t want to have anything to do with them and the fact that they are 40-50 feet off of the ground doesn’t help. So me being the good guy trying to attract owls as a natural pest deterrent has turned into a potential fire safety hazard because of the owl/bee boxes.

Okay Joe, you win.  I grew up in Fillmore, California, with the Santa Ana winds and we had the fire season just about every year.   Then with no vegetation in the hills to hold the rains, the flood season came.  I've seen Fillmore completely surrounded by fire with the only way in or out was by helicopter.  Then during the flood season the Sespe and Santa Clara rivers flooded and we were cut off by water where the only way in or out was by helicopter.  My and my wife's family live in the Bay Area and Sonoma county.  Cutting off of power is something new for them.  But I've also seen in California with high voltage power lines running through wooded areas that could be opened.

Note:

During one of those times Fillmore was surrounded by fire, a citrus packing house caught fire from two kids smoking and sniffing glue under the packing house!!

1 minute ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

the flood season came. 

AKA the Malibu and Marin House races.  Then the people rebuild in the same place.  Just like along the Russian River here in Sonoma County.  Every year it floods around Guerneville. Every year people rebuild in the same place. 
Top image is 1879 
photos of Russian River floods

1915image.jpeg.8810c22a67114d05c88c73d270a079be.jpeg

1986Image result for guerneville flood 1915

2019SJM-L-GUERNEVILLE-0301-36.jpg?w=620

Archived