SASS Wire Forum

Any clubs require Z-87 safety glasses?

Tulsey, SASS#11236

A couple of years ago when my retired L.E. wife had to do the yearly qualification. She was told to shoot at the PD range they  had to have Z-87 safety glasses. Since then I have gained a little more knowledge of what Z-87 glasses are and it is time for me to buy some new shooting glasses. So here is the question. Are there some home clubs which require Z-87 safety glasses  and is this a trend that I might as well get Z-87 approved glasses now. To someone reading this who has never heard of Z-87 glasses it is a standard started in 2003 and updated in 2010 and 2015 which requires certain standards and the frames must have the Z-87 plus some other marking after that depending on what type of lens and impact standard it meets.  Just checking  

I use them. I get 3M brand safety glasses from Grainger that have diopters in them. Most folks just wear their prescription glasses and maybe add the cheap slip-on side shields. No place that I have shot do they check or enforce the use of real safety glasses. Safety glasses are like seat belts; 99% of the time we don't need them but that one percent occurrence can be life-altering.

I've never seen a club require a specific brand or rating on safety glasses and many who ordinarily wear glasses often wear their regular glasses.

HOWEVER spend the money and get a GOOD pair of safety eye glasses.  Protecting one's eyesight isn't something to take a chance with or try to save money on less expensive safety glasses.  I'm using Wiley X with inserts for my lens prescription.

All the clubs I shoot at simply require eye and ear protection. That's it, nothing more specific than that.

I’m going to make a blanket statement here.  (Long time; I hope I remember at least the important parts.)

ALL “Safety Glasses” worn for CAS should meet, AT LEAST, the Z87.1 impact standard.  This is part, at least, of the Federal safety glasses standard required for virtually everywhere that falls under the Code Of Federal Regulations, Section 1910.(?) FOR “industrial” safety glasses.  Look on the inside of the temples of the glasses to look for the Z87.1 compliance stamp.  You have to ask for them.  BUT, better yet, look up and read the test standard that  Z87.1 lenses must pass.

HOWEVER, having said THAT, there is a higher, Military standard that exceeds the Z87.1 standard for safety glasses.  Generally speaking, such glasses are called “Ballistic Glasses”.    They are meant to resist flying debris, such as shrapnel, and other such hazards on the battlefield.   My advice is to get THEM....I did. 

I was ~40’ back, in a crowd, wearing some cheapo, non-spec sunglasses while watching a friend compete in a “shoot off” at an annual match.   One of his 125grain intact, lead slugs ricocheted back and hit me dead center in the right lens of my crappy sunglasses, and completely shattered the lens, but didn’t quite go through.    At a later incident at another range/match, a friend’s wife, standing with a group of women about 75’-90’ back, was struck in the right temple area of her head, very close to her right eye, by a ricocheted .45-70 lead slug.  She went down, very badly bruised, but recovered.

i bought WileyX brand ballistic glasses.  They come with dark and clear lenses in a sturdy case.  There are many styles to choose from in their line.  WileyX provides  ballistic glasses to the Military.  Look them up online and call them  for their ballistic glasses catalog.  I believe the catalog has the Military standard for such lenses printed in the catalog, and describes the Military test procedure.  They referred me to a local optometrist shop to order the glasses from them.   Around here, that is the only place I’ve ever seen them for sale.  I prefer gray lenses; they deliver the best color rendition.....sometimes targets are different colors; yellow and white come to mind.  Amber lenses may make those colors look alike (to me)..

REMEMBER—“Ballistic sun glasses”.

You might also check local gun shops for ballistic safety glasses, even Walmart Optical dept., or their sunglasses dept., or their sporting goods department might have glasses made to the “ballistic” Military standard.   I have seen some strange, or unexpected things in the local  store that I did not expect to see there.   Also, check the web.... query, “wileyX ballistic safety glasses”.....and, you may find them at some other supplier.  However, I’d check WileyX directly.

Cat Brules

I happen to have a pile of safety glasses on my desk, (always keep extra for visitors etc).  Here is a quick pic showing the marks on 3 different pair.  One is on the inside of the earpiece, the others are marked on the lens.  The blurry one in the back is actually printed in easy to read ink.  I smudged up the others with a marker so they would show up in the picture better.

Annotation 2019-10-25 123445.jpg

Archived