SASS Wire Forum

Taylor Tuned Toggle Link

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

Anybody have any experience with Taylor's in-house competition tuned '66s or '73s?  I've got the itch for a '66 or '73 in .44-40. The used ones I've seen in that caliber are few and relatively expensive. I'm considering a new one already set up from them or another shop. 

If they use replacement parts to do the Short Stroke, then they ought to be OK. I sure would not get one if they have been Short stroked via the Cut, Bend, Hammer and Weld method. 

I've never used a Cody-matic rifle so I can't comment on that. 

I'd call Taylor's and ask who does the work and then call that 'smith to discuss if you're interested. 

Otherwise, call the 'smith of your choice and ask them about ordering the rifle and doing the work. 

I do highly recommend feeling the short-stroke/action job of the 'smith you want to go with before ordering. Even if they all use the same parts, setup and feel can be drastically different. 

4 hours ago, Snakebite said:

If they use replacement parts to do the Short Stroke, then they ought to be OK. I sure would not get one if they have been Short stroked via the Cut, Bend, Hammer and Weld method. 

There is nothing wrong with cut and weld short strokes. Do you have any idea how many Codymatic and Jimmy Spurs 73 are competition proven? 

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

There is nothing wrong with cut and weld short strokes. Do you have any idea how many Codymatic and Jimmy Spurs 73 are competition proven? 

Removed, sorry to rant, and yes, I do have a very good idea. 

I have a Codymatic '73 in .38/357 and it's been smooth and rock solid for the 8 years I've had it. I also have an Uberti 1860 Henry that I short stroked myself with a kit from Cowboys & Indians Store. Very pleased with it too.

My dilemma is given the cost of used rifles that still need a SS kit even if I do the installation myself, I might as well consider new. Taylors offers them at an attractive price, hence my question. 

From what I was told, the Comancheros are done by Cody the other version short stroke they sell is by their in house gunsmith. Thus the price difference. Weather the in house installs a kit or not I just don't know. A simple phone call will answer that.

Archived