SASS Wire Forum

Who Shoots A Richards-Manson 1860 Army Conversion For A Main Match Revolver ?

Fence Cutter

I have a pair of Richards Type II transitions with 8” barrels. They are  chambered in 44Special. I shoot BP in 44 Russian cases in them. I am playing cowboy and not competing. With work they can be made competitive. If you plan to go fast I would go with shorter barrels as the original length of 8” ain’t conducive to speed.

I sometimes do. 5.5" barrels.

44 Special. 200 grain lead. Whatever Georgia Arms factory loads them to.

Otherwise full case of 3F BP under 200 grain bullet.

Natural pointers. My large hands have no problem reaching and thumbing the hammers one handed.

Very fun to shoot.

Cons? None I've found so far but I did get the frame fit to the barrel assembly and had them timed.

I shoot mine with full black powder loads. I only own long barreled cartridge revolvers so am used to the long barrel. I use a 200 grain bullet in 45 Schofield. I like the Schofield round with black powder. I do OK shooting duelist but not as well shooting with two hands. It is probably me not the revolver. I like the open top revolvers rather than the top strap revolvers. Shoots POA and feels natural to me. DC

When I do shoot suppository guns.

I shoot 1871-72 in 44 specials. 

Really about the same gun of what you speak. 

I too shoot 44 Russian,

But full load BP with a 200gr bullet. 

2002772728_2017-01-1418_16_25.thumb.jpg.a467480c07e496b938113c5a1f8e2709.jpg

My “pair” is one 1871 RM 8 inch barrel and one 1872 Open Top 7.5 inch barrel both in .44 Special using about 25g of 3F Goex and a 205g Mav-Dutchman bullet. Great guns. Both handle pretty much the same and feel very good in the hand. Mine are the smaller (Navy?) grip.  Love them with my 73 Winchester 24 inch barrel and Mule Ear TTN shotgun.  No cons I can think of.  Still come in about last but can’t blame the guns for that and I fell like I’m having the most fun. 

Seamus

They aren’t 1860’s but they are 1861 Navies with Richard Mason conversions, 5-1/2” bbl, 38 special.  They point better than any other pistols in my accumulation (can’t bring myself to call it a collection.). Rifle is a 44 Henry.

30DB59C5-35F9-46D7-90D9-C24FF6C178F8.jpeg

Some Lustrum ago, I shot a pair of Uberti R/M 1860s as Main Match.  Liked them, but, typical Uberti Open Top design, they suffered "Short Arbor" syndrome and required a lot of work and TLC to get "right."  Mine were 45s and I shot them with C45S cases, Barnstormer Bullets and 4.3Gr TightGroup.  I didn't like them well enough to keep them.  I still have and sometimes shoot a Pair of Open Tops.  the Open Tops are set up with .38, .44 and .45 Cylinder and barrel sets.  They are the only Uberti guns I liked well enough to keep. 

Archived