SASS Wire Forum

careful of them things with horns on their heads

That is too bad.  He should have been more careful.

Cat Brules

Never approach a wounded critter without being ready to finish it off if need be. Don’t assume it’s deceased. I learned my lesson from an undead cobra.

I was hunting in Mississippi. Shot a deer with me recurved bow and a three blade broad head arrow.

The arrow went through the deer and the deer turned and charged me.
I managed to get my bow up between me and the antlers before it got to me.

The deer died while still trying to gore me.

He should have had his gun ready, he was an experienced hunter from what I read, too bad sad story!:(

Hunting with a muzzle loading rifle.  After you fire and you believe it to be a fatal shot, wait for at least 15 minutes (30 minutes is even better) .  During the wait time, reload your muzzle loader.  Approach the "dead" animal from the rear and back;  poke.  If you detect life, fire a second shot thru the shoulders.  It isn't going anywhere after that. It is easy to forget the rules, but it can be fatal.

STL Suomi

I watched a video made buy a bow hunter that had a POV camera mounted on his bow. The video wasn't stable as he could only guess where to point the camera.   Anyway,  he was watching a picked cornfield when two bucks came out fighting.  One was BIG but the other MASSIVE.   This wasn't just a test of dominance where there was some clashing of antlers and some shoving.  It was a fight to the death.  The massive one had the advantage and would knock the BIG one down. Before it could get up, he'd hit it again.  Once convinced it was dead,  he made his way slowly out of the field.  The bow hunter went to the dead buck to check out the damage.  It was roadkill. 

The next day the hunter and a brother went looking for the MASSIVE buck.  They found it dead in a stream on the edge of the stream. It had been gored in the guts plus other pokes.  

Probably one busy forkhorn that season! :wub:

Archived