SASS Wire Forum

ATV info: Yamaha Kodiak or Grizzly?

Widder, SASS #59054

O.K Pards, I got a serious inquiry that needs some help with decision making.

I'm about to buy an ATV.  Right now, I'm looking solely at the Yamaha Kodiak 450, Kodiak 700,

and the Grizzly 700.

I'm aware of their prices, which will make me have a nightmare after I buy one.  BUT, I'm wanting

to know from any of the Wire Pards who may have some knowledge to share about the

pros/cons of these 3 ATV choices.

Thanks

..........Widder

It seems every YouTube video I watch, Polaris is rated nearly last among favorite trail riders.

The Can-Ams are rated higher.  The top 4 ratings seem to be a general consensus of:

Suzuki King Quad

Yamaha Grizzly (along with the 700 Kodiak)

Kawasaki Brute Force

Honda Rubicon and Rincon models

After looking at the local stores, right now I'm focused on the Yamaha models.

..........Widder

I had a Yamaha Grizzly a few years ago until somebody stole it so to replace it I got the Polaris Sportsman and then somebody stole it and then I got another Polaris Sporstman and I really liked it but Mrs. Lose made me sell it because she went out to watch me ride out in the desert one day and she was convinced I would kill myself. I tried to tell her that the life insurance was paid up but for some reason she wanted me around, so I sold it to a neighbor who was going to take it down to his place on the beach in Mexico but somebody stole it. End of my ATV stories.

I’ve been thinking about getting one, too.   John Deere tried to sell me one, but I wasn’t serious about it at the time.  I figured JD’s atv-thing was really made for them by one of the large manufacturers, like Yamaha or Kawasaki, but I don’t know.  As I recall, their atv was $12-16K(?).  

So, what do you folks who have one, actually use it for?  My neighbor several hundred yards from me, drives around on his place with his.  He does do work with his but most of his use seems to be  boon-docking around on it.  They just seem like overkill to me, for my 15 acre rancho.  But I do see a use for it, to haul around a dedicated small equipment trailer with a gas generator, air compressor, fuel tank heavy tool box with the usual + electric and air powered small tools, portable lighting and misc.  My cart, below, won’t pull a load like that.

Fact is, on my property, for the most part, I use an electric golf cart, altered slightly to have a small “truck bed”attached, behind the seat.  The cart has a top and windshield, can carry 2 people (though not usually), 200# of feed, and can tow a small garden trailer full of debris (not soil or rocks) or horse tack, or small tools, or etc.  I know when it’s overloaded and do not load it to capacity <90% of the time.  It’s simple, quiet, and easy to handle.  Batteries recharge in several hours and last for years, if properly maintained.   Used ones (golf course turn-ins) cost somewhere in the $3000+ range, or less.

So, having said all that.....generally, for these gas-fired ATV’s:

WHAT KIND DO YOU HAVE?

WHICH ONE(s) DO TOU RECOMMEND? 

$ HOW MUCH DO THEY COST?   Or, what’s the cost spread?

Cat Brules

Yule, you should set yours up to remote-detonate.

:o:ph34r:

Cat Brules

I have had several Polaris machines and they were all great quads. My 2 Polaris Sportsman 500s went everywhere in the Colorado mountains and then some, never any problems. If I were to get back into ATV wheeling Polaris would be my choice after several years of personal experience with them.

That said, I have a friend who loves and swears by his Grizzlies.

If you're into speed and love to feel g-force the 700 will get the job done. I like the speed and g-force too much and would settle for the 450 or 500 myself.

Depends what you want to do with the machine, are you towing trailers and plowing snow? A 350-400 cc machine is pretty gutless in the Rockies at 6500-10000 feet. We can license ATV's on the road in Wyoming, bigger is better. For just setting up a match my old Yamaha 350 Big Bear works fine. I've pulled out many deer and antelope on the front rack and plowed a bunch of snow. I have a Polaris, it's a light weight compared to the same sized Yamaha and the local dealership mechanics are really good at working on them. Polaris sells many machines, they are not rated as highly as the Yamaha. Hamley has a 450 Polaris that runs good, his dad runs Polaris Rangers, they seem to make frequent trips to the shop. Up on the ranch it's not uncommon to run a machine 50-60 miles in a day when repairing fence. The old 300 Kawasaki and Honda work good for utility stuff. If I were to look at a new machine today and wanted to buy new, I'd go with Can AM, they will haul ass and have a great reputation, they are spendy. My Kawasaki Mule SxS is the best all around machine and more comfortable. Use clear fuel without ethanol, and don't let the machine sit. ATV's are like boats, if you use them daily they will work well, let them sit and they will fail.

I have no experience with them except that a friend had the Yamaha 450. He liked it but wished he had gotten the 700 after getting his 450 stuck a couple of times. I don’t recall if he mentioned if he preferred the 700 Kodiak or Grizzly. 

Widder, 

what are you planning to use the atv for?  The grizzly is more high strung for sporty trail riding.  The Kodiak is for hard grunt utility work.  The 421 will do almost anything the 686 will do, it just takes longer.  For a bad back, the grizzly has better suspension.  For bad hips, the kodiak is easier on and off.

If looking domestic, I’d look at a full size Arctic Cat before Polaris.  The polaris engines are hit and miss.

I like the Polaris, on my third one. Buddy has a Grizzly, it’s a good machine, but I think the Polaris has a better ride. Like Dan said, if your going to ride at altitude, bigger is better. If someone is going to ride with you, the Polaris Touring model is very nice. Some places don’t allow riding double unless machine has 2 seats. My side/ side is a Can-Am and it is great

Comparing the 450 to the other two is kinda apples & oranges.

First question - what do you plan on using it for?

If you want to go trail riding, do the trails have limits on the width for ATVs?

While it's true the military has been buying/using Polaris products - that doesn't mean they're the best for everyone.

True, the Polaris units typically produce more power for a given size, but that power comes at the expense of more wear and required maintenance.  My experience tells me that the Polaris and Can-Am machines are purchased more for the high power and abused by the owners, which then leads to more repairs and bad dealer experiences.

If you want a workhorse that will last forever, I believe you'd be hard pressed to look beyond the Honda products.  I am partial to EFI over carbs, though.

Altitude riding...

500cc is bare minimum for safe riding at elevations over 10,000 feet. I've seen 400s and 450s struggle with even slight inclines between 10K and 12K. I took my 500s to over 13K on occasion and was confident in their performance.  Those were carburetor engines, not fuel injected, for what it's worth. You'll need to put smaller jets in carburetors if you go from lower elevations to Colorado Mt trail riding for optimal engine performance,  btw. I think most companies these days sell EFI though.

The Polaris 4x4 system was fantastic. Never got stuck. Maybe high centered but the winch fixed that.

32 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Altitude riding...

500cc is bare minimum for safe riding at elevations over 10,000 feet. I've seen 400s and 450s struggle with even slight inclines between 10K and 12K. I took my 500s to over 13K on occasion and was confident in their performance.  Those were carburetor engines, not fuel injected, for what it's worth. You'll need to put smaller jets in carburetors if you go from lower elevations to Colorado Mt trail riding for optimal engine performance,  btw. I think most companies these days sell EFI though.

The Polaris 4x4 system was fantastic. Never got stuck. Maybe high centered but the winch fixed that.

The big machines are great at elevation and otherwise. They do suck down more fuel and that is a concern if traveling in a remote area. 

We travel in areas where the closest pavement if 50 or more miles away and fuel is limited to what we have in the machines and in gas cans in the trucks. I doubt the area Widder would use his machine is as high or remote as in the Rockies. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Hell yeah, buy the 700 and carry lots of extra fuel.

Are you able to carry extra gas cans on the ATV itself? 

Cat Brules

13 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

Are you able to carry extra gas cans on the ATV itself? 

Cat Brules

They do make flat tanks that mount to the racks. ATV's aren't known for the best fuel consumption. They are geared low, heavy, and have lots of parts. Especially, when the throttle is wide open.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Altitude riding...

Those lower powered engines should also be reclutched for the high altitude power curve.  A properly jetted and clutched 376 gets around like a donkey.  Slow but climbs anything.

A 951 v-twin will run circles around it about the same ratio as it does at sea level.

Lots of good info.   THANKS Pards.

I will likely use the ATV just to play around on the farm and possibly some running around in the snow, should

we get any here in E.TN this winter.

There are MANY areas here in TN that trail riding is legal and abundantly used by ATV riders year round.

I may decide to do some off trail riding but I must admit, I stay away from #4 and #5 trails.   And actually

perfer not to spend much time on a #3.

And my riding won't be aggressive.

Right now, after looking at Youtube videos, I'm leaning to the 700 Kodiak with the 450 Kodiak coming

in 2nd.    I ain't so sure I would enjoy the bigger Grizzly.

Again, thanks.

..........Widder

Elevation probably isn't an issue since Widder lives in TN. Those are little mountains compared to ours, I live at 6500 ft., my other place is 8000+, and things only get higher. No one goes east to play on ATV's.

1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Lots of good info.   THANKS Pards.

I will likely use the ATV just to play around on the farm and possibly some running around in the snow, should

we get any here in E.TN this winter.

There are MANY areas here in TN that trail riding is legal and abundantly used by ATV riders year round.

I may decide to do some off trail riding but I must admit, I stay away from #4 and #5 trails.   And actually

perfer not to spend much time on a #3.

And my riding won't be aggressive.

Right now, after looking at Youtube videos, I'm leaning to the 700 Kodiak with the 450 Kodiak coming

in 2nd.    I ain't so sure I would enjoy the bigger Grizzly.

Again, thanks.

..........Widder

You might enjoy the 700 too much. If a motorcycle is really fast I want to see what it'll do, same with an ATV. Don't let any kids or inexperienced people ride the 700, they will do something stoopid. 

5 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Elevation probably isn't an issue since Widder lives in TN. Those are little mountains compared to ours, I live at 6500 ft., my other place is 8000+, and things only get higher. No one goes east to play on ATV's.

That sums it up pretty good.   At our elevations, we barely get a little ear popping.  ;)

..........Widder

Assassin,

My previous experience has been with a couple different ATV's, most notably a Honda Foreman, either

a 400 or 450 (I don't remember).

I think the Kodiak comes with 25" tires, which I may upgrade to 27"ers.   I'm thinking the 700

might handle the upgrade a little better.

..........Widder

1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

That sums it up pretty good.   At our elevations, we barely get a little ear popping.  ;)

..........Widder

We've already had a couple little snow events and it was down to 16 last night, elevation is better in the summer than winter. My mom's people are from Clyde, Cherokee area, I think it's 6000 at some of those big hills.

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Assassin,

My previous experience has been with a couple different ATV's, most notably a Honda Foreman, either

a 400 or 450 (I don't remember).

I think the Kodiak comes with 25" tires, which I may upgrade to 27"ers.   I'm thinking the 700

might handle the upgrade a little better.

..........Widder

Sounds like you just want the 700, and not that puny 450. Either choice is good, Grey Dog has a Kawasaki 650 and it'll get away from an inexperienced rider, just ask his grandson. The Grizzly is a great machine.

I remember a few years back, I had a Kawasaki 300 that was considered a semi-racing machine.

I traded up for a Honda Foreman.  I think it was 400 or 450 and was considered a big machine

at the time.

Heck, my younger brother had a nice Kawasaki 220cc and he could go anywhere my

Foreman could go.

Now days, the 450 seems to be one of the least sized trail riding ATV's.

Honda has the 680 and others have the 750 and 850.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Are we a bunch of old farts, or what?

LL

We’ve experienced hard work.  In 40 years, the doctors will be doing thumb replacements instead of knee replacements. 

The older 90-350 classes are apples to oranges to todays classes.  The machine weights, CVT transmissions, IRS, have changed the power needs.  If the Bayou 220 got stuck, grab the rack, lift and move sideways.  Try that with the Kodiak 700.

Compare the tire weights when going up to 27” from the 25”.  Lighter tires will have less affect on acceleration.

Been riding Atv's off and on since the late 80's. Back then Honda was revered as the best. Yamaha was close behind, We had Yamaha's as did a few others in our group, others had Honda's, Kawasaki's and Suzuki's. Over the years the Yamaha's proved to be as good or better than anything else so I have stayed with Yamaha ever since (until this year, trying a CFMoto 500 for my son, so far its been great).

Currently We have a 2019 Grizzly 700 (Had a 2012 before as well), and a raptor 700 (mine). Yamaha's are one of if not the most durable ATV's around. Visit any ATV forum and you'll mostly see the bad, any brand can have a lemon but Yamaha has the least. We've had no problems with any Yamaha. I've seen a few guys on the Grizzly forum get lured away to Can-AM and Polaris for the bigger motors or something only to return back to Yamaha for reliability. 

Yamaha Grizzly 700 with EPS is top dog for all around, you won't be disappointed, it has plenty of power, fuel injected so altitude and cold weather don't matter. 

I don't know a lot about the Kodiak first hand, I believe it does not have the front locker is the biggest minus to me, we ride some pretty rough trails and have needed all 4 wheels turning to get it through, a time or two we had to use the winch to pull my Raptor out of the mud or up a rutted hill where I high centered.

This is my wife on the Grizz in Chadwick MO.

20190705_111231.jpg

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Are we a bunch of old farts, or what?

LL

Thats me..... an ole 'sissy' fart..... :lol:

I sat on the Kodiak and it felt more like I was 'in the saddle' and in control.

I sat on the Grizzly and it felt more like I was riding SG on the stage coach.    

I was looking at getting the Grizzly UNTIL I saddled up on both of them side x side

and quickly preferred the feel of the Kodiak.

GUY50:  you are totally right about that little Bayou 220.   Very maneuverable, yet light weight

with some good pep.   Of course, we never try to take it into any 'serious' trails or wet areas.

St.Paw:  thanks for the info, especially your comments on the Yamaha.   That makes me feel

more assured of my purchase, whether it be Kodiak or Grizzly.

NOW, has any of my good Wire Pard and Best Friend won any lottery lately..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

15 minutes ago, Go West said:

In this day of $100K pickups, we also seem to have $20K ATVs. Remember those early 3 wheelers? 

20K!!!?? A Loaded Grizzly 700 is o...on...onl....only 10K! Don't make it worse than it is :D, Now the sport side x side's, are over 20K! I'd buy a used Jeep first and it would be street legal.

Actually with some patience and shopping, You can get left over or barley used loaded Grizzly's for about 8K. The 2019 I bought last December was actually listed as a 2018 with 60 miles and 6 hours. It was in showroom condition.  I bought it for under 8K and it turned out to be a 2019 which was good because for 2019 they had gone back to the reliable 686 motor and not the 708 that had some issues.

Archived