SASS Wire Forum

Death

I awoke this morning and learned that a man I have known and considered a friend for 4 decades had died yesterday of a heart attack at the age of 51. He leaves behind a wife, 2 sons a sister and his parents.

This is becoming too common.  So I am asking all my friends to please not die anytime soon.  My schedule does not have anymore room for funerals

So sorry, Mark.

Shortcake had THREE girlfriend's with husbands that passed unexpectedly from May to August. Two under 60. One 62.

Another girlfriend lost her brother in a crash in July.

Been a long summer. I think I can go without seeing a funeral home for a while.

17 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Unfortunately, death is the destiny of us all.

Not me, I plan to live forever.  Or die trying.

Sorry for your loss J Mark, you have my sympathy.  I've also hit that age where it seems like every time I turn around somebody I care for passes.  I'm frequently surprised by who it turns out I cared for, and how much sorrow their passing brings.

When you're 20 you think you'll live forever, but by the time you hit 50 you realize that was actually about the average lifespan of people hundreds of years ago, and only modern medicine has enable so many people to live to be in their 80s and 90s. 500 years ago it was rare to encounter somebody past the age of 70, which is why old people were so revered. That's why if you want to live long you'd better start having routine checkups and listen to your doctor. Oh, and have good health insurance.

And yes, I hear you about meeting people only at funerals. I have a bunch of relatives who I never see until somebody dies. Funny how people are like that. It's like they really can't stand each other, but when one of us passes on they feel they need to show up just to make it look like they actually gave a damn.

Most men in my family die around their late 50's... I'll be starting my 65th year in about 3 1/2 months, and lemmee tell ya, it's starting to scare me a bit.

Heart disease runs in my family and after having some close encounters of the worst kind I've beg all my nephews and nieces that are 40-55 to get checked.  Unfortunately, it appears they will learn the hard way like me.  

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Most men in my family die around their late 50's... I'll be starting my 65th year in about 3 1/2 months, and lemmee tell ya, it's starting to scare me a bit.

Men on both sides of my family usually die pretty young too. I figure I'll be doing good to see 70-75. Just turned 60. Of course we never know, it could happen......ACK.....COUGH.....CHOKE......just kidding. But you never know.

JHC

Sorry Mark. I know you must be pondering all of these recent deaths.  All you can do is pray for your friends and relatives now, and the ones that are near you, you probably should consider going to go see them and talk to them with a knowledge that they could be gone sooner than later.  Call the ones that live far away from you on a regular basis. Try to stay tough, keep a good outlook, be healthy.  That is what I try to do, anyway.

best wishes, 

Cat Brules

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Four words: Get yourself checked regularly.

Definitely.

My wife made me go. Colonoscopy found a pre cancerous polyp. Another last month was good. Good for 5 years now.

Stress test showed problem. Went in for"procedure". Had 99.9% blockage in an artery. Had angioplasty and stent put in. Good to go now.

DON'T ignore symptoms. Prevention is a must!

11 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Definitely.

My wife made me go. Colonoscopy found a pre cancerous polyp. Another last month was good. Good for 5 years now.

Stress test showed problem. Went in for"procedure". Had 99.9% blockage in an artery. Had angioplasty and stent put in. Good to go now.

DON'T ignore symptoms. Prevention is a must!

Now, you can come back to Hell On Wheels. 

My Mom and Dad have out lived all of their siblings. They are both 90+ and healthy. Neither expected to live that long and most of their friends are gone.

Dad takes no medication and has no health issues that require any. He swears medication is what killed all of his friends and relatives. Neither of them were prepared to live that long. Dad eats eggs and bacon almost everyday, on other days he eats bisquits and gravy. Dad is a Korean war veteran. I just had an aquaintance pass away from alcohlism at 37. 

Deepest condolences and prayers up.

I don't have the exact date yet of my demise, but consider this a minimum of six weeks notice.  If I expire in less than six weeks, you excused from attending :) 

Condolences on your loss.

I've got a friend who is a funeral director in PA. Once I pass, he can put me on medium chill for six weeks. We're good to meet your timing.

Just went to my 50th Class reunion,supprised at how many had passed away.Dont want to attend my own funeral.:D

Largo

It seems that every notification I get of a friend's passing, they're younger than me. Lately I have been contemplating my own demise probably more than is healthy.:(

My condolences on the loss of your long time friend J.Mark. Prayers goin up for you and his family and friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Death happens when the Good Lord decides that it is time.

My condolences for the death of your friend. 

I hope that he LIVED while he had the chance.

Duffield

On 10/25/2019 at 7:36 AM, largo casey #19191 said:

Just went to my 50th Class reunion,supprised at how many had passed away.Dont want to attend my own funeral.:D

Largo

Next year is my 60th class reunion.  I've never been to one but I have an urge to go this time just to see who I have outlived.

I'm not afraid of dying, but I'm not in any hurry, either.

Archived