SASS Wire Forum

4 or 6 inch S&W 629?

Go West

I got the itch real bad for a S&W 629, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a 4 or 6 inch barrel length. This will be a fun gun so no concealed carry, no bears, etc. And no, I can't get one of each. I have both special and magnum brass and will do both. Maximum bullet weight will be 240 gr. Any preference as to balance, gun blast, etc.?Smith & Wesson Model 629 Revolver - Item# 305419 or Smith & Wesson Model 629 Revolver - Item# 305420 ? Thanks in advance.

Mine is a 6. Wouldn't trade it for a 4. Always wanted a 6 1/2 blue "Dirty Harry". Buddy of mine used to have one, I was quite jealous. When I bought my 629 many moons ago a Dirty Harry was REALLY $$$$$ IF you could find one. I bought mine when they first came out, couldn't resist the SS. Buddy of mine shot a cylinderful and came back shaking his head sadly. "Gotta have one"

JHC

Mine is also a 6" wonderful gun I just don't shoot it enough.  Owned and played with it since the late 80's a nice accurate, smooth pistol great for varmints and targets. 

For thet model, a 6 inch is the minimum as far as I'm concerned.

I've had this one for over 20 years, and can't remember the last time it was out of the box... a dozen years, at least. It might be for sale...

6", 629, P&R, no dash. No papers, and I doubt I have any correct N-Frame grips.

629.jpg

It’s a .44 Magnum.....  regardless of what you’re saying now, it likely will wind up being the weapon you go to in a crisis situation.   But, even if it’s not....

You’re not likely to be shooting it regularly at targets after familiarizing yourself with it, because of ammo costs, the noise and the tremendous recoil.  In the field, ease of handling and carry is a big consideration.  

“Quick deployment” is a big factor.

—  Ambush, either by bad guys at home or elsewhere in town, translates to “a close encounter”.

—  Ambush in the field by people or by large animals are “close encounters,” too..

Neither of these will likely require long distance shooting.

All this comes down to “which barrel length?”

I suggest, and I would buy, the 4” barrel length.

However, YOU are buying the weapon.  So, you can consider all the advice, then buy what you like.

Cat Brules

I have two S&W N-Frame revolvers similar to your desired 629 only in a different caliber; a S&W Model 625-9 "Mountain Gun" with a 4-inch barrel in .45 Colt and a S&W Model 25-5 "Target" with a 6-inch barrel also in .45 Colt.  I love them both but as a personal preference, I prefer the longer 6-inch barrel.  The 4-inch 625 I use shooting IDPC because a 6-inch barrel is not allowed in IDPC. 

Go West, if you will be shooting the 629 often, I suspect the vast majority of the time you'll be shooting .44 Special and only rarely .44 Magnum.  When you do shoot .44 Magnum, you'll appreciate the greater weight of the 6-inch barrel.  If you plan to shoot IDPC, you'll need the 4-inch barrel.   So, my recommendation is get the barrel length that "cranks your tractor" the most.

If you ever decide to seek a political office, I'll also be happy to advise you on how to give wishy-washy, politically neutral answers.  Such as, "What's your favorite color?"  "Plaid."

S&W Model 625-9 "Mountain Gun" in .45 Colt

A9FXOY.jpg

S&W Model 25-5 "Target" in .45 Colt

8fz6yU.jpg

31 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

I have a M 544 in 44/40 Sweet shooter.

Largo

Ain't it just. And 5" is the perfect size for an N frame.

544, TWT, 44 WCF, 5 inch.jpg

8 3/8 is a bit long for my tastes. Longest barrel I've had is a 6. I can get a 6 incher for less than the 4, my guess is the demand is higher for the shorter barrel. Getting hard sitting on this fence. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the 4. Thanks for all the input. If you have more, please post. 

Howdy,

Another suggestion is the 625 45 acp with 5 inch barrel.

So easy to shoot and wide available ammo too.

Full moon clips make fast reloads.

BUT to answer your 4 or 6 question, Id go 4 because you

could carry it if you wanted someday down the road.

And my guess is the specials will be shot more than those tiring 44 mags.

However there are no losers being considered pard.

Best

CR

An N-frame Smith is not the gun of choice for concealed carry.  So, if you contemplate ever using it for self-defense, a 4-inch tube is probably quicker to get into action.  OTOH, I doubt you would want to use full-power .44 Mangle-em loads.  (I have only known one individual who could shoot full-power loads double-action and hold the gun relatively level in the process.  He was a deputy sheriff in west-suburban Illinois, and he had wrists about as big around as my calfs!  IIRC, his N-frame had a 6-inch tube.  For full-power loads or anything approaching them, I would prefer longer barrels. Of course, I have never owned or shot a double-action .44 Maggie, only Ruger single-actions.  For hot loads, I prefer the longer barrels, or at least nothing shorter than 5-1/2".  Of course, ideally, you should try one of each. However, I doubt you'd find a 29 or 629 in each length just floating around shooting ranges.

Best of luck!

My excuse for the .44 magnum is that I have a lot of brass and bullets and dies in that caliber. If I sell those off, I have an even weaker excuse to buy that caliber. :)  I sold off two Ruger bisleys in .44 magnum years ago with 4 5/8 & 5 1/2 barrels. The shorter one was quite fun with full loads. I'd consider the S&W an item on my bucket list since I never had that model.

Archived