SASS Wire Forum

Naval Aviation

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Do sailors and marines train in the same units. this is nearly two hours

All USMC and USN pilots go to a USN school initially and AFAIK a USN school provides the basics to all maintenance personnel. After that; more specialized follow on training is joint if the aircraft are common across both services. Which service has the training house depends on which service uses the asset the most. 

For example:

All F/A-18 training squadrons are USN squadrons. USN and USMC pilots train side by side as do all maintenance personnel.

All USN and USMC UH-1 and AH-1 pilots train in a USMC squadron as do maintenance personnel.

It's been that way for awhile. My dad earned his Navy wings in 1951 but didn't transition to jets until 1956 at El Toro, CA which was a Marine Corps facility at that time. Navy and Marine Corps follow the same syllabus and wear the same wings upon graduation.

Thx for the Youtube post, Marshal.  Looks interesting.

2 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I was trained as a Aviation Ordnance Technician at NAS Memphis back in the 80s. Marines and sailors had their own separate Units, barracks, and Command, but the training was common, and classes were mixed. 

It was still that way when the schools moved to Pensacola.

When I was stationed at NAS Lemoore Ca going through the FRAMP school there were Marines and Sailors in the same classes. However, the Marines had their own Barracks and Command.

Archived