SASS Wire Forum

I'm rich

Alpo

Next time you go to the Airport, walk over to the foreign currency  exchange and they should give you the American $$$. I used to drive Limo for 10 years and got $$$$ from people coming home from countries and tipped me in Funny Money. They hadn't changed it yet. I went in and asked if they would do it for No Charge since it was usually under $20. No Problems

Just Sayin'

Big Jake

I went thru a Drive-thru BBQ a couple years back and got some interesting change.....

A Buffalo Nickel...... a real old buffalo nickel.

But, it wasn't a 3 legged.   It was a 4 legged worth a few bucks.

I got a 1941 wheat penny in change just this week from a drive thru burger place.

..........Widder

When I was a kid I “collected” (threw them in denim bags my mom sewed for me) buffalo nickels and wheat pennies.  I counted 300+ buffalo nickels.  I never counted the wheat cents.  I still have those stashed away with other old coinsk.... mercury dimes and flying eagle quarters.  I never spent much of my allowance, so I didn’t miss the money.  My dad would ante up any old quarters whenever he got one.  It’s all in a couple .50 caliber ammo boxes out in the garage somewhere.  Wonder what it’s all worth now?   I’m guessing 15-20 percent over face value, if that?

Cat Brules

22 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I have a lot of foreign coins, many worth less than a penny. Many worth nothing because the country switched to euros.

Don"t dump them; I have a sense that the change to Euros will not be permanent for all European countries.

LL

You wouldn't have a clue by looking at him but have a neighbor that brokers in coins.  He buys out stashes of coins and collections.   He told of meeting an old lady that had ran a restaurant for many years. She had skimmed off the silver coins that had came through all those years.  She pulled out over $35,000 in silver coins.  On non collectable coins he pays a rate by market value of silver.  But checks every coin and pays a fair value for collectable ones.  He sales the coins to folks that want to convert their assets into silver. 

14 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

When I was a kid I “collected” (threw them in denim bags my mom sewed for me) buffalo nickels and wheat pennies.  I counted 300+ buffalo nickels.  I never counted the wheat cents.  I still have those stashed away with other old coinsk.... mercury dimes and flying eagle quarters.  I never spent much of my allowance, so I didn’t miss the money.  My dad would ante up any old quarters whenever he got one.  It’s all in a couple .50 caliber ammo boxes out in the garage somewhere.  Wonder what it’s all worth now?   I’m guessing 15-20 percent over face value, if that?

Cat Brules

Cat,

If you have one of the rare varieties, it could be worth thousands.  

My wife and I have been tossing all our coins into jars for the last 35+ years. Always paying with bills. We probably have over 60 some odd quart jars full of pennies nickels dimes quarters and half dollars.  It’s our intention that upon retirement, using our microscope we are going to go thru them.  Should be fun and exciting, who knows what we’ll find.

15 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Back to your origional question Alpo,

I would say about 1/4 of a Baguette

Bread in France costs $9.00 a loaf??!!?!?!?

Or do you mean something else for baquette?

On 10/23/2019 at 11:44 PM, Alpo said:

I found a $2.22 coin in the street today.

A French 2 Euro.

Wonder how much I could get for it?

On 10/24/2019 at 6:45 PM, Major Crimes said:

Back to your origional question Alpo,

I would say about 1/4 of a Baguette

14 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

Yeah, my maths is prob a bit out there, lets say 3/4?

Baguette is about .90€ in boulangerie, .45 in supermarkets.

Archived