SASS Wire Forum

357 verses 45 revolver

Trigger Mike

A while back I pinched my nerve on my neck and as a result the web between your thumb and the next finger is sensitive.  I had longed for a Beretta model 85 380 for years and finally bought one and after I pinched that nerve it was unbearable to shoot the Beretta.  Now I am finding that if I load 357 rounds into a S & W 686 or a Kimber K6 or a Smith and Wesson Model 60 that I can no longer stand it.  The pistol hurts that same area and even though I fired the 686 6 hours ago that web area still hurts.  38 rounds seem fine, just not 357.  Last time I shot a 45 auto revolver it felt fine.  Just the other day I fired a 4 inch barrel Kimber 1911 and felt no ill effects.  Seems the 45 would feel worse than a 357 but right now it is the opposite.  I worry if this will get worse over time and other pistols will be unbearable.  

I went to the dr when I pinched the nerve and things got better but it has been over a year now so I thought it would be better.  Any ideas?

I have a .45 ACP Smith I bought for shooting IPSC revolver many years ago. Works like a champ with half moon clips, with full moons if the clip is the least bit imperfect the cylinder binds. Do you reload? A downloaded .44 Mag might be more practical. Or shoot .44 Spl. Would be a much better selection of guns as well. For DA revolvers I've always been a Smith man myself. If you reload you could download the .357 to around a .38 +P and take some of the sting out of it. What kind of grips do you have on the 686?

JHC

JHC

the 686 has the finger grooved pachmyre.  I sold my reloader when I got children that always made sure to "help" me reload .  I hated to tell them no because they just want to be wherever I was, but you can't pay attention with a super talkative child.  I will try the 44 vaquero I have and see how it does .  38 plus P seem fine right now in a 357.  

There is a harness you can wear under your chin that you can fix up to relieve neck tension and possibly relieve the nerve in your neck. My dad used a rig he fixed to a door and used various weights to see what worked. A cord fastened to the harness went to a small pulley hooked on top of the door. He would read the paper or a book for a time and it helped relieve the numbness in his hands. You might also try wearing a glove. From what you're saying, it appears slower ammo is not painful, exception being a blowback .380. 

Go West, my wife used one of those at one time, it used water as weight. Didn't look like much fun. We always called it hanging herself. She had a bad disc or two in her neck, finally had to have surgery and hardware installed.

JHC

Have you considered trying to shoot lefty?  if not that, maybe there's something that can be done with the grip shape to take the pressure off the point that's bothering you.  Can you do anything to numb it?  Like maybe tiger balm. 

You should go back to the Dr, I think that problem is going to just keep getting worse till you treat the underlying cause. 

I prefer 44's myself .

200gr bullet and full load BP.

just sayin .

Rooster  

I went back to .38's, smokeless a couple years ago, I wonder what took me so long!! I have several DA modern .357's that I shoot .38's out of. I love that round!! .38 special rocks!!

Howdy,

If you have a pair of mechanix gloves give them a try.

I like the original style which are a synthetic leather not cloth.  

MFF-05-009 is the model.

And buy a size that you have to work to get em on.

About 16 dollars at the local discount store.

The variety of models will take the fun out of it.

The cloth ones are cheaper and wear out fast.

Best

CR

Archived