SASS Wire Forum

8.45 SECONDS! Matt Black 10-10-4

Colt Faro, SASS #54579

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

10+ seconds WITHOUT the arm bands.

8+ seconds WITH the arm bands.

See, I told you it was the arm bands..... :D

Now I gotta find me some of those arm bands and hope Red Knee doesn't find em first..... :lol:

..........Widder

Shhhhhh Widder you’re giving away all the secrets. lol 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gamer ! :)

Colt Faro, SASS

Jerry M. has a great amount of followers in Youtube, making a race with Matt Black will be amazing to watch and outstanding promo for the sport and firearms in general.

Allow me to link which bring me to SASS, beside my firearms attraction since  Lucas McCain (got my confession there)

Light 'Em Up || Cowboy Action Shooting Promo

https://youtu.be/BXPB8I1FuF8

Btw.

Since I have the opportunity here I would like to say thank to the maker, for an energetic, funny and family oriented short film.  

On 10/24/2019 at 8:05 AM, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

There must be a speed limit somewhere but Matt Black keeps lowering it.

I enjoyed the video, the young man is amazing.

Thank you very much 

50 minutes ago, czhen said:

Colt Faro, SASS

Jerry M. has a great amount of followers in Youtube, making a race with Matt Black will be amazing to watch and outstanding promo for the sport and firearms in general.

Allow me to link which bring me to SASS, beside my firearms attraction since  Lucas McCain (got my confession there)

Light 'Em Up || Cowboy Action Shooting Promo

https://youtu.be/BXPB8I1FuF8

Btw.

Since I have the opportunity here I would like to say thank to the maker, for an energetic, funny and family oriented short film.  

Contact me by email at coltfaro@gmail.com

2 hours ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

"I credit Lead Dispenser for starting a new way to shoot CAS, I credit Badlands Bud for carrying it forward and I credit Matt Black for taking it to perfect perfection."

Way to go young man!!

Long Hunter

Thank you so much my friend! I showed this to Dylan and he had a smile on his face from ear to ear. He’s always looked up to you and those kind words mean the world to him. 
bless you my brother. 
Colt and Dylan 

On 10/24/2019 at 1:29 AM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Can't say much ..other than WOW !!!!

Where'd he get the four-barrel shotgun? 

Oh--did he do a reload? 

I must have missed it.  

Just incredible ! 

5 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

How does one sense an ammo issue (in time) at that speed? Hopefully a squib would tie up the action.

When someone reaches the level or speed and proficiency that some of our Top Shooters have acquired

thru practice and more practice, trust me..... they know immediately with something isn't right.

An old Nash Rambler might get out of timing and nobody, even the driver, might not realize it.

But let a true race car get out of timing or a tire out of balance and the driver will know immediately.

Thats about how it is with our top shooters.   They use good ammo, firearms, etc.....and I

would count it an honor to TO any of them.

P.S. - ya don't become a champion with squibs or inconsistent ammo.

..........Widder

47 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

When someone reaches the level or speed and proficiency that some of our Top Shooters have acquired

thru practice and more practice, trust me..... they know immediately with something isn't right.

An old Nash Rambler might get out of timing and nobody, even the driver, might not realize it.

But let a true race car get out of timing or a tire out of balance and the driver will know immediately.

Thats about how it is with our top shooters.   They use good ammo, firearms, etc.....and I

would count it an honor to TO any of them.

P.S. - ya don't become a champion with squibs or inconsistent ammo.

..........Widder

I thought a heard someone say he uses full powed springs.  It would be interesting to know how his guns are configured.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I thought a heard someone say he uses full powed springs.  It would be interesting to know how his guns are configured.

I seem to recall from an earlier thread that Dylan's guns (pistols at least) are stock.  

What's real scary is that he's still young and he's going to get even better.  This time next year will we be looking at 5 or less seconds?

This is going to get very fun to watch but very hard to compete against.  

20 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

He uses the heaviest springs shotgun boogie has. He does not however have short strokes or any other mods to his pistols. He does use gunfighter grips and a little wider front sight and that’s it. It’s as close to stock as you’ll find on the range for the most part. 

53 minutes ago, Colt Faro, SASS #54579 said:

He uses the heaviest springs shotgun boogie has. He does not however have short strokes or any other mods to his pistols. He does use gunfighter grips and a little wider front sight and that’s it. It’s as close to stock as you’ll find on the range for the most part. 

Thanks for the info.   Just my thoughts,  but I'm thinking folks go past the point of sensibility for light springs. 

43 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Thanks for the info.   Just my thoughts,  but I'm thinking folks go past the point of sensibility for light springs. 

Howdy Warden.

Some folks might..... but I would venture to say that your top shooters don't.

They like a fast hammer.....matter of fact, to reach some of their speeds, a fast and sure hammer is required.

There are some folks who relate a smooth pistol or rifle (or even a shotgun) as a firearm with

light springs.   Quite the contrary with our top shooters.

If I ain't mistaken (and I've mentioned this many times on the wire), the Traditional and the GF

Cowboy World Records were set with either stock springs or slightly heavier springs.

That hammer has to fall fast and fall with positive ignition force.

AND, none of the pistols used were short stroked.

I ain't surprised that Matt runs those pistols.

..........Widder

Widder,

I'm not surprised either. There are guns I call campfire guns and then there are guns I call competition guns. 

Campfire guns = hey, look how smooth this one feels while showing it off around the campfire and not competing. The problem is a slow hammer hammer fall sets a speed limit.

Competition gun = hey, look how this one functions when it counts. 

'IMO, no one will every compete competitively with a campfire gun."

Seems like a lot of the newer shooters are convinced they need a campfire gun when a competition gun that goes bang every time with a quick hammer fall is what's really needed. Been there done that myself. :-)

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Lighter main spring means slower hammer drop and that’s a factor for Matt Black’s style of shooting. 

41 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Widder,

I'm not surprised either. There are guns I call campfire guns and then there are guns I call competition guns. 

Campfire guns = hey, look how smooth this one feels while showing it off around the campfire and not competing. The problem is a slow hammer hammer fall sets a speed limit.

Competition gun = hey, look how this one functions when it counts. 

'IMO, no one will every compete competitively with a campfire gun."

Seems like a lot of the newer shooters are convinced they need a campfire gun when a competition gun that goes bang every time with a quick hammer fall is what's really needed. Been there done that myself. :-)

Longhunter and Widder  are 100% correct with what they are saying. We learned the hard way that if it feels too good to be true it is. Also there is the dependability factor. We want our stuff to work so nothing we shoot is taken to the edge. 
The bottom line is you can’t buy a win which is what I feel many try to do with having the best of the best gimmicks out there and believe me there are plenty. That being said there are good solid mods that work and continue to do so. 

485434652_PiettaspringSept2018.jpg.4eb81eb53264cdb0a99ec9b20abc221f.jpg

These Cimarron Eleminator 8s came "tuned" with the wispy spring on the right. The Wolff reduced power hammer spring is in the middle. The left spring is a standard Pietta spring.  I put the heavier Pietta springs in them a couple of weeks ago.  

Congratulations Matt Black!!!!!!!  Simply incredible!!!!!!

Well I tell yah Matt Black Congratulations and as always good shooting. Been fun for us watching you over the years coming up the road always with a perfect attitude along with your Pappy.

Always fun to shoot with you and your Pappy.. Take care and God Bless Matt Black & Colt Faro

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly Puppy

Fun to watch! I was gonna say it's like lookin' in a mirror, but I couldn't force the words out of my mouth (keyboard).

Amazing. So smooth!

Can you give a breakdown on the splits in the run?

1st rifle

10th rifle

1st pistol

5th pistol

6th pistol

10th pistol

1st shotgun

2nd 

3rd

4th shotgun

Is there anything left?

Ringer,

you should be able to ENLARGE the screen and manuever the timer correctly to let you see

those splits.

Basically, 8 seconds split 24 times ain't much, no matter how you look at it..... :o

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Ringer said:

Amazing. So smooth!

Can you give a breakdown on the splits in the run?

1st rifle

10th rifle

1st pistol

5th pistol

6th pistol

10th pistol

1st shotgun

2nd 

3rd

4th shotgun

Is there anything left?

With my video editor and my videos, I can measure time down to a frame - 1/30th a second. If I shot in high speed, I could measure down to 1/60th a second.  There are ways of embedding a timer display in the video - provided you use an editor that has that function.  I did one of my stage performances and broke down splits.  More than half my time was in transitions.   Matt and Missouri Lefty can shoot a stage while I'm making a transition! 

13 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I wish I knew how to slo-mo that sequence and study his technique(like it would do me any good:P:P). It goes so fast I my old eyes can't follow the individual shots.

Well except for the 4 shotgun rounds.

Astounded , Rex :D

If you hunt for the video on YouTube you can slow it down to 1/4th speed.  Three dots in upper right take you to a menu that you can change settings. 

Archived