SASS Wire Forum

Ammo bags

Jaan

I shoot .44-40 in my rifle and .45 Colt in my pistols so I've been pre-sorting out the ammo the night before so I don't get them mixed up.  I've been using plastic bags but I thought something more fitting to the time period would look nicer.  I bought these bags direct from China.  Not bad for about $12 shipped total.  They're the perfect size to fit 10 rounds.  The heart bags are going to be for .45 Colt and the colorful bags for .44-40.   There are 10 round in each of the bags in the second picture.

20191023_151929~2.jpg

20191023_152151.jpg

When we started CAS, Sawmill Mary bought a couple dozen drawstring cotton sacks at a very reasonable price from some place in Colorado.  She's tried to find the company again but has failed.  Probably people buying bags made in China forced them out of business. :unsure:

Yep, Some use loading blocks, some use bags. Plain or fancy as you want. We use bags. I like them a little larger. Less chance of spilling them when putting the bullets in them.

Pretty easy to make up bags with correct count of ammo at home before match.  Then at loading table, just tuck empty bag in behind gunbelt. At unloading table,  dump empties in bag.  Dump bag in screen bag on gun cart.  

I'm sure guys like their loading blocks but most don't have enough to do a match so each stage they are loading their block again.   After loading their guns,  they find someplace to haul the block or often pitch the block towards their cart. 

8 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Yep, Some use loading blocks, some use bags. Plain or fancy as you want. We use bags. I like them a little larger. Less chance of spilling them when putting the bullets in them.

I wanted bags thin enough I could just put them in my pocket when I'm done loading.  For my D&D dice though I make round bottomed bags out of leather or deerskin.  I've been experimenting with using thicker leather for a "cup" on the bottom and thinner leather on top.  I still haven't perfected it, but here's a picture of a dice bag like that I made for my friend...

20190629_234553.jpg

IMG_20180615_010353675_LL.jpg

i like the solution , ive not had the issue as i shoot same in both but i had considered this at one point and not found a satisfactory way to keep things straight - i like that idea a lot , 

I use different colors of Hi-Tek coated bullets to differentiate between CAS loads of the same caliber.  Ensures that the wife gets a bang and not a BOOM when she pulls the trigger. 

She doesn't have the same affinity for smoke and flames that I do. ;).

30 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

She doesn't have the same affinity for smoke and flames that I do. ;).

That's cause she's civilized .....  :o  :D

I thought I'd share my answer to the loading table issue.  I re-purpose old wood boxes.  Boxes abut the size of a men's jewelry box or bible box are perfect.  First I reinforce the hinges with regular brass hinges.  I drill out loading blocks in the appropriate caliber.  I screw male snaps to the blocks.  These are .45.  In this case I can reload 4 strips that are housed in the box.  A fifth strip is carried to the range with a leather strap snapped to the block.  The strap serves as a carrying strap.  I carry one strip up to the line.  The strip fits into my hip pocket after I've loaded.  When I'm done, I go back to my cart hook the leather strap up to the next block and put the used block back in the box.  The blue you see on the blocks is machinist dye.  I mark my C.45 SPL brass.

73095676_3730723893620569_5909932272684892160_n.jpg

72947113_3730724853620473_8852747725356138496_n.jpg

Archived