SASS Wire Forum

Bad day on the farm

Dantankerous

Friend of mine was baling hay. Something went wrong. High winds, tank full of fuel. Bad day...

tractor.jpg

That plumb sucks.  :(

Brings to mind the fire in the shop where my son worked earlier this year.  Three tractors melted; he lost about ten grand in tools... and his lathe.

Damn! And people wonder why farmers can barely make a living.

32 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Where was this at if I may ask?

South central Kansas.

Burned up about about 100 acres as well.

I was bailing hay for my Dad and the farmer across the road from me was bailing wheat straw.   I saw him jump off the tractor and start jumping around and kicking up dirt and throwing it about.   I thought he stirred up some wasps.   Then I saw the smoke,  had to run a quarter mile the nearest farm house for the phone.  The year was 1978,  so not cell phone.  Bullett 19707

Folks we know had a garage business in a more rural area.  Also a parts store and towing service.   A storm came through at 2:00am and lighting hit the main panel in the garage.  There was an alarm system that notified the local fire department but by the time they got there the garage was totally gone and other two buildings were too involved to do much more than contain.   Total loss of the whole complex.   In a large building he had a heavy truck recovery wrecker, a slideback truck, a restored Daytona 500 Charger, some special edition Dodge pickup and several other collector cars and motor cycles. There were also maybe 20 customer cars on the lot - most were toast. 

Same storm, some 20 miles from the garage,  lighting hit a district ambiance building burning it to the ground. 

3 minutes ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

I have seen LARGE fire extenguishers mounted on several round bailers,  there is a good reason for it.

Blackfoot

Looks like there was one on the left front of this baler as well, he probably didn't notice the fire immediately and by then couldn't get to it.

4 hours ago, Bear Saint Paw said:

Looks like there was one on the left front of this baler as well, he probably didn't notice the fire immediately and by then couldn't get to it.

By the time he got out of the cab it was too late. He got out safe though.

Of course, he's fighting the insurance company now. Ugh...

Most around here farmers roll the tractor over. Ain't good results. Also getting hit from the rear on highways. Also ain't good results.

Archived