SASS Wire Forum

Texas concealed carry question

Dantankerous

I have looked but failed to locate the answer on the DPS Texas dot gov site so I'll ask Texans here.

This varies state to state, thus my query.

If while legally carrying concealed does a carrier have the duty to inform Texas LE that he/she are is carrying concealed at any time during the LEO/civilian interaction? Traffic stop or otherwise?

Thanks for any clarity.

From https://www.gunlawsbystate.com/law/states/texas-gun-laws : 

D. DUTY TO INFORM OFFICERS

Yes. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a LEO demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder must display both their license to carry and driver’s license. [http://gunla.ws/f0v2]

LL

Found a citation:

Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

LL

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you have a 'lick of smarts', you will.  ;)

OLG

I've thought about this issue before.

Amazingly, MA has no requirement to disclose CCW status to an officer.

Part of me says it's only common sense; surprises are not good things.

Part of me is concerned with the reaction of a MA police officer to a civilian with a concealed weapon; it is less common here than in some other states, and I'm not sure that I trust every officer to be calm and level-headed about it.  On the two occasions where I informed an officer during a stop, I could feel the tension level go up about 100%; even after I handed over my license and permit, I got the "Why do you have a weapon?" routine.  On balance, it's still the smarter thing to do, I guess.

LL

I was told that it was smart to let the officer know if you are carrying. When he runs your name it will pop up in the system so be ahead of the game and disclose up front. I have never heard of an adverse reaction her in North Texas. 

During a traffic stop I always get my wallet out and put on the dash. before the officer gets out of his car. That way the officer can always see my hands. Prevents miscommunications. 

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

As a former LEO-trust me, when I say it's best to inform the Officer/Deputy than not.

Why my permit is behind the DL in my wallet.

OLG

That's where I keep mine too. Used to be you got out of your vehicle. That could be interpreted as a threat. Now I turn on the interior light if dark, keep my hands in sight, and follow instructions.

JHC

Sedalia

I have heard of and seen on Cop videos on YouTube where the cop sees the driver moving around and thinks they are hiding something or reaching for a gun. Many have ended up with a gun in their face and on the ground with the car searched. I was advised to do nothing but shut the vehicle off and put both hands on the steering wheel. Let the officer tell you what he wants you to do.

Ike

15 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

That's where I keep mine too. Used to be you got out of your vehicle. That could be interpreted as a threat. Now I turn on the interior light if dark, keep my hands in sight, and follow instructions.

JHC

I will also turn the engine off.....If it ain't to hot outside.....

OLG

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

As a former LEO-trust me, when I say it's best to inform the Officer/Deputy than not.

Why my permit is behind the DL in my wallet.

OLG

With the current insurance card in between them.

Registration is binder clipped to the visor on the driver's side.

That way, the hands stay in line of sight.  No sense in making a feller nervous for no reason.

From a recent (last month) Texas LTC course. The LTC Instructor told the class that:

- Your LTC will come up when the Officer runs your DL

- If you are carrying, you must hand the Officer your LTC along with your DL, and notify him/her of same

- If you are not carrying, you do not have to present your LTC

With that said, I always present my LTC with my DL when asked by LE. When I was still on the job, and traffic violators gave me that heads-up, it was much appreciated. Often times, they got let off with just a warning.

20 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

not to be a language teacher here but Texas has gone to LTC (licence to carry).  Now if you're stupid enough (my thoughts here) you can open carry and be the first one shot :P

Thanks for the clarification on the terminology. And I agree with your sentiments on OC.

LTC applies to Texas residents but for us Texas wannabees, our home states call it something different. Mine is a CCL so that is the terminology with which I am familiar.

6 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Thanks for the clarification on the terminology. And I agree with your sentiments on OC.

LTC applies to Texas residents but for us Texas wannabees, our home states call it something different. Mine is a CCL so that is the terminology with which I am familiar.

If that’s the case, then I defer to the previous advice of others; give the Officer the courtesy of advising him/ her of your CCL, and whether or not you are carrying.

Also check:

www.handgunlaw.us

That site is full of good, updated information regarding other State’s laws and requirements.

I agree, I always give my LTC to the officer up front even when not carrying. No need to make him wonder why I didn't mention it.

Jax T

1 hour ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

From a recent (last month) Texas LTC course. The LTC Instructor told the class that:

- If you are carrying, you must hand the Officer your LTC along with your DL, and notify him/her of same

With that said, I always present my LTC with my DL when asked by LE. When I was still on the job, and traffic violators gave me that heads-up, it was much appreciated. Often times, they got let off with just a warning.

Most states don't have CCW info tied to the DL when a 28/29 is being run.

Ca does not.....

OLG

I don't believe Washington has any such requirement. I was told by a State Trooper some years back that they had long since stopped asking people in traffic stops if they had a gun in the car. He said they decided there was no point to it, and that indeed on numerous occasions it had unnecessarily caused problems with less-experienced officers; i.e., escalating tensions for no reason.

I don't claim to be up-to-date on the subject.

Since KS is a Constitutional Carry state now LE expects every car, every person to be armed now.

I am of the opinion that showing a CCL to LE in an encounter probably takes some of the edge/stress of the LEO wondering about the person carrying a firearm as opposed to just anyone carrying because they can. At least the CCL indicated the armed citizen has been vetted by the state.

17 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Since KS is a Constitutional Carry state now LE expects every car, every person to be armed now.

I am of the opinion that showing a CCL to LE in an encounter probably takes some of the edge/stress of the LEO wondering about the person carrying a firearm as opposed to just anyone carrying because they can. At least the CCL indicated the armed citizen has been vetted by the state.

We are trained to expect everydangbody we encounter, to be armed. ;)

OLG

20 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Good info, thanks. Even if I'm not "carrying" I have a friend that lives in my console.

JHC

In New Mexico the DMV is linked to the Nmdoj ,so the officer has the information that the registered owner does or does not posses a carry permit.

On the two occasions I've been stopped after getting  my permit,I presented my card along with license and registration,and was told" Oh,I dont need that,I already knew about your permit before I approached your car".

That's OK,I'm  going to show it anyway.Dont want any misunderstandings when a loaded firearm is involved,his or mine.

Archived