SASS Wire Forum

Welcoming Committee at the Big Ditch (Grand Canyon)

My sister-in-law and her unidentical twin sister came to visit us for their 65th birthday.  Neither sister had been to Sedona or the Big Ditch (Grand Canyon).  So my wife and I had the pleasure of taking the Twins to Sedona and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. 

For those who have never been to the Grand Canyon, photos can never capture the shear size and magnificents of this natural wonder.

When we first got to the Big Ditch, the welcoming committee came out to greet us; several bold and very fat squirrels. 

(There are signs around the Park not to feed the wildlife and some signs saying that the squirrels are the "most dangerous animal in the park" with cartoons of squirrels biting human hands.)

The Big Ditch.

VapXOp.jpg

The welcoming committee immediately arrived.  No telephoto photography used.

qobLX4.jpg

sMpy8n.jpg

pSicLE.jpg

A couple of "artsy-fartsy" photos

RoPhnP.jpg

The colors are changing.

8Fbqao.jpg

There is no place like it!

I hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim in one day in October 2008 at age 60. I was in good shape but the last 3 miles were the hardest thing physically I myself have done. Made it, though, and had a martini about an hour after crashing for a rest...

The guys who invited me along did it every year for 15 years, until about 5 years ago. And they were in their 70s when I was along!

The North Rim is quite a bit harder to access than the South Rim, but anybody who has a chance to should go there if they can. 

As Birdgun shows, the Canyon is really spectacular at this time of year, and the temperature is nice. Indeed, you can only hike rim-to-rim in one day safely in this season. These guys would start their annual trek in mid-October, shortly before the North Rim is closed for the winter. When I went, it was 20+ degrees before dawn at the North Rim when we started, 72 degrees at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Canyon, and back in the 20s at the South Rim after sunset. Way too hot in summer to do this.....

I did down and back Bright Angel Trail on the south rim in one day in the first week of June.  I was in my mid thirties and It was one of the hardest things that I have ever done, but well worth it. You can't comprehend the vastness unless you go all the way down. I have pictures down around plateau point where the horizon looks like you are on flat land in the desert. Pictures from the rim show what looks like grass which is actually 60 foot cotton wood trees at Indian Garden which is 2/3 way down.

Archived