SASS Wire Forum

Federal no.100 primers vs Fed. No.200 primers question

Ringer

20 minutes ago, Ringer said:

Is there any difference in their hardness?

I have come across some no.200 magnum small pistol primers at a good price and wondered if they ignited as easily as the no.100's.

latch on to them 200's.  My preferred primer, second only to GM200M

I have used both & never noticed any real difference between them.  If they are available, I prefer the 200s, thinking they will do a little better job with real black powder.  Can't say whether they do or don't - have never had any issues.

Holler

2 hours ago, Ringer said:

I have come across some no.200 magnum small pistol primers at a good price and wondered if they ignited as easily as the no.100's.

The 200 magnum is my primer of choice, 100's if I can't 200's. 

Randy

3 hours ago, Ringer said:

There is little or no difference in HARDNESS in like (ie: small pistol) from brand to brand.

There difference is in the compound placed in the cup after the cup is made. Federal uses a very sensitive compound. 

When choosing small pistol primers, there is no difference in small pistol and small pistol match primers.

The match primers go through one more step in quality control.

And many times, the match primers are cheaper than the standard small pistol primers.

Yeah, ditto to that explanation.  Mag primer, Fed200’s; a little insurance for light charges.

Cat Brules

Personally my first choice is to use the GM 200's, next the 200's then the 100's. never noticed any difference in performance. Started using the GM 200's and 200's under the previous administration when primers of any type were tough to get and that was all that was available. Have not found any good reason to change back to anything else.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW got your notice. getting excited to try em out.

second BTW A BIG THANKS for working so hard to get things out so fast - your extra effort is VERY VERY much appreciated!!!

The 100 and 200 were the same price from Bruno Shooters Supply in Phoenix, AZ. I bought the 200.

They were $28.20/1000 about a month ago. So I bought a lot. Federal had a $100 rebate going on too.

At that price and rebate, it was a better deal than some of the "free shipping" suppliers.

Just checked and they are now 30.50/1000.

+1 to Cat Brules

Thanks, BUT I was just “nodding in agreement,” or repeating, OLG’s earlier statement about cold weather/light loadings causing ignition issues, and getting an “increased flash” from mag primers.

OLG said:

“Lite' powder charges and cold weather make the choice of a 'magnum' a good idea, because of the increased primer brilliance.”

Cat Brules

I run 200s for 777 and APP.  Definitely get a more complete burn.

Some Lustrum ago, one of our more technical contributors ran a test of primer.  Tested them for hardness, fit and Flame.  I don't have those actual results.  However, Federal Primers (no matter the type) proved easiest to ignite.  Federal Magnum were shown to throw a little hotter flame with more flame travel than "others."

I have used Federals for .... ever.  For reduced loads or for APP and BP, my preference is for Federal Magnum primers.  I have not experienced any ignition problems with Federal Standard primers with APP.  I can't actually tell the difference between the two Federal primers.  If given a choice however, I always go to Federal 200 Magnum Primers.  

Do you folks find any real advantage to using the Match grade Federals over the standard blue box ones?

A number of years ago I had a long talk with a federal engineer. he told me the cups were identical, the only difference between the 100 and 200 was they ran the assembly line slower for the 200 so they were more consistent in primer compound. Same compound. Same energy.

Archived