SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter and duelist grips

Warden Callaway

1769465977_CimarronEliminator8Sept2019.jpg.782c8820ba8e893e590360e3b8895fb2.jpg

I thought the 60 army grips on these Cimarron Eleminator 8s would be the ultimate grip for shooting gunfighter.  They are good.  But seem to be a bit small in the middle and bell shaped towards the bottom.  I feel like they slip up in my hands when I shoot. 

1062729038_51NavyConfederate44sAug2019.jpg.3a4e213a7b6bee5986265a6b94821a49.jpg

For some unexplained reason,  the grips on these Pietta 51s feel the most natural of all. I don't seem to have a problem reaching the tall hammers. 

1720549165_HisandherssmokewagonsSept2018.jpg.0d442425c7f55162fbfc1157d32566d1.jpg

The checked grips on the Smoke Wagons and lowered spurs work well. I find that I crowd all three fingers up on the grip rather than curl my pinky under. 

727493417_ColtgripfinalJan2019.jpg.2fe2445d5f4c40f556e697ecda47e7aa.jpg

The eagle grips on the Colt SAA seem feel the most assuring.   I don't know if it's the magic of being a Colt or the eagle just forms a lump that fills the palm of my hand.

684885606_ColtSAA45ColtxDec2018.jpg.07883a987d36901786293646b9a8525c.jpg

It came with these ivory lite grips.  They were slick as snot in the summer months. 

5a750f27ef568_ColtSAA45ColtFeb2018.jpg.6e5beb68a2b8c994ab212517bfb5db3a.jpg

This old Colt has the grip panels thinned down about 1/8" across the middle section. Despite the lack of checking,  I can get a good grip.  The extra tall hammer seems to be no problem on this gun. (It was a quick draw gun in its early life.)

20160816_121501_zps1jgno8d4.jpg.2ff318a3c4caa61215e77fc7aadf7d87.jpg

I shot these Rugers with birdshead grips ok.  But they were a bit round in cross section and felt like a bulb.

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

Probably the most difficult for me to get a grip on are these Cimarron Lightnings. They were just too small and crowded. The light weight were of no help. Even with light 32 S&W loads,  the recoil was sharp.

In conclusion,  the human hand is very adaptable.  I think I like the eagle grips on the Colt SAA the best. Maybe the 60 army grips next along with all the checked grips on the Uberti.  

Mister Badly

I have been looking at those Texas Grips for months and am sawing my rear in half sitting on the fence. I currently shoot the SASS grip that you have shown above. I am a two handed shooter currently but thinking about gunfighter. Did you order the Texas grips stock off the website or are your custom? I am wondering if they are thin like the SASS grip or thicker like the stock grips? Any input would be appreciated. 

Sneaky

Because everybody's hands are different, there is no  perfect grip unless you use custom.  The best thing to do is try a bunch and see what fits you best.

I went with custom stag or elk for my guns 

22 minutes ago, William Hendershot said:

I like these Eagle gunfighter grips:

KYltSS7h.jpg

J9wiiKAh.jpg

Not the most precise fit to the grip frame but they fit my hand well. 

+1.  I’m working on transitioning to GF from CC. I’ve been running, so to speak, Eagle Gunfighters grips on my old model Bisley Vaqueros for quite a while and really like them.

3 hours ago, Sneaky said:

Mister Badly

I have been looking at those Texas Grips for months and am sawing my rear in half sitting on the fence. I currently shoot the SASS grip that you have shown above. I am a two handed shooter currently but thinking about gunfighter. Did you order the Texas grips stock off the website or are your custom? I am wondering if they are thin like the SASS grip or thicker like the stock grips? Any input would be appreciated. 

Sneaky

Good question, Sneaky.  I'm looking forward to the answer as well.  I've often thought of getting 1860 grip frames and fitting them to my Taurus Gaucho's in order to get a more full-handed grip (I don't like the pinky under the grip), but this looks like an easier and possibly cheaper option.

5 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Because everybody's hands are different, there is no  perfect grip unless you use custom.  The best thing to do is try a bunch and see what fits you best.

I went with custom stag or elk for my guns 

Truer words never spoken. Elk for me is a pretty close second, behind ivory on my colts 

I don't do any SASS/CAS shooting, but I like replica Colt percussion C&B revolvers to occaisionally create some smoke.

@Warden Callaway The Pietta 1851 Navy brasser .44s shown are manufactured post-2014 when Pietta changed to a more "conventional" style configuration, which are thicker and blockier than their earlier Navy grips. Prior to 2015, Pietta used what has been termed the 'tail" grip configuration which were longer at the base and slimmer at the wrist.

@evil dogooder You are most correct. The 3-gun photo is as follows:

ASM 1860 Army .44 full-fluted cylinder with standard Army grip profile.

Uberti Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon .44 (Walker frame) with Walker "slim-jim" grips, longer than the 1860 Army.

Pietta 1851 Navy .36 (datecode CM/2014) with the "tail" grips, shorter than the 1860 Army but larger at the base.

Regards,

Jim

Uberti Whitneyville 003.JPG

Pietta Navies.jpg

Lol. They are a bit wider/thicker than the sass grips but comfort/recoil control is excellent for me. I don't have a problem with the smooth grip but you can get the checkered. For me pistol control is fantastic.

Nice pics Warden

I  don't shoot GF but dabble in Duelist sometimes, shoot  mainly two-handed..tried all sorts of grips , now have these dimpled rosewood on C&B as well as my .45's & 44-40...think I will stick with them as they feel great in the hand.

002.JPG

Colt ‘51 Navy fits my hand better than any, followed by the 1873 SAA (Model P).

I do not care at all for Rugers.

Cat Btules

Even though the grips are different on the 2nd and 3rd gen Colts, I hardly feel any difference. I love Colt grips especially for duelist!

IMG_1407.JPG

Archived