SASS Wire Forum

What do people use wax paper for?

Alpo

Before we get into that - in the movie REMEMBER THE NIGHT, Fred MacMurray has a servant. If he was Japanese, he would be a houseboy. If he was English, he would be a valet. But he was Willie Best, a black guy. What would be his job title?

Back to the question.

Fred was going to go spend Christmas with his mother in Indiana. Upon finding out that Barbara stanwyck also came from Indiana, and had not seen her mother for years, he offered to take her with him and drop her off at her mama's place, so she could spend Christmas with her mother.

Along the way they get lost on a back road, end up in a cow pasture in the middle of the night. Hungry. Then Fred remembers that Willy had made a lunch. They sit there eating sandwiches and drinking coffee. Fred is attempting to guess what is in the sandwiches. There's ham and turkey, and dill pickle, but he can't identify the other ingredient. Barbara tell him that it's some of the wax paper the sandwich was wrapped in.

No one wraps sandwiches in wax paper anymore. They use plastic bags.

So what do they use wax paper for? It is still being made, so it must have a use.

When I’m gluing up veneer to plywood panels for small boxes I use waxed paper between the panel and my clamping surfaces to keep the glue from migrating.

I put it out on the counter, under our Christmas cookies, while they are being decorated.  The butter cookies and frosting do not stick, and the excess sugar crystals can be poured back into the container to be used on the next batch.

We line cookie tins with it before loading them with cookies, chocolates, baked goods, etc.

LL

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Before we get into that - in the movie REMEMBER THE NIGHT, Fred MacMurray has a servant. If he was Japanese, he would be a houseboy. If he was English, he would be a valet. But he was Willie Best, a black guy. What would be his job title?

I think Willie would be a servant unless he had a specific job like a cook or butler. 

I use it for glue projects, especially when using PL Premium.

The previous owner of our house had that awful foam insulation in the outside walls done by drilling big holes in the stucco.
I have the drywall off and putting 6x6 wire mesh screens on the inside of each hole.
The mesh is glued directly to the inside stucco edge.

I made a jig that holds each mesh in place while the glue dries.
I use wax paper between the wood jig plates and the glued mesh.
After the glue is dry, I fill the hole with stucco.

2017.01.09-Kitchen-14.320.sfw.jpg

57 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Chocolate Oatmeal drop cookies.

I know them as TOS cookies. Top Of Stove. Mama made them. Chocolate, oatmeal, peanut butter, and usually cornflakes, but sometimes coconut. And yes, she used wax paper. I never heard of parchment paper until after she died. She also rolled out piecrust dough between wax paper.

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I know them as TOS cookies. Top Of Stove. Mama made them. Chocolate, oatmeal, peanut butter, and usually cornflakes, but sometimes coconut. And yes, she used wax paper. I never heard of parchment paper until after she died. She also rolled out piecrust dough between wax paper.

I make them fairly regularly.  I use parchment paper to bake on instead of wax paper.  

Butcher paper/freezer paper. Keeps the meat from sticking to the paper and lets it breathe, which airtight plastic bags won't.

Hunting season opens this weekend. :)

38 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I can't believe I actually read this thread.

I can't believe you can read :P

Disclaimer: Just in case someone doesn't understand by the smiley sticking out it's tongue, I am only kidding.

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I can't believe you can read :P

Disclaimer: Just in case someone doesn't understand by the smiley sticking out it's tongue, I am only kidding.

I know you're kiddin', TC !  I can read just fine.  It's just that, at my age, the words are blurrier and I can't remember what I just read. :D

I carry sandwiches in a Tupperware like plastic container with a lockable lid. Holds 2 sandwiches easily and keeps them from getting smashed. Use wax paper to keep the sandwiches from sticking together or sticking to the container.

I bought a roll a couple weeks ago - put a sheet between the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby plaques when I packed 'em into a box.  Kept 'em from sticking and getting banged up.

11 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I cover some things I reheat in the microwave with it. 

I individually wrap some individual portions of things I put in the freezer. 

I used to use it to polish playground slides back when they were steel, but it just doesn’t work for the new-fangled plastic slides. 

Without a doubt, the absolute, bestest  use EVER for waxed paper!  I discovered this when I was four or five.  :)

Rip off a sheet, tuck it under your butt and achieve all sorts of speed records zipping down the playground slide.  :lol:

I use waxed paper for sewing.  If I'm working with fabric that has a long pile, like a bath towel, I put the waxed paper between the fabric and the feed dogs to keep the pile from getting caught in the feed dogs. 

Archived