SASS Wire Forum

CLASSIC COWBOY SHOWDOWN 2020 *** Venue change due to Covid-19***.

Major Art Tillery

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2020 at 11:34 AM, Chili Pepper Pete 11917 said:

I have not signed up yet but am planning g on being there.  Not sure if i’f going to shoot smokeless or BP yet but that really doesn’t mater much.

Best regards,

Chili

Be great to shoot with you pard!

On 2/27/2020 at 8:44 PM, Bulldog Brown said:

Major: I got a pair of 71 Navys in 44 cal. you sure can use. Sorry to say that I won't be able to make it. to many family thing this year. Best to all. Bulldog Brown

I appreciate the offer Uncle Bulldog!  Not sure what I am shooting for the match..hmmmm

Soooooo lets have a get together dinner on Friday Night, ya all up for it?  Chili Pepper Kid has recommended The Sports Page Grill in 1802 W 2nd Ave Indianola, IA

http://thesportspagegrill.com/indexindianola.html

Sounds like a great place not to far away.  Say around 6 pm ?  

Who is in?  Bring your friends!

Well I have not shot anything since the last Classic Showdown so today I went and shot at the Texas Tenhorns (1-1/2 Hours drive each way mostly freeway) They had a whopping 61 people for four posses. The largest attendance at a regular monthly they have ever had according to Hairtrigger Hayes. Since I'm considering shooting BP at this year's showdown I loaded up some smoking stuff and shot FCD so I'd have some competition. Had not ever shot smokie stuff through my 87 so it became obvious that I've got to spray it as I shoot because it got gummy and was not ejecting hulls. Kicked out a rifle round each of the first 3 stages and had to reload and when I picked them up they all had light hits on the primers. The last two stages I was recocking the hammer instead of kicking them out. Finally figured out I needed to adjust the screw on the bottom of my 66 carbine. Oh and I went off and left my gun leather at home so someone loaned me a set so I could shoot. I had a blast!  Will try it again soon with everything adjusted to determine if I'll shoot Smokie Classic Cowboy.

2 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Soooooo lets have a get together dinner on Friday Night, ya all up for it?  Chili Pepper Kid has recommended The Sports Page Grill in 1802 W 2nd Ave Indianola, IA

http://thesportspagegrill.com/indexindianola.html

Sounds like a great place not to far away.  Say around 6 pm ?  

Who is in?  Bring your friends!

That sounds like a wonderful idea and their menu looks Great.

15 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Well I have not shot anything since the last Classic Showdown so today I went and shot at the Texas Tenhorns (1-1/2 Hours drive each way mostly freeway) They had a whopping 61 people for four posses. The largest attendance at a regular monthly they have ever had according to Hairtrigger Hayes. Since I'm considering shooting BP at this year's showdown I loaded up some smoking stuff and shot FCD so I'd have some competition. Had not ever shot smokie stuff through my 87 so it became obvious that I've got to spray it as I shoot because it got gummy and was not ejecting hulls. Kicked out a rifle round each of the first 3 stages and had to reload and when I picked them up they all had light hits on the primers. The last two stages I was recocking the hammer instead of kicking them out. Finally figured out I needed to adjust the screw on the bottom of my 66 carbine. Oh and I went off and left my gun leather at home so someone loaned me a set so I could shoot. I had a blast!  Will try it again soon with everything adjusted to determine if I'll shoot Smokie Classic Cowboy.

Getting all the bugs worked out huh.. Not a bad idea. I need to go through my firearms too, think last I shot was in October at a clubs annual here in Kansas. 

I am still deciding if I will shoot black powder yet...  Either way I plan to have fun!  Can't wait for this match to get here!

1 hour ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Getting all the bugs worked out huh.. Not a bad idea. I need to go through my firearms too, think last I shot was in October at a clubs annual here in Kansas. 

I am still deciding if I will shoot black powder yet...  Either way I plan to have fun!  Can't wait for this match to get here!

Google can be a friend, I now know how to take my 87 apart, clean it and put it all back together. From this I'm pretty sure I know what to do during a match while shooting smoking stuff to keep it running like it should.

Ok folks.. Today was the last day to have your $5 sent to me for a chance to win an entry for the 2020 Classic Cowboy Showdown!  

The winner of this was Tennessee Whiskers !  Congrats pard and See you at the Showdown!

3 minutes ago, Major Art Tillery said:

Ok folks.. Today was the last day to have your $5 sent to me for a chance to win an entry for the 2020 Classic Cowboy Showdown!  

The winner of this was Tennessee Whiskers !  Congrats pard and See you at the Showdown!

Congratulations Tennessee Whiskers! 

• 3 weeks later...

So are they still holding out hope this match can go on as scheduled? Many big matches have already been postponed to the fall. I've canceled all my planned trips and cancelled all motel reservations.  Not sure how long this COVID-19 situation will last. Everyone stay safe out there.

Scout

23 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

So are they still holding out hope this match can go on as scheduled? Many big matches have already been postponed to the fall. I've canceled all my planned trips and cancelled all motel reservations.  Not sure how long this COVID-19 situation will last. Everyone stay safe out there.

Scout

Still waiting on word myself... Will be in touch.

20 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Scout

When Fort Des Moines Rangers cancelled the monthly match scheduled for this Sunday this is what they posted about the State/Classic Cowboy shoot: 

The Officers continue to monitor updated Covid-19 conditions every week. A decision will be made and announced within a reasonable time period before the match date.

I'll let you know if I hear more. 

8 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

When Fort Des Moines Rangers cancelled the monthly match scheduled for this Sunday this is what they posted about the State/Classic Cowboy shoot: 

The Officers continue to monitor updated Covid-19 conditions every week. A decision will be made and announced within a reasonable time period before the match date.

I'll let you know if I hear more. 

Thanks CPK

Stay safe my friend

3 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Thanks CPK

Stay safe my friend

Doing the best I can. Following protocols to the letter. Cut down 'stache so it fits under mask. Trying to get more sleep (kinda hard to do with the stress), eating better, drinking less alcohol  and taking vitamins. Just trying to take better care of myself so when I get IT I might survive in decent shape. 

The life of a COVID-19 warrior/ Respiratory Therapist. 

On 4/1/2020 at 7:15 PM, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Cut down 'stache .......drinking less alcohol   

The life of a COVID-19 warrior/ Respiratory Therapist. 

Sorry to hear that buddy.

Stay safe & thanks.

Posted on other thread:

"In light of all the health and safety concerns surrounding us all we have decided to postpone the Iowa State Shoot to July 3rd to 5th.  We are planning for a great shoot and will certainly have the range ready for you all to get back to the game we all love.  In the mean time please stay safe.  Hope to see you all soon".

7 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Posted on other thread:

"In light of all the health and safety concerns surrounding us all we have decided to postpone the Iowa State Shoot to July 3rd to 5th.  We are planning for a great shoot and will certainly have the range ready for you all to get back to the game we all love.  In the mean time please stay safe.  Hope to see you all soon".

Thanks for the update, lets all pray that things across the country will indeed be better by then. Everyone stay safe and properly separated. 

As some of you may have heard by now, there has been a date change to the Iowa State match.  This change is due to the on going Covid-19 problem in the country this year, it was the right decision to be made... As folks travel from all over for the event.   The new date will be July 4th weekend.  I urge all that can make the trip to attend and shoot... It is a great club and folks.

Now to the bad news.... Due to this date change myself and others helping with awards for the Classic Cowboy / Cowgirl Showdown can not make it.  This Covid-19 virus is really messing with me year.  So unfortunately I have had to make the decision to pull the Showdown from the Iowa State match this year.  I have hope things next year will be back on track, and we can try to bring the Showdown back to Iowa again in 2021.

I am currently working with a great club in Kansas, with hopes that we can still bring you a Classic Cowboy Showdown this fall.  Stay tuned for more info on that.

I will be in contact with folks that have stepped forward to help to put a Showdown on in Iowa... And get things squared away with you all.  Once again I am deeply saddened to have to make the choice to pull the Showdown from Iowa this year.

Ya all take care and be safe during these troubled times in our country.  May we all get together down the trail and throw some lead as Classics

I think that is a great idea.  especially in Black Powder.  Wish I was closer. May have to start one on the East Coast. 

Thanks for your dedication, spirit, and ongoing work, Major.

Looking forward to whatever you decide.

:D

27 minutes ago, Bulldog Brown said:

Thanks also for your dedication,  With the change of dates Miss Connie and I will be at Parker with bells on.

Here is a link to the new thread 

Archived