Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Johnny Prince

Schofield Num 3 45 or 38spl

Recommended Posts

I know all the pitfalls of Schofields, but I have dreamed of having one.  I have heard a lot of debate and wanted to make a call on the caliber.   I do not foresee myself loading in the next few years.   So ammo price is a factor.
 

My understanding is:

45colt is more expense but it would make the pistol lighter.  I have fired one in 45, but have no comparison.  I assume the recoil difference is nominal due to the weight (assuming cowboy loads of course).

 

38spl is cheaper and may have less recoil, but would it really make the pistol that much heavier?
 

I will match my rifle to the pistol caliber so I am factoring this as well.

 

All advice is appreciated and will be considered.

Edited by Johnny Prince

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would concern myself with ammo cost if you don't reload over the weight of the gun. Check your local gun store and look at prices. On the other hand, if you only shoot a few times a year, the per round cost shouldn't be a big deal. You also might want to check the fit of the gun in your hand. They are large and the reach to the hammer (if you shoot duelist) can be an issue. I have two 5" models in .45 that are fun to shoot, but I'm quicker with a Ruger or clone. I shoot Schofield rounds usually with a 180 or 200 gr. bullet. Recoil is not an issue. Reloading big bores is where you can save the most. 

Edited by Go West
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think you'll be in the Classic Cowboy category anytime soon get the .45s.

 

Get a budget friendly single stage press and go ahead and start reloading.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Johnny Prince said:

but I have dreamed of having one.

 

It won't be one Schofield you buy, but two, of course.

 

About 85% of cowboy shooters go with .38 spl.  If you are trying to be fast or keep costs down, that is the obvious choice.

 

If you are trying to be different,  perhaps .45 Colt in a Schofield is your ticket.

 

The weight difference will be unnoticeable in a match, unless you have physical challenges..

 

Good luck, GJ

 

 

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are other calibers besides .45?
Who knew? 

:lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There are other calibers besides .45?
Who knew? 

:lol:

 

I'll add this, there are Schofields in .38?   I did not know that.    I could be incorrect, but I did not think it was an option.   Of the few Schofields I've seen over the years, they've all been big bore guns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot a pair of Schofields in 38 spl. from time to time. That don't feel any heavier than my Ruger 357's. Lot of fun to shoot but they sit in your hand differently than a SAA. Longer reach to the hammer than the Ruger shooting one handed. Also need different holsters than SAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

I'll add this, there are Schofields in .38?   I did not know that.    I could be incorrect, but I did not think it was an option.   Of the few Schofields I've seen over the years, they've all been big bore guns.

 

Taylors Firearms

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy

 

Yes, Uberti chambers the Schofield for 38 Special.

 

https://www.uberti-usa.com/top-break-revolver

 

Uberti makes a 38 Special Schofield in four flavors. Five inch barrel and seven inch barrel, blued or nickel plated. Yes, any revolver chambered for 38 Special vs 45 will always be heavier because the holes for the bore and chambers are smaller. I went to the Uberti website hoping they listed the different weights, but they do not.

 

Yes, reaching the hammer with your thumb is more of a stretch with any S&W #3 Top Break than with a Colt style revolver.

 

No, you do not have to buy two Schofields. Nothing says your two main match pistols have to be the same..

 

SampW%20New%20MOdel%20Number%20Three%20a

 

 

 

 

But if you care about being competitive, it is. always a good idea if they match.

 

Obviously I don't care about being competitive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

 

No, you do not have to buy two Schofields. Nothing says your two main match pistols have to be the same..

 

SampW%20New%20MOdel%20Number%20Three%20a

 

But if you care about being competitive, it is. always a good idea if they match.

 

Obviously I don't care about being competitive.

 

Dang it...

 

Neither do I.   :)

695681111_MerinSmith.thumb.jpg.f2009353ebf5b6cd441e60affe199bcb.jpg

Mine are .44-40's.   As to them not matching, yes, they don't.   But the action on these two pistols are nearly identical.  Aside from the ejection method and grip shape of course.   But internally, many parts are interchangable.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah being competitive is not a top priority as I will only really go to local games.  More about dressing up and shooting fun guns!

 

I like the idea of using 45 Schofield.  And than using 45 colt in the rifle.  I would get a matching pair for sure.  Maybe eventually get some trigger and action work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Well ..... Aummmmmm .... :o   Just to throw some fuel on yer fire ....  A toggle link rifle chambered for 45 Colt will run 45 Schofield cases all day.  Onliest caveat is OAL of the cartridge.  A Toggle Link (Henry, 1866 or 1873) won't like a Schofield case with a bullet shorter than a 200Gr RNFP.  With a modified Carrier Block for the Toggle Link, you can also run Cowboy 45 Special in all three.

 

The only way to play this game and not go in the poor house, is to reload.  Regardless of caliber.  A simple Lee Classic single stage press, and a set of dies will get you going just fine.  You can even use Lee powder scoops until you get a powder measure.  This is a most FUN game.

 

PS:  Forgot to add .... should you find yourself in dire need of a 3 1/2 inch .38 :blush:  I would gladly introduce you to my evil twin, Hacksaw MacGurk.

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker
Add Comment
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

 

Well ..... Aummmmmm .... :o   Just to throw some fuel on yer fire ....  A toggle link rifle chambered for 45 Colt will run 45 Schofield caesura all day.  Onliest caveat is OAL of the cartridge.  A Toggle Link (Henry, 1866 or 1873) won't like a Schofield case with a bullet shorter than a 200Gr RNFP.  With a modified Carrier Block for the Toggle Link, you can also run Cowboy 45 Special in all three.

 

The only way to play this game and not go in the poor house, is to reload.  Regardless of caliber.  A simple Lee Classic single stage press, and a set of dies will get you going just fine.  You can even use Lee powder scoops until you get a powder measure.  This is a most FUN game.


I am sure I will end up reloading, just probably after I get settled a bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uberti Schofields also come in 3 1/2", though that may be only 45 Colt.  

If you want to shoot 45 Schofield rounds in it, those will likely be even more expensive than 45 Colt if you buy the ammo.

Uberti made the Schofield in 45 Colt only for a long time.  Back when Navy Arms was the exclusive importer, shooters were clamoring for it to come in .38 Spcl.  It took several years, and then when they were finally available in .38... a lot of them ended up sitting on shelves for a long time.  Go figure.  Available in 44-40 as well, BTW.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dang , i once had a brace of these and let them go - now im thinking i made a mistake , bet this will cost me dearly , 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

 

Yes, Uberti chambers the Schofield for 38 Special.

 

https://www.uberti-usa.com/top-break-revolver

 

Uberti makes a 38 Special Schofield in four flavors. Five inch barrel and seven inch barrel, blued or nickel plated. Yes, any revolver chambered for 38 Special vs 45 will always be heavier because the holes for the bore and chambers are smaller. I went to the Uberti website hoping they listed the different weights, but they do not.

 

Yes, reaching the hammer with your thumb is more of a stretch with any S&W #3 Top Break than with a Colt style revolver.

 

No, you do not have to buy two Schofields. Nothing says your two main match pistols have to be the same..

 

SampW%20New%20MOdel%20Number%20Three%20a

 

 

 

 

But if you care about being competitive, it is. always a good idea if they match.

 

Obviously I don't care about being competitive.

But, you definitely win on style points. Nice looking pistolas. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.45 for fighting, .38 for fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay.  I will offend some and make others happy.  I went with 45L.  T&C Schofields.. got them in 24 hours at a good price.

 

I appreciate all the feedback, excited to get these out for a shot!  Thanks for all the feedback.

3C0E814F-73E2-4810-910F-13BD4AC31794.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can give them a do it yourself action job by lightening the flat mainsprings with an hourglass shape. I bought replacements just in case I went too far. Enjoy your guns.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Go West said:

You can give them a do it yourself action job by lightening the flat mainsprings with an hourglass shape. I bought replacements just in case I went too far. Enjoy your guns.


I might give that a shot.  Going to run them both through some rounds next week and see how they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.