SASS Wire Forum

Schofield Num 3 45 or 38spl

Johnny Prince

I know all the pitfalls of Schofields, but I have dreamed of having one.  I have heard a lot of debate and wanted to make a call on the caliber.   I do not foresee myself loading in the next few years.   So ammo price is a factor.

My understanding is:

45colt is more expense but it would make the pistol lighter.  I have fired one in 45, but have no comparison.  I assume the recoil difference is nominal due to the weight (assuming cowboy loads of course).

38spl is cheaper and may have less recoil, but would it really make the pistol that much heavier?

I will match my rifle to the pistol caliber so I am factoring this as well.

All advice is appreciated and will be considered.

I would concern myself with ammo cost if you don't reload over the weight of the gun. Check your local gun store and look at prices. On the other hand, if you only shoot a few times a year, the per round cost shouldn't be a big deal. You also might want to check the fit of the gun in your hand. They are large and the reach to the hammer (if you shoot duelist) can be an issue. I have two 5" models in .45 that are fun to shoot, but I'm quicker with a Ruger or clone. I shoot Schofield rounds usually with a 180 or 200 gr. bullet. Recoil is not an issue. Reloading big bores is where you can save the most. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Prince said:

but I have dreamed of having one.

It won't be one Schofield you buy, but two, of course.

About 85% of cowboy shooters go with .38 spl.  If you are trying to be fast or keep costs down, that is the obvious choice.

If you are trying to be different,  perhaps .45 Colt in a Schofield is your ticket.

The weight difference will be unnoticeable in a match, unless you have physical challenges..

Good luck, GJ

There are other calibers besides .45?
Who knew? 

:lol:

35 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There are other calibers besides .45?
Who knew? 

:lol:

I'll add this, there are Schofields in .38?   I did not know that.    I could be incorrect, but I did not think it was an option.   Of the few Schofields I've seen over the years, they've all been big bore guns.

I shoot a pair of Schofields in 38 spl. from time to time. That don't feel any heavier than my Ruger 357's. Lot of fun to shoot but they sit in your hand differently than a SAA. Longer reach to the hammer than the Ruger shooting one handed. Also need different holsters than SAA.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I'll add this, there are Schofields in .38?   I did not know that.    I could be incorrect, but I did not think it was an option.   Of the few Schofields I've seen over the years, they've all been big bore guns.

Taylors Firearms

Howdy

Yes, Uberti chambers the Schofield for 38 Special.

https://www.uberti-usa.com/top-break-revolver

Uberti makes a 38 Special Schofield in four flavors. Five inch barrel and seven inch barrel, blued or nickel plated. Yes, any revolver chambered for 38 Special vs 45 will always be heavier because the holes for the bore and chambers are smaller. I went to the Uberti website hoping they listed the different weights, but they do not.

Yes, reaching the hammer with your thumb is more of a stretch with any S&W #3 Top Break than with a Colt style revolver.

No, you do not have to buy two Schofields. Nothing says your two main match pistols have to be the same..

SampW%20New%20MOdel%20Number%20Three%20a

But if you care about being competitive, it is. always a good idea if they match.

Obviously I don't care about being competitive.

59 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

No, you do not have to buy two Schofields. Nothing says your two main match pistols have to be the same..

But if you care about being competitive, it is. always a good idea if they match.

Dang it...

Neither do I.   :)

695681111_MerinSmith.thumb.jpg.f2009353ebf5b6cd441e60affe199bcb.jpg

Mine are .44-40's.   As to them not matching, yes, they don't.   But the action on these two pistols are nearly identical.  Aside from the ejection method and grip shape of course.   But internally, many parts are interchangable.

Yeah being competitive is not a top priority as I will only really go to local games.  More about dressing up and shooting fun guns!

I like the idea of using 45 Schofield.  And than using 45 colt in the rifle.  I would get a matching pair for sure.  Maybe eventually get some trigger and action work.

Well ..... Aummmmmm .... :o   Just to throw some fuel on yer fire ....  A toggle link rifle chambered for 45 Colt will run 45 Schofield cases all day.  Onliest caveat is OAL of the cartridge.  A Toggle Link (Henry, 1866 or 1873) won't like a Schofield case with a bullet shorter than a 200Gr RNFP.  With a modified Carrier Block for the Toggle Link, you can also run Cowboy 45 Special in all three.

The only way to play this game and not go in the poor house, is to reload.  Regardless of caliber.  A simple Lee Classic single stage press, and a set of dies will get you going just fine.  You can even use Lee powder scoops until you get a powder measure.  This is a most FUN game.

PS:  Forgot to add .... should you find yourself in dire need of a 3 1/2 inch .38 :blush:  I would gladly introduce you to my evil twin, Hacksaw MacGurk.

9 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Well ..... Aummmmmm .... :o   Just to throw some fuel on yer fire ....  A toggle link rifle chambered for 45 Colt will run 45 Schofield caesura all day.  Onliest caveat is OAL of the cartridge.  A Toggle Link (Henry, 1866 or 1873) won't like a Schofield case with a bullet shorter than a 200Gr RNFP.  With a modified Carrier Block for the Toggle Link, you can also run Cowboy 45 Special in all three.

The only way to play this game and not go in the poor house, is to reload.  Regardless of caliber.  A simple Lee Classic single stage press, and a set of dies will get you going just fine.  You can even use Lee powder scoops until you get a powder measure.  This is a most FUN game.

I am sure I will end up reloading, just probably after I get settled a bit!

Uberti Schofields also come in 3 1/2", though that may be only 45 Colt.  

If you want to shoot 45 Schofield rounds in it, those will likely be even more expensive than 45 Colt if you buy the ammo.

Uberti made the Schofield in 45 Colt only for a long time.  Back when Navy Arms was the exclusive importer, shooters were clamoring for it to come in .38 Spcl.  It took several years, and then when they were finally available in .38... a lot of them ended up sitting on shelves for a long time.  Go figure.  Available in 44-40 as well, BTW.

23 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

Yes, Uberti chambers the Schofield for 38 Special.

https://www.uberti-usa.com/top-break-revolver

Uberti makes a 38 Special Schofield in four flavors. Five inch barrel and seven inch barrel, blued or nickel plated. Yes, any revolver chambered for 38 Special vs 45 will always be heavier because the holes for the bore and chambers are smaller. I went to the Uberti website hoping they listed the different weights, but they do not.

Yes, reaching the hammer with your thumb is more of a stretch with any S&W #3 Top Break than with a Colt style revolver.

But, you definitely win on style points. Nice looking pistolas. 

Okay.  I will offend some and make others happy.  I went with 45L.  T&C Schofields.. got them in 24 hours at a good price.

I appreciate all the feedback, excited to get these out for a shot!  Thanks for all the feedback.

3C0E814F-73E2-4810-910F-13BD4AC31794.jpeg

You can give them a do it yourself action job by lightening the flat mainsprings with an hourglass shape. I bought replacements just in case I went too far. Enjoy your guns.

14 minutes ago, Go West said:

You can give them a do it yourself action job by lightening the flat mainsprings with an hourglass shape. I bought replacements just in case I went too far. Enjoy your guns.

I might give that a shot.  Going to run them both through some rounds next week and see how they do.

Archived