SASS Wire Forum

Putting stuff in mailboxes

Rye Miles #13621

We're having a mayor's race here in my town and one of the candidates is going around putting his "vote for me" literature in the mailboxes. It's not stamped, he just walks around and stuffs 'em in! Isn't this against the law? Should I call the police or the USPS office right here  and show them the thing he put in my mailbox?? I'm sure I'm not the only one that will report this.:angry:

While it is against the law, I've never understood why.

That box out at the street belongs to me. I bought it. I dug the hole for the post. I put the box on top of the post.

The Post Office did not do a damn thing. They didn't buy the box. They didn't reimburse me for buying the box. But they have the unmitigated gall to say that no one but them can put anything in MY box.

I found this..............
1.2 Exclusions
Door slots and nonlockable bins or troughs used with apartment house mailboxes
are not letterboxes within the meaning of 18 USC 1725 and are not private mail
receptacles for the standards for mailable matter not bearing postage found in or
on private mail receptacles. The post or other support is not part of the receptacle.
(I have a slot on the house and the mail drops inside.)

Our city-sponsored neighborhood association received a "cease and desist" from USPS just a couple of days after we started placing our newsletter in mailboxes and door slots of private residences.  Never did find out who complained, could have been the carrier herself, I suppose.  Call it in!

Count

By law you are not to put anything on electric poles....

But look how many are covered with signs to find a missing dog, graduation party with an arrow, garage sales, e t c........

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

That box out at the street belongs to me. I bought it. I dug the hole for the post. I put the box on top of the post.

The Post Office did not do a damn thing. They didn't buy the box. They didn't reimburse me for buying the box. But they have the unmitigated gall to say that no one but them can put anything in MY box.

Kinda like a HOA, isn't it?

If anyone and everyone who wanted to stick their mitts in your mailbox were allowed to do so, you'd be pissed.  I want my mailbox to be official mail only.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  Without that federal law there is no way to enforce anybody from putting things in, or taking things out, of your mailbox.

I have no problem with somebody putting some flyer through the mail slot. Happens rarely enough; but angry folks always find something to get angry about.....

If somebody is going to drop something by your house-- a key, an invite, a wallet of yours they found, whatever....what do you tell them? "Drop it through the mail slot if I'm not home."

What, you want it on the stoop in the rain?

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

Well, Alpo, you could always take down YOUR box, then call the Post Office and tell them to hold your mail until they install you a new box.

13 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Well, Alpo, you could always take down YOUR box, then call the Post Office and tell them to hold your mail until they install you a new box.

I use a Jayco Armadillo mailbox. I bought mine from the guy when he was still building them in his garage, one at a time. People have tried breaking in but failed and mailbox baseball ended up with shattered bats. Google it, you’ll see what I’m talking about. The mail carrier never knows if someone else has put something in the box.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

It's not your box.  IF you want your mail delivered at your cost you must provide USPS a box designed and installed to thier specs.

1 hour ago, Fence Cutter said:

By law you are not to put anything on electric poles....

But look how many are covered with signs to find a missing dog, graduation party with an arrow, garage sales, e t c........

We had a metal light pole in front of our Sacramento house. I saw a couple taping a sign to it. I went out and told them if they continued, I would turn them in to the police. While I said that, I wrote their auto license number down.

They left the neighborhood.

Of course, if they'd looked like gang members, I wouldn't have confronted them.  You do what you can, when you can to protect your rights.

BTW, our mail was delivered through a slot in the door.

Around here the favorite thing to do is to drive around on our country roads and bash mail boxes with a baseball bat while hanging out of the window of a moving car. All our rural mail is delivered to your mailbox along the county road. I finally built a stone monument and put my mailbox inside it. Only way to destroy it now is with dynamite or bash it with a vehicle.

Armadillo mail box. Baseball bat proof.

8905A6CF-8222-463C-A6AA-63C83B97D249.jpeg

0D60D327-4FDB-45F4-81E0-8C41621A3A9A.jpeg

I decided to do nothing, the guy running is a joke and will never make it anyway!!! The current mayor will win re-election in a landslide! She's okay!;)

20 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Around here the favorite thing to do is to drive around on our country roads and bash mail boxes with a baseball bat while hanging out of the window of a moving car. All our rural mail is delivered to your mailbox along the county road.

I once knew someone who lost several mailboxes to vandals like that. One day he decided he'd had enough and filled one with concrete then mounted it. A few days later he found a broken baseball bat lying on the ground next to it. That must've really stung the poor bloke's wrists! ^_^

On 10/22/2019 at 6:45 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

We had a metal light pole in front of our Sacramento house. I saw a couple taping a sign to it. I went out and told them if they continued, I would turn them in to the police. While I said that, I wrote their auto license number down.

They left the neighborhood.

Of course, if they'd looked like gang members, I wouldn't have confronted them.  You do what you can, when you can to protect your rights.

BTW, our mail was delivered through a slot in the door.

I wonder if they were looking for their lost cat.

Archived