SASS Wire Forum

Patterned the New Stoeger Coach gun

bgavin

I took the new Stoeger Coach Supreme to the range this morning for our regular Monday trap day.

We did an informal pattern test at 30 feet with 12-gauge AAs.
Chokes are whatever type Stoeger includes as factory-standard with this model.
Both barrels consistently shoot High and Left, by 12 to 16 inches in both directions.

The new Remington V3 pattern is tight and dead on-the-sights at the same distance with full choke.
The Supreme recoil pad is surprisingly good..  and it's a gas to shoot it.

The front-to-rear trigger is Right-to-Left barrels, which is sorta against my lifetime training for Left-Right, Top-Bottom, Front-Back.

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

Both barrels consistently shoot High and Left, by 12 to 16 inches in both directions.

Not sure what “high and left....in both directions“ means. Do they both shoot high and left by that far off center?

I would do as OLG recommended.

If I remember the bores on the Stoeger Coachguns are Cylinder and modified cylinder bore but I can’t remember which one is which. 

Good for you, many don’t bother to check patterns or point of impact.

If you have not done so, shoot it at match speed— picking the gun up from a table, load it, and fire it quickly.  Where does it hit when you are going fast?

A tight choke may move around a bit if you are not consistent with your mounting technique.  Open chokes are more forgiving when you get sloppy with buttstock positioning.

And OLG has a good point; the ammunition makes a difference.

I was using fresh AAs because this is what I want to run as my wife gets up to speed with the SxS.
Side note:  the new V3 will not eject the AAs... they shoot fine, but I have to manually eject.
I'm shooting trap, so this is a non-problem.

I will pull the chokes and see what I have.
CA is going to pull the plug on gun parts on 1/1/2020, so I have to get all my springs and chokes before I have to submit to an anal cavity check to buy them.

I have an idea for a rubber bulb as a trigger release for a sled vice.
Squeeze the bulb, and a bulb in the trigger guard expands and moves the trigger.
Not possible on the Stoeger 2x, but still an idea for hands-free (no flinch, no impact) trigger.

This would tell me where the GUN is shooting and remove the human factor.
If this bulb-thing exists, please pass it along so I can look into it.

The buys set up a round butcher paper target some 40 feet away, with a yellow Post-It in the center.
The Stoeger is 15" to the left of center, and 15" high from center.  Both barrels.
Very well could be the noob on the other end...
But the V3 is dead-on, using the same noob.

We shoot 75 rounds of trap (each) every Monday now, until the weather goes bad.

Archived