SASS Wire Forum

Which Marlin would be in .45 Colt?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Hi all.

I don't know anything about Marlins, so I have no idea which model would be likely to be available in .45 Colt.   

As mentioned before, I am slowly obtaining the parts needed to create my own "Big Iron" that inspired the Marty Robbins song of the same name.  That pistol featured a barrel made from a Marlin rifle that had been cut to 9-1/2 Inches.     I figure the original started life in another caliber and was relined or something, but that getting one with the proper bore size would simplify things for me.

Can’t you find a .45 caliber gun barrel on gunbroker or a similar site?

Cat Brules

I'd just buy the barrel blank.  Lots of good companies making barrels. Ant decent machine shop can cut it to length and match the threads you need

H. K. Uriah,

Maybe one of the parts suppliers such as VTI, Jack First, Poppert’s Gun Parts, etc., can supply you with an octagonal barrel of the correct caliber....maybe even one off a Marlin rifle. 

Cat Brules

50 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I'd just buy the barrel blank.  Lots of good companies making barrels. Ant decent machine shop can cut it to length and match the threads you need

27 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

H. K. Uriah,

Maybe one of the parts suppliers such as VTI, Jack First, Poppert’s Gun Parts, etc., can supply you with an octagonal barrel of the correct caliber....maybe even one off a Marlin rifle. 

Cat Brules

Either of these suggestions should solve your issue.

..........Widder

Thanks everybody.   After doing some looking I did find a Armi San Marco barrel in .45 Colt for their 92 clone.   It's long enough that it can be shortened to length I need with plenty to spare in case the gunsmith wants to do a practice cut.    Your suggestions put me in the right direction.

I have read many dissertations about the "Big Iron" gun that Marty Robbins saw in a North Hollywood gun shop and wrote the song around. Supposedly it was a Colt 1873 with a 9.5" Marlin .45 barrel.

I have also read where someone posited that the pistol was fitted with an original Colt 1860 Army grip with a steel blued steel backstrap and trigger guard. Make no mistake: Colt never made a blued steel trigger guard for the 1860 Army: all were brass. The sole reason for the steel backstrap was because a brass backstrap would have worn prematurely at the bottom "divot" using the Type 3 shoulder stock, which was Colt's answer to the carbines in use by Army cavalry at the time.

If I was going to make a Big Iron revolver (the Marty Robbins album only shows it in the holster with his hand on the grip), I would start with the largest revolver of that era, an 1847 Walker. It is a .44 but is actually a true .45 caliber with a bore diameter of .451-.454.

Uberti makes one (available from Taylor's and other sources) and they all have the 9.5" barrel.

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/blackpowder-revolvers/1847-walker/1847-walker.html

One can also buy a conversion cylinder from Taylor's (and others) chambered for .45 Colt, no modifications to the recoil shield needed:

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-conversions/walker-conversion-cylinders/conversion-cylinder-for-walker-revolvers-45lc.html

I do not like the Walker load lever arrangement as the lever is prone to drop after every shot. That is why Colt changed it to the latch type found on the Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon model, which used frames and other parts from leftover Walker production from the Whitneyville contract factory.

With the conversion cylinder, the load lever arrangement can be discarded insofar as operation except that it is very handy to remove the barrel and cylinder in order to reload the cylinder with .45 cartridges.

This is my "Big Iron" (Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon .44 with a 7.5" barrel and shorter cylinder than the Walker) at 4 lbs. 2 oz. compared to the 1860 Army and the 1851 Navy:

Uberti-Whitneyville-003.jpg

Regards,

Jim

Archived