SASS Wire Forum

BP/SUBS Cleaning Consensus

Tequila Shooter

I'm not only new to SASS but new to BP/Sub cleaning.  I've heard everything from Windex to soapy water and more.  Just this weekend I found out that I could use soapy water instead of vinegar and water to put my spent brass in since I use a sub.  

So from all you knowledgeable pards can we get a consensus on what works best?  Please say what your method works on (BP, Subs or Both).  If you think you've got the best method post it, if you agree with someones post "+1" it.  When the post runs it's course I'll compile the top few listed methods then maybe one of the Mods can make it a sticky for others to benefit. 

I very seriously doubt a consensus can be acquired and please:  NO MORE PINNED POSTS

There is no "best" way, pick something and be consistent, just make sure you get them cleaned. The exception to that is if you use Pyrodex, then clean your guns before you leave the range; your guns will start rusting as soon as a shot is fired downrange.

My current favorite is:

1. Light coat of Ballistol before leaving the range.
  2. Once home(within a week), Clean with Windex w/ vinegar.
  3. Rinse off with hot water.
  4. Blow everything dry with an air compressor,
  5. Light coat of Ballistol.

For brass, I throw in warm soapy water when I get home and then wet tumble when I get around to it.

Like I mentioned earlier just pick something as  Murphy's mix works, soap and water works, Windex w/ vinegar works, etc...

Really, we have plenty of pinned posts; the only thing I can think of that needs pinning now is the category matrix that Ripsaw made and that doesn't need pinning just added to the handbook.

My dos centavos.

Good points by Tyrel.  I am also a fan of Windex with Vinegar (or generic version) and Ballistol.  A new discovery I have tried is a couple of carbon eliminators offered by Cowboy Shooter's Supply( Italian and KG-1).  I, too, agree on soapy water, hot when available, for brass.  Little wind-shield washer fluid & water  in container is good until home to rinse.

I've shot black powder for years not only just for CAS. I recently asked about running bp in a winchester 92 and got a good bit of helpful info not just on that model but in general. here's the link to that post here on the wire. Everyone has their favorite method but Nate Kiowa Jones had a few tweeks to what I basically do. 

45 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Really, we have plenty of pinned posts; the only thing I can think of that needs pinning now is the category matrix that Ripsaw made and that doesn't need pinning just added to the handbook.

I have it saved to my computer for quick reference. It is very helpful especially for new shooters trying to figure out the categories! 

My wife and I just shot the NM State match with APP, Triple Seven and MZ (no Pyrodex!). 

Brass Cleaning: four rinses using hot tap water.  Dry in sun.

Firearms: wiped down with a mixture of rubbing alcohol, oil soap and tap water (no vinegar).  Lubed with Ballistol when dry.

Using real black or APP.

Decap and rinse brass in warm water, then soak in warm water with dish detergent overnight.  Then air dried and sorted for tumbling.  Usually do this within a day or two, maybe three or four after the match.

For cleaning rifles, and pistols, I run a bore snake through it all when using real black, I find no need for a bore snake when using AAP.  Swab bore, and frames with patches of Simple Green.  Dry them, then wipe down with a patch of Qmaxx. 

Shotgun:  Just wiped down chambers/frame same way as the others, but barrels get blown out with smokeless rounds at next monthly match.

I usually try to clean within a week.  Longest was 5 months!! With no harm done.

I only use APP or real Black.  I found that hot water down the barrel and in the chambers works real well.  No fuss at all.  I dry them with in a parts dryer and then run a patch with Breakfree CLP through them.  I like it better than Ballistol as we're going through a cold spell.  I make sure the nipples are clear by popping off some caps before I load 'em.  

I prefer slick plastic hulls and plastic wad columns for my shotshells.  Hot water down the barrels after a match, and the snot gets gone.  Ballistol for the bores is fine.  

I have several pounds of Pyrodex in the workshop.  I'm torn between spreading it on a bald area of the property just before a rain, or loading up in the shotgun just to get rid of it... If I shoot it, I'll need to neutralize it with a vinegar solution before leaving the range.  Hodgdon says the fouling contains corrosive salts.  No need to have that stuff eating your guns from the insides out.

Hot water, liquid laundry soap and Ballistol.

When I get home the brass goes in the wet tumbler with a little liquid laundry soap, LemiShine, and hot water.

Moose milk in the actions and down the barrels of all 4 guns.  Plug the shotgun barrel(s) and fill with hot water. Let soak while I clean everything else.

Start with pistols, then rifle. Flush barrels and actions with hot water. Then Remington squee-G to remove remaining fowling. from barrels followed by boresnake soaked with ballistol, Couple squirts of ballistol in the actions, cycle to spread around then wipe off any excess. Do shotgun last Remington squee-G followed by boresnake.

I can clean all 4 guns in 30 minutes or less. Even cap guns. I use tooth brush to scrub nipple area of cylinder and other nooks and cranies. Use canned air to blow out nipples once everything is clean.

OK.  I'm in.  At the range .... NOTHING.  Just dump the cases in my cartridge bag and carry 'em home.  No matter, 1 day local, or three day with travel.  At the range nothing.  When I get home I run my small shop sink with hot water and dump in a goodly amount of White Vinegar.  Let the cases sit for about half an hour and rinse.  Stick em onna cookie sheet (with raised sides) and stick em inna small oven at 180 for an hour too dry.  Run them in my dry vibrator for an hour.  Done.

Cap guns I clean with Hot Water and a couple of drops of Dawn.  Rinse, Dry, Oil, Done.

Shotgun and Rifle I squirt some PAM (Hydrogen Peroxide, Alcohol and Murphys Oil Soap) down the bore, run a wet PAM Patch through the bore (or two), Dry patch, Oily Patch, Done.

I have also found the Windshield Cleaner sold by my local Windshield repair place to be excellent for Shotgun and Rifle bore.  Dries really fast.  Dry patch anyway, then Oily patch Done.

Other than PAM, I have found some of the other concoctions to be wanting.  They work, after a fashion, but for the most part, HOT WATER will clean up after BP and Subs as good as anything.  Less Mess too.  No ugly smell either.

You won't get a consensus.  We could go to three or four pages arguing for our favorites with no problem.  Only CAVEAT:  DO NOT use petroleum based lubricants.  Best lubricants I've found are Mobil 1 motor oil and Mobil 1 Grease.  Non Petroleum.  Quart of Oil will last a couple three years and a tube of Grease will last till you're not shooting anymore. 

Archived