SASS Wire Forum

RIP ants....

Well... this was titled "RIP ants."    Reckon it might work for gophers, moles, and earthworms, too.  :rolleyes: 

Dope !

Screenshot_20171224-160645.thumb.png.ac63bb5e62f65de4e5d900632e7ac96e.png

Wow! That was cool! :D

That he did it...not me...

Actually, my friends and I did that to a yellow jackets nest at my friend’s house in the country when we were teens. The result was very similar. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Sure beats having to hand dig the garden.....

i assume somebody filled a burrow with propane.

LL

Gasoline, probably. 

The Rodentator is awesome. Not recommended for back yards though.  :lol:

I was going to Florida for a job interview and a little R&R.  Just as I crossed the state line into Fla. the vehicle I was driving quit running.  It was late at night and dark, but I had tools and light, so i decided to go ahead and check it out.  No spark!!  Pulled the distributor cap and discovered a broken ignition rotor.  I went around to the back of the vehicle to see if there was one in the tool box and was swarmed by fire ants!!  I swiped most of them off, but I was bitten multiple times.  I crawled through the passenger compartment, (I was driving a full sized Blazer) and found that I didn't have a replacement.

This was before cell phones were popular and we didn't have one, so I walked back to the weigh station, borrowed their phone and called a wrecker service to get them to bring me the parts I needed to fix my ride.  I walked back to the vehicle, avoiding the back of it so as not to get into the fire ants again.  It was two in the morning, so we took a nap and waited.

The tow truck arrived just after sun-up and I paid him for the parts and a service call. I assembled my ignition and pulled the truck forward about fifty feet.  I then returned to the rear of the vehicle to stow my tools and lo and behold, there was a five gallon jug of 130 octane racing fuel standing beside the tool box.  We used the Blazer for a chase vehicle at the drag strip and always carried spare fuel, a few tools, some rags, and some hand cleaner in our chase trucks. 

I was STILL stinging from them damned ants and a plan for revenge hit me just as I reached to close the tailgate. I grabbed the jug of gas and walked back and found where those ants had come up outta' the ground.  I carefully poured the entire contents of the jug down that hole.  As I walked back to the truck, another diabolical idea formed in my head.  I put the jug in the truck, closed the tailgate, went to the driver's seat, and grabbed a book of matches.  I walked back to the spot where I'd poured the fuel into the ant hole.  I took the match book and folded the cover in behind the matches, I pulled one match off and struck it, lit the entire matchbook and flipped it onto the still wet gas spot.

KAWHOOM!!  The gasoline ignited and fire shot out of the ground in half a dozen spots from a dozen to thirty feet away!!  I don't know, it might have been fifty feet!! It was loud enough to wake Schoolmarm up if she wasn't already and and it was satisfying enough to me that I don't much recall them ant bites botherin' me the rest of the trip!!  The gas by itself would have done serious damage to the ant population in that hole, but the matches took care of a whole lot more of the sorry little devils!!

EDIT!!  That was in the early 1990s and that jug of gas was about $35.00 (5 gallons)!!  Worth every penny!!!

11 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I went around to the back of the vehicle to see if there was one in the tool box and was swarmed by fire ants!!

I hate fire ants with a vengeance! 

I had them all around my place in NC. I called Terminex (I'll never do that again) and they would come out and treat the nest and another one seemed to spring up a few days latter. I was convinced Terminex used  some chemical that put the ants to sleep and made them forget where their home was when they woke up so they would build another somewhere nearby.

After I canceled my Terminex contract I used Coleman fuel (white gas) and I just poured it in the hole of their nests. I never lit it though. I had a slab foundation.. I didn't want to crack the slab. It sure killed the fire ants.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I was going to Florida for a job interview and a little R&R.  Just as I crossed the state line into Fla. the vehicle I was driving quit running.  It was late at night and dark, but I had tools and light, so i decided to go ahead and check it out.  No spark!!  Pulled the distributor cap and discovered a broken ignition rotor.  I went around to the back of the vehicle to see if there was one in the tool box and was swarmed by fire ants!!  I swiped most of them off, but I was bitten multiple times.  I crawled through the passenger compartment, (I was driving a full sized Blazer) and found that I didn't have a replacement.

This was before cell phones were popular and we didn't have one, so I walked back to the weigh station, borrowed their phone and called a wrecker service to get them to bring me the parts I needed to fix my ride.  I walked back to the vehicle, avoiding the back of it so as not to get into the fire ants again.  It was two in the morning, so we took a nap and waited.

The tow truck arrived just after sun-up and I paid him for the parts and a service call. I assembled my ignition and pulled the truck forward about fifty feet.  I then returned to the rear of the vehicle to stow my tools and lo and behold, there was a five gallon jug of 130 octane racing fuel standing beside the tool box.  We used the Blazer for a chase vehicle at the drag strip and always carried spare fuel, a few tools, some rags, and some hand cleaner in our chase trucks. 

I was STILL stinging from them damned ants and a plan for revenge hit me just as I reached to close the tailgate. I grabbed the jug of gas and walked back and found where those ants had come up outta' the ground.  I carefully poured the entire contents of the jug down that hole.  As I walked back to the truck, another diabolical idea formed in my head.  I put the jug in the truck, closed the tailgate, went to the driver's seat, and grabbed a book of matches.  I walked back to the spot where I'd poured the fuel into the ant hole.  I took the match book and folded the cover in behind the matches, I pulled one match off and struck it, lit the entire matchbook and flipped it onto the still wet gas spot.

KAWHOOM!!  The gasoline ignited and fire shot out of the ground in half a dozen spots from a dozen to thirty feet away!!  I don't know, it might have been fifty feet!! It was loud enough to wake Schoolmarm up if she wasn't already and and it was satisfying enough to me that I don't much recall them ant bites botherin' me the rest of the trip!!  The gas by itself would have done serious damage to the ant population in that hole, but the matches took care of a whole lot more of the sorry little devils!!

EDIT!!  That was in the early 1990s and that jug of gas was about $35.00 (5 gallons)!!  Worth every penny!!!

I tripped and fell on a fire ant nest in Florida when I was 8. Had many nasty encounters with them for the next 50 years. :angry:

Archived