SASS Wire Forum

Brass shotshell problem

Make do

As you know at times the shot shells get stepped on and the mouths bent. When I get them back to round it creates a bit of a flair, so they no longer fit the gun easily. I have run them through normal shot shell sizers but they don't seem to touch the mouth and bring it back to fitting  - any suggestion as to a fix? thanks

CH-4D makes a 12 ga resizing die that completely resizes. Ain't cheap, but will do the job.

Ch4d.com

They also make a die that will put a nice little roll type crimp on the mouth too. Makes 'em real easy to chamber!

ive always wanted to shoot brass shot shells never wanted to get that deep into reloading issues and the paper/plastic are so easy and plentiful , i hope you get it all sorted out and hope you will share it with us , one day i may have more time and i might want to follow this path 

Here's another endorsement for the CH-4D dies.   When I started reloading all brass, I got the RCBS ones.   They worked just fine until I fired the shells in my vintage 87.  Suddenly they would not chamber in anything but the 87.  Not my 97s, not my Parker, not my 870, nothing.   So, I got the CH-4D.  They once again fit in everything.

16 hours ago, Make do said:

As you know at times the shot shells get stepped on and the mouths bent. When I get them back to round it creates a bit of a flair, so they no longer fit the gun easily. I have run them through normal shot shell sizers but they don't seem to touch the mouth and bring it back to fitting  - any suggestion as to a fix? thanks

I was wondering why you where having those problems at Dayton.

Use a Mandrel and a plastic hammer. Insert mandrel in brass case, with plastic hammer , carefully tap out the area in question. I have restored many of my distorted brass SG cases using this method. Then resize them.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE to Lefty Dude.  If they are really badly miss-shape, I just toss 'em inna scrap barrel.  Not worth the problems trying to rehab them.  

Yeah. More trouble than it’s worth usually. Make wind chimes or ceiling fan chain pulls outta em. ;)

The thing with brass shells is, besides being occasionally stomped, if you use them in different guns they will probably have to be re-sized due to the differences in chambers and the expansion of the brass. I only use one shotgun for brass hulls.

4 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Tried the RCBS Cowboy 12G dies, and they missed the mark on that one. My CH4D dies should be here the end of the week. 

You MUST lube the shells before you resize them. If you don't they WILL stick in the dies and are a bear to remove!

On 10/20/2019 at 7:36 PM, Make do said:

Use a 1/2" to 3/4 threaded plumbing adapter. Put adapter in press die hole from the bottom. Set shell on top of ram and press it into the adapter. Puts a nice roll on the case mouth.  Got the Idea and pic from a forum member years ago. Works good. 

DSC01037.JPG

When installing the roll on brass cases, put a slight roll. If you go to far you will not be able to get the wads and cards installed. If the roll is excessive, use a mandrel from the inside case rim and adjust as necessary.

I have been there and done it all.

I run ALL BRASS 12Ga in 5 different Hammer Doubles.  I have never had to resize any of my hulls.  Run the same in all five guns.

I do NOT recommend a roll crimp at the mouth.  Makes em hard to reload and is of no real benefit unless you're trying to run them in a '97.  I must admit though, running Hammer Doubles and Brass hulls is NOT the Yellow Brick Road to .... speed.  Speed is not a issue.  Looking Good whilst playing the game is the issue :)

5 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Looking Good whilst playing the game is the issue :)

There ya go! :lol:

17 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I run ALL BRASS 12Ga in 5 different Hammer Doubles.  I have never had to resize any of my hulls.  Run the same in all five guns.

I do NOT recommend a roll crimp at the mouth.  Makes em hard to reload and is of no real benefit unless you're trying to run them in a '97.  I must admit though, running Hammer Doubles and Brass hulls is NOT the Yellow Brick Road to .... speed.  Speed is not a issue.  Looking Good whilst playing the game is the issue :)

Do you load with smokeless by chance?

Major Art Tillery  ^_^

Nope.  I do not load my All Brass hulls with Smokeless.  Onlyist things I shoot are BP or APP.  I particularly like APP.  I will share though .... When reloading my hulls I have actually "felt" a very slight "drag" as a couple of cases went through the RCBS die.  This has only happened maybe twice in a ton of loading my hulls.  :)

33 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Major Art Tillery  ^_^

Nope.  I do not load my All Brass hulls with Smokeless.  Onlyist things I shoot are BP or APP.  I particularly like APP.  I will share though .... When reloading my hulls I have actually "felt" a very slight "drag" as a couple of cases went through the RCBS die.  This has only happened maybe twice in a ton of loading my hulls.  :)

Ok thanks.  I load with goex... But was curious about loading with smokeless, I know some have done it.  The brass shells are just awesome!..:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ordered the 20 gauge die from cH4d and it came today - Man the shells that had been sticking in the gun were very difficult to run through the die- smeared them profusely with Unique lube and it was impossible to get the shell all the way in, in one pass. Switched to a different lube and it was a bit better but still difficult. But they now drop in with ease. I will have to shoot them to see it they shuck any better 

THe Unique lube does OK, but I started mixing up my own that was slicker and cheaper, a quart of highest percentage  Isopropol alcohol to a 4 ounce bottle of lanolin.  hand full of shells in a gallon sip lock bag, couple sprays of the lube mix in the bag roll them around, and take them out to let the alcohol evaporate off.

Might try Imperial Sizing Die Wax, also good for case forming.  

I reloaded my Brass 16 ga. shells with Smokeyless. The shells were converted to use regular SG primers. Shells also had Teflon base wads. They were made by Hammer Double, sorry no longer made. Unique was my powder of choice. 

I also have some 16 ga Rocky Mt. Cartridge Brass shells, I use for hunting. Kinda pricey tho, mine cost $5.00 ea.

16 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Why do some people seem to think that you can't run smokeless in all brass shells?  I've been doing it for years.

Because the thought of shooting smokeless powder in ANYTHING is just so, well, revolting!:lol::P:D

Archived