SASS Wire Forum

Forensics question

Alpo

While it certainly seems possible to get fingerprints off cartridge cases left at the crime scene, would it be possible to get fingerprints off a fired bullet?

Only person I knew who could do that was Abby. 

36 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Depends, Alpo....

Are we talking NCIS or Law & Order????

NCIS has better ballistics people....:P

LL

Actually, Dick Francis. Ten Pound Penalty.

Assassin pegs a shot at a candidate for parliament. Little old lady finds the bullet in her shop. It missed him, went through her front window, busted a glass and stuck in a book. She was carrying it around in her pocket wrapped up in a Kleenex. She would show it to people, and then buff it off on her sweater, put the kleenex back around it, and put it back in her pocket.

When the candidate saw this he thought that that would ruin any chance of getting fingerprints off the bullet.

22 long rifle.

And I thought, HMMMMMMM. :P

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I can’t imagine a bullet hitting/penetrating an object and not having any fingerprints altered beyond recognition. 

Pretty much my thinking.

Hitting/penetrating an object?  Air friction?

Heck ~ just the fire-propelled trip down the barrel through the rifling would wipe out any fingerprints - not to mention california-inspired micro-enraving!*  :lol:

*Yes, they did once consider requiring boolits to be micro-engraved or stamped by the manufacturer, supposedly to allow tracing to the purchaser.  silly.gif

On 10/20/2019 at 12:37 PM, Alpo said:

Actually, Dick Francis. Ten Pound Penalty.

Assassin pegs a shot at a candidate for parliament. Little old lady finds the bullet in her shop. It missed him, went through her front window, busted a glass and stuck in a book. She was carrying it around in her pocket wrapped up in a Kleenex. She would show it to people, and then buff it off on her sweater, put the kleenex back around it, and put it back in her pocket.

When the candidate saw this he thought that that would ruin any chance of getting fingerprints off the bullet.

22 long rifle.

And I thought, HMMMMMMM. :P

However, you may be able to retrieve the DNA of the sheep that donated the wool.

Nope . No prints, but they can get DNA. But that’s by using a special adapter on a mass spectrometer that picks up minute droplets from the breath of the shooter. The heat and friction sear the droplets into the copper casing and by using this adapter the copper can be heated to the flash temperatures of the barrel releasing the residue of the droplets. A micro flash of distilled water is puffed into the mass spec chamber and the perp’s breath droplets residue is absorbed into the moisture and the mass spec can then pull the DNA from that mist and match it to the shooter, or at the very least to the last person that touched the bullet. 

Archived