SASS Wire Forum

Lazy man's shotgun cleaner

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

Anybody ever see these before?

Directions say load one, pull trigger,  shotgun clean. Seems like another solution in search of a problem. 

Website link:  https://huntegoltd.com/products/cleanshot-12-gauge

Video shows a guy shooting two rounds from each barrel of an over/under, shows bores with some residue, then one of these each and bores are shining like the sun. He then puts gun in case, all done. I think there's a little more to gun cleaning than just the bore(s).

20191019_123315.jpg

I tried those after shooting a plainsman match. Yes it cleaned the bore. About as well as a bore snake with a shot of Balistol 

I seen these for the first time a couple weeks ago and took a couple pictures to post on here and forgot about them until I seen Wyatt beat me to the draw.

Here is the back of the box........20190915_110410.thumb.jpg.abcb77622ec157d460b6cf43dc08449d.jpg

What is this "Field Clean" of which they speak???  I've always thought you either completely cleaned your shotgun ..... or you didn't.  Never cleaned a shotgun in the field.  Even when I was still hunting.  Took it home and "cleaned" it.  I shoot BP and Subs.  I kinda doubt that thingie is going to scrub out my shotgun after six stages of FUN.  Besides, once home, it only takes a couple of squirts of PAM and a piece of Paper Towel.  Sorry, but you also have to scrub out the propellant residue.  Same same squirt of PAM and the Paper Towel does it all.  I can buy a lot of Paper Towel for 11 Bucks.

I strongly doubt we are the target market for those shotgun cleaning shells.

I can see it as a useful for a hunter or other shooter with expensive a shotgun who will not have the time or place to properly clean a shotgun, especially in damp conditions or near saltwater, when the risk of rust is higher then normal.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

I strongly doubt we are the target market for those shotgun cleaning shells.

I can see it as a useful for a hunter or other shooter with expensive a shotgun who will not have the time or place to properly clean a shotgun, especially in damp conditions or near saltwater, when the risk of rust is higher then normal.

Yes, the once or twice a season "sportsman" who shoots a dozen or so rounds and puts the gun away until next season.

I did a product test for them (Huntego)about 8 months ago. They work ok on the barrel for smokeless powder but didn’t do anything to a gun shot with BP or BP subs. I ran 4 Cleanshot cartridges through the gun after 25 BP sub  12 ga. rounds were shot and you could not see any change at all. They are not intended to clean the chambers in any manner. They also have a very healthy recoil.  For a smokeless powder shooter they might be convenient to Clean the barrels after a match but that is a stiff price to pay for convenience. ($9.50 - $10.75 for a box of 4 ctgs)

$2.37 a round?  No thanks

* Smokeless powder cleaning: hot water + a squirt of Dawn .... oil & done

* An old trick cleaning black powder bores: shoot a couple of smokeless powder shells down the bore.  Removes the BP foul then: hot water + a squirt of Dawn .... oil & done

Is anyone besides me using the stainless steel Tornado Brush on SG chambers?  My question is, Do they damage the chamber?  I've been using them about a year.  They do a great job of removing crud from chamber walls if you follow up with a large dry cloth patch on a proper Guage brass jag.  But I have to say I cringe a bit to stick that SS tool into the chambers.  But after a year, I really can see no scoring, scratching, or other damage.   Anybody have any other experience to add? 

9 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Is anyone besides me using the stainless steel Tornado Brush on SG chambers?  

> snip <

I use a stainless 12ga Tornado brush .. I think they are great ... kind of springy when you squeeze them and seem to do a really good job (especially when you have neglected cleaning for a long time). I haven't noticed any marking or scoring at all. 

I see they are available in brass and bronze now too.

Archived