SASS Wire Forum

Carriers

Subdeacon Joe

Yet another FB find.

Five Essex class aircraft carriers modified to fit three different roles at the Long Beach Navy Yard in 1966.

The carrier at the center is USS Valley Forge (LPH-8), easily recognized due to her unique deck markings and the fact that she is still in an axial deck configuration. Originally a standard aircraft carrier with the designation CV-45, she was modified into a helicopter assault ship and given the designation LPH (Landing Platform, Helicopter).

The second carrier from the bottom is USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31). She is distinguished due to her angled flight deck and her bridle catchers. At this time she was serving as an attack carrier and carried a large assortment of aircraft.

The other three ships are USS Bennington (CVS-20), USS Yorktown (CVS-10), and USS Hornet (CVS-12). All of these ships have angled flight decks but no bridle catchers. These carriers had been converted into Anti-submarine warfare (ASW) carriers. They carried several helicopters, tracking aircraft, and a small compliment of jet aircraft.

Image may contain: outdoor

I'll accept that she's number 31, and that she's the Bon Homme Richard. Even though I can't see a number on her, I'm willing to believe that's what she is.

But I sure don't see an angled flight deck.

Numbers 10 and 20 - the ones on each side - they've got angled flight decks. decks. But I don't see one on that one in the middle.

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'll accept that she's number 31, and that she's the Bon Homme Richard. Even though I can't see a number on her, I'm willing to believe that's what she is.

But I sure don't see an angled flight deck.

Numbers 10 and 20 - the ones on each side - they've got angled flight decks. decks. But I don't see one on that one in the middle.

As near as I can do quickly in Paint.  Red line is longitudinal, green line shows the angle.   Keep in mind that the angled flight deck was a refit (SCB-125) to the Essex class carriers, so the angle isn't as marked as in later class carriers.

image.jpeg.495a5dc4c45693d95aeb46cc88dbfef9.jpeg

h97343t.jpg

!carriers 2.jpg

My daughter was a first-lieutenant on the Bonham...
When they were in San Francisco for a few days, she took us on board for a tour.

Very impressive ship.
I asked her what they do... "Dad, we carry bad-ass boys and their bad-ass toys."
She squats down in the water, opens her aft end and hovercraft bring the big toys onboard.
They are chained down with huge chains and made secure.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

My daughter was a first-lieutenant on the Bonham...
When they were in San Francisco for a few days, she took us on board for a tour.

Very impressive ship.
I asked her what they do... "Dad, we carry bad-ass boys and their bad-ass toys."
She squats down in the water, opens her aft end and hovercraft bring the big toys onboard.
They are chained down with huge chains and made secure.

There have been several Bonnie Dicks. USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6), an amphibious assault ship was commissioned in 1998. The one in the OP photo (CV-31) was decommissioned in 1971.

Perhaps this is the one you toured? Pretty cool.

170331-N-WF272-117.jpg

Hers was the new one, 1998.
I got to meet one of the machinists... told him I heard the rumor they could almost build an entire car in their facilities.
He said, "everything except the glass", with a great deal of pride.

Archived