SASS Wire Forum

missing lube

Outrider Outlaw

Recently got some lead bullets from a new (to me) vendor.  They are 125gr TCFP.  Some of them are missing a bit of wax lube and a few are missing the lube altogether.  Is it safe to use these or should I give them a toss?  I'll be using them in my rifle and my revolvers.

Plus One to Lump Lump pertaining to calling the vendor.  COMPLAIN.  If the vendor doesn't make it right, find new vendor.

I haven't/don't/won't use lipstick bullets so I can't adequately provide any guidance.

Really?  It's ok for vendors to supply inferior products, and expect for that to be acceptable?  What if I was also going to use them in other than SASS competitions?  Where high-velocity is desired?   Without feed back from customers, how does a vendor improve their product... or know that they're inferior?  Let's see... order a pair of pants that doesn't have seams sewn correctly?  You just gonna fix 'em, or wear 'em as is?

No, in my business, I'm held accountable for my actions, or inaction as it may be.  I hold other businesses to that same standard. 

If it's just a couple then you should be fine. If it is a large bunch I would mention it to the retailer. If you are really worried then just smear some beeswax or chapstick or something on there. The lube is mostly wax anyway. 

20 hours ago, Griff said:

Really?  It's ok for vendors to supply inferior products, and expect for that to be acceptable?  What if I was also going to use them in other than SASS competitions?  Where high-velocity is desired?   Without feed back from customers, how does a vendor improve their product... or know that they're inferior?  Let's see... order a pair of pants that doesn't have seams sewn correctly?  You just gonna fix 'em, or wear 'em as is?

No, in my business, I'm held accountable for my actions, or inaction as it may be.  I hold other businesses to that same standard. 

I never said it was okay to supply inferior products. I only said it's okay to shoot them if they are not fully lubed. Besides if I purchase a box of 500 cast bullets and I come across say 1% of them (5 pcs) that either had no lube, or only 1 ring with lube and the other ring without, I'm not going to raise cane about that. What really irks me more though is when I get disfigured tips like what happens when you pour before the mold is heated properly. That doesn't happen to me often though.

Interesting thread.

Hope they aren't Outlaw Bullets but if they are, I would very much prefer an email or a text before seeing it on the Wire. I'll bet that's the case for ANY Cowboy bullet vendor.

As far as the skips, is it 10, 20, 50, a whole box full? I put an extra 10 bullets in every box to cover for the occasional blunder. I expect that the other Cowboy vendors do something similar.

I like to tell new customers, "If you like my bullets, let your friends know. If you don't like my bullets, let ME know so I can fix it."

Waimea

Outlaw Bullets

Some kinds of lube can melt and run/move if excessively warmed.   Be mindful of that if you order/ship during warm seasons or are tempted to leave them in a closed up vehicle in the sun. 

Thanks to all who posted.  I have been in contact with the vendor and we are working things out.  I was more concerned with the safety of using these than with having them replaced by the vendor.  Nevertheless, he has offered to "make things right".

On 10/19/2019 at 12:38 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

One of the reasons I like Bear Creek moly coated? ;)

No lube to 'fall-off' and  the moly doesn't gunk up the dies.

OLG

Sounds like a better reason to start making and lubing your own bullets :D

Howdy

Since I don't cast my own bullets any more, I don't have a lot of options for my Black Powder Big Lube bullets.

Springfield Slim is just about the only supplier I know for Black Powder bullets.

If a little lube is missing I don't sweat it, and I'm not going to call him up and complain.

I wouldn't worry about some lube missing. I have had a vendor insist on prepayment, tell me I would have the bullets in 2 weeks and not get them for several MONTHS. Then I only got them because I insisted on a refund. The mold that he used to pour them was so mismatched they could not be sized to avoid blow by. Another vendor sent me bullets that had been poured into a  mold that was not hot enough and 60% of them were unuseable even for Cowboy shooting.

kR

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I wouldn't worry about some lube missing. I have had a vendor insist on prepayment, tell me I would have the bullets in 2 weeks and not get them for several MONTHS. Then I only got them because I insisted on a refund. The mold that he used to pour them was so mismatched they could not be sized to avoid blow by. Another vendor sent me bullets that had been poured into a  mold that was not hot enough and 60% of them were unuseable even for Cowboy shooting.

kR

There are lots of good bullet vendors out there.  Almost all of the venders in the below thread provide lubed as well as coated bullets.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, Waimea said:

I put an extra 10 bullets in every box to cover for the occasional blunder.

Waimea

Outlaw Bullets

THAT'S the reason why my primers and bullets never come out even.  Now I can quit worrying about that.

Bulk bullets in a box are almost always going to be missing a segment of lube here and there, and some my have none at all. No big deal. Elmer Keith once did some tests to determine how much lube was really necessary, and he came up with either 1/2 or 3/4 (I don't remember for sure) of the groove filled gave the same results as with the entire groove filled when shooting smokeless powder.

17 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

THAT'S the reason why my primers and bullets never come out even.  Now I can quit worrying about that.

Sometimes I put 11 or 9 in the boxes.:lol:

Archived