SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Old Comedy/Stupid Movie

Tequila Shooter

Today I was looking at a post that mentioned the movie Johnny Dangerously from 1984.  I'd forgotten that one, but I remember I used to have it on VHS.  So, what's your favorite old (before the Snowflakes took over) movie.  Stupid, funny, or any combination.  I still love Dodgeball and Blazing Saddles if for nothing else than the beans scene.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Without a doubt, Young Frankenstein, followed closely by The Great Race, then Caddyshack (mainly because of Rodney Dangerfield).

My choice, too.

"Damn your eyes!"

"Too late."

OR

"Put the candle back."

Abbot and Costello or Way Out West for old comedy.

My Name Is Nobody has some great comedy that beats Blazing Saddles for an individual scene.  Blazing Saddles is better for constant laughs, as expected from a Mel Brooks movie.  Maybe 1941 for a modern movie.  Office Space gets honorable mention because technical issues with office equipment is a universal truth. 

Is A Million Ways To Die In The West considered a millennial movie with Seth MacFarland?

Well, this movie is not really “old,” as such......1983.....37 years ago?  I guess that’s “old,” huh?

Funniest movie ever, for me.

”NATIONAL LAMPOON’S VACATION”  -  1983

Chevy Chase

lt's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Funniest Movie ever for me.

First saw this movie in a theater at Fort Bliss, Texas.  I had my foot propped on the back of the chair in front of me.  I got to laughing so hard at one scene ("I told you we shouldn't move to California") that my foot slipped off and I accidentlly kicked a little boy in the back of the head.  When he turned around, rubbing his head and looking at me, I couldn't even apologize for my additional laughter.  My stomach muscles hurt for three days from having laughed so hard.

image.thumb.png.20624ebd1b527932922bf9ddc0854f48.png

Old movies - Arsenic and Old Lace (Cary Grant, Peter Lorre) - The Thin Man (William Powell, Myrna Loy) - Duck Soup (Marx Brothers)- classics with style, funny and snappy.

Movies my kids say are old - Young Frankenstein - Airplane - stylish, funny, and quick witted. Honorable mention - Caddyshack (the best Rodney Dangerfield) and The Pink Panther with Peter Sellers.

Western - Evil Roy Slade and McClintock.

Honorable mention - not really a comedy per se but many funny scenes - The Quiet Man. 

Amended to add per Pat's post - Monty Python's Holy Grail and The Princess Bride - shouldn't have left those off. 

Monty Python’s “The Holy Grail”

Young Frankenstein 

Blues Brothers

Stripes

Airplane

Johnny Dangerously

Spaceballs

Blazing Saddles

Animal House

Pulp Fiction

The Jerk

Office Space

Dumb and Dumber

Austin Powers

Zombieland

The Princess Bride

Wayne’s World

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Uncle Buck

Talladega Nights, Legend of Ricky Bobby

Super Troopers

Robin Hood - Men in tights 

Life of Brian

my brain hurts now...

52 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Smokey and the Bandit, and Animal House.  The Blues Brothers.

+1 and Blazing Saddles for sure

1 hour ago, Raylan said:

Old movies - Arsenic and Old Lace (Cary Grant, Peter Lorre) - The Thin Man (William Powell, Myrna Loy) - Duck Soup (Marx Brothers)- classics with style, funny and snappy.

Movies my kids say are old - Young Frankenstein - Airplane - stylish, funny, and quick witted. Honorable mention - Caddyshack (the best Rodney Dangerfield) and The Pink Panther with Peter Sellers.

Western - Evil Roy Slade and McClintock.

Honorable mention - not really a comedy per se but many funny scenes - The Quiet Man. 

Amended to add per Pat's post - Monty Python's Holy Grail and The Princess Bride - shouldn't have left those off. 

I absolutely love the Thin Man series.

58 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Galaxy Quest is on our list.

Not very old but brilliant!

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

"Knowledge is good."  Animal House.  Nothing even compares.

Senator Blutarski! How true to life.

Dub and Dumber.....Owen Wilson's toilet scene, never laughed so hard in my life.

“Favorite” old movie (that I can remember now, anyway) 

“It Happened One Night” - 1934

—  Clark Gable

—  Claudette Colbert

Cat Brules

9 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Dub and Dumber.....Owen Wilson's toilet scene, never laughed so hard in my life.

Owen Wilson??

Archived