SASS Wire Forum

Bordertown WB match

Pards, had to withdraw from the Bordertown WB match because of numerous jams with my 1911,  don't want to hold up the posse.  Are any of you 1911 gunsmiths coming to the match that have an extractor and possibly a slide lock that will fit my Kimber match grade pistol?  If so would you consider bringing them and maybe I could get the 1911 working again.   Are these parts universal, or will I have to get them from Kimber?  Right now I am in limbo,   ha  ha  :D  I'll be there all week and then some!

Thanks

Regards

Contact Boggus Deal.  He can fix you up.  NM State CAS match is going on this weekend so you might need to contact someone you know and have them get in touch with him. He has parts and does pretty good 1911 work. 

Happy Jack, thanks for the reply and the information, I will try and do as you suggest.

Thanks

Blaze

Are these parts universal, or will I have to get them from Kimber? 

Which model exactly do you have?

Those two parts are usually universal parts, unless you have a special "control surface" on the slide release that you want to keep exactly stock, or you have an extended slide release.  You would have to look that part over and compare to other Kimber or Springfield or Colt guns. 

The extractor will have a strong chance that it needs to be fitted (tension adjusted).   There's maybe a 50% chance a generic replacement will drop in and be tensioned close enough, but I've not had that happen on last three straight I installed. 

Are you having spent cartridges left in the chamber or slide, or cartridges that get stuck under extractor hook so badly that the ejector can't kick them out?  

Those symptoms could point right to extractor tension or hook shape.  Other types of jams - not so much.   Slide release is not often involved in causing jams, in my experience.

I'd be willing to let you shoot a backup pistol of mine there, but it would be a Traditional Colt.   Either pull out your backup, or maybe a pard has one you can borrow that is closer to your main gun?

And the sad news - Last "who's coming" lists for BT (Cowboy or WB) did not have Boggus signed up for BT, so I doubt he's coming down.

Finally, while you are thinking this over, GAUGE CHECK your ammo one more time.   Maybe something changed in your loading setup or components.   That's the most common cause of jams.  Then examine magazine lips, too.  

Good luck, GJ

Thank you Joe for the info.  I will answer each paragraph as best I can.

It is a Kimber Match Grade full size 1911, mfg 2004, I've had it for 7 years and probably have shot 15000 rounds, the slide release appears normal size.  

The last major jam I had the spent cartridge was horizonal with a live round underneath it, it was jammed so tight I couldn't get it into slide lock.

I mentioned the slide release because occasionally after I ram home a mag during a re-load it the slide moves forward without me engaging the slide lock.

Thank you very much for offering or the use of your backup, but my policy has always been to not borrow fire arms. 

As far as the ammo I've checked and re-checked my procedures in re-loading, and I always put each round through a case gage prior to use.  

I've changed mags from McCormik to Kimber and numbered them to see if it was one particular mag causing the problem, to no avail. 

I checked the Bordertown WB list of who is coming and saw that Bogus Deal wasn't coming.   

Would it out of line if I asked you to bring the parts, assuming you have them, and taking a look at my Kimber?   I realize you are shooting both matches and 

you probably have your schedule all worked out, if not don't concern yourself as I understand you are here to shoot, not to fix someone' pistol.

Regards

Blaze

Kimber makes a Super Match II 1911 now.   I don't see the model you bought that was made in 2004.  But, 1911 parts are highly interchangeable.

I've got two new extractors I'll bring, as it does sound like an extractor problem could be your situation.   I'll bring my extractor tuner kit, too.  Stones and tension gauge and trigger pull gauge (used to measure the tension).  I do not have a slide release.   I find I get over 100K rounds from a slide release, so I don't have a spare right now.  I've got a ton of Tripp mags with me at all times, 

I believe Jim Bowie is coming to BT with his portable work trailer.   He may be your best bet for a quick and accurate turn-around.  Check out there Monday.....

If I can help, I'm willing to try. But I got a feeling you are starting a little too late to get this gun running well for BT.

I'll PM you my mobile number.  Should be at the Territorial RV park after 7 PM on Monday.

Good luck, GJ

Blaze - your Personal Message box is full of messages...clear it out some and I'll send my phone number.

Thanks, GJ

I don't use the computer so never let my wife know the message box was full,. She has now emptied it 

I pulled out of Bordertown last week because of the gun, so will not be shooting.

I will be out there every day, I didn't think Jim  worked on 1911, knew he was coming. 

Will have the 1911 with me when I am out there.

Thank you for getting back to me, , ,

Here's a good video to learn how to adjust the tension in a 1911 extractor, if you are up to working this yourself in the mean time.

Wilson Tech Clip on 1911 Extractor Tensioning

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiTlZyqn6flAhVDqZ4KHXWhAk8QwqsBMAB6BAgIEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUOSmJd7HaDY&usg=AOvVaw1Djbu_exKTRJRqx-fuU-Im

Good luck, GJ

Archived