SASS Wire Forum

Gambel's Quail came to dine today.

I throw bird seed over the back fence into the natural area because my wife and I enjoy watching all the birds that come to feed.   I especially like watching the quail.  This morning I took my camera out to the back fence to photo some of the Gambel's quail that came to dine.

The Gambel's quail is such a sassy looking little bird.

Gambel's Quail (Oct. 18, 2019)

U9fKEJ.jpg

lJ19Tl.jpg

m138EA.jpg

uksl7a.jpg

Ef3i9B.jpg

Dang, BQ.  Can't hunt those.  Even if you don't name them.    I guess you are stuck with clay birds now!!

...I'm a bit jealous of the photography and opportunity to have those folks as neighbors!!   B)

13 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

We put out a quail block. Seeds compressed into a block. Been getting about 15 coming in to it. 

Charlie, when we first moved to Arizona in August, 2014, I put out a couple of blocks in the natural area.  But by the next day it was all gone.  The javalina loved it!!!

Pic of Javalina in the natural area behind our back fence.

St71E1.jpg

22 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I throw bird seed over the back fence into the natural area because my wife and I enjoy watching all the birds that come to feed.   I especially like watching the quail.  This morning I took my camera out to the back fence to photo some of the Gambel's quail that came to dine.

The Gambel's quail is such a sassy looking little bird.

Gambel's Quail (Oct. 18, 2019)

U9fKEJ.jpg

lJ19Tl.jpg

m138EA.jpg

uksl7a.jpg

Ef3i9B.jpg

Do you get Mearns quail as well? I have hunted both in AZ when I lived in Las Vegas. they both are pretty birds as well as the Chukars that live in the area.

TM

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Had to look that one up.  Striking markings!

Image result for Mearns quail

They are beautiful birds and I only found them around the Tucson, AZ area. Live in the steep hill sides.

TM

7 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

Do you get Mearns quail as well? I have hunted both in AZ when I lived in Las Vegas. they both are pretty birds as well as the Chukars that live in the area.

TM

TM, we don't have the Mearn's in the Tucson area; need to go higher.  I've hunted Mearn's south of Tucson in the higher elevations.  About wore myself out hunting them up in those mountains with all the "stumbley stones" that kill your legs and have you falling on your backside.  But we had some success.

eb3UFK.jpg

dhPq89.jpg

Wonder how they got out of Gambel’s yard.

14 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

TM, we don't have the Mearn's in the Tucson area; need to go higher.  I've hunted Mearn's south of Tucson in the higher elevations.  About wore myself out hunting them up in those mountains with all the "stumbley stones" that kill your legs and have you falling on your backside.  But we had some success.

eb3UFK.jpg

dhPq89.jpg

That sounds like the same area I hunted many years ago. In fact we could see the border at some of the places we hunted. I hunted with Gene Kindred from Tucson. He was a school teacher there. I met him when I ran field trials with NASTRA. I had bird dogs back then and it was a very tiring hunt for sure.

Archived