SASS Wire Forum

At last

Utah Bob #35998

O frabjous day. Callooh Callay , I chortled in my joy. My water leak is repaired!

:D Life is good.

You is SO lucky...!  An outdoors leak is much better than having a teenage girl suddenly say "Gramma... howcum the tile floor in the kitchen is hot?"  :huh:

Helen Brimstone... 'bout two years ago.  :rolleyes:

And no, Okie, I did not go to the urologist. :P

Water usage last month was 9,000 gallons. A bit much for two people.

28 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Water usage last month was 9,000 gallons. A bit much for two people.

Do you have to meter your wells in Colorado?  :huh:

Now required in california.  :(

15 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Do you have to meter your wells in Colorado?  :huh:

Now required in california.  :(

We don’t have a well. Montezuma Valley water system.

12 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

Even if you are not on city sewage? 

I don't think it's universal (yet!), but I know a few people who were required to install meters on new wells or wells that had major repair work.  Homes on acreage in unincorporated areas with their own septic systems.

Cost was well over a thousand bucks per.  :(

4 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I don't think it's universal (yet!), but I know a few people who were required to install meters on new wells or wells that had major repair work.  Homes on acreage in unincorporated areas with their own septic systems.

Cost was well over a thousand bucks per.  :(

Sounds like just another way for local government to take money they are not entitled to!!

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

We don’t have a well. Montezuma Valley water system.

I'm surprised... I had visions of the Lazy Bob Ranch being something like the Ponderosa!   :)

Maybe a teensy bit smaller...  but not much!  ^_^  

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Sounds like just another way for local government to take money they are not entitled to!!

Ya.  Some of the knotheads in the capitol have been trying for years for statewide well metering - it's just incomprehensible to them that "country folk" should enjoy "free" water.  Free like hell!  Cost to put in a domestic well around here is up to $35,000.  On top of the operating costs, taxes are paid on the installation service, the equipment, the power to run the pump, repairs, plus on the actual operating costs.  Electricity to run well pumps isn't free.

And to top it off, starting in 2020 we will be limited to 55 gallons per day in this state, dropping to 50 gallons/day by 2030.  Don't plan on showering on laundry day!  :huh:

58 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So Bob... how hard was the repair project?  

I dug up where the service line comes up into the house. No leak. I dug up the yard hydrant I had replace about 10 years ago. No leak, but I kissed the pipe with the backhoe bucket and bent it. Had to buy another hydrant. Water company said their meter was functioning okay.  Finally got American Leak Detection to come out. About a 3 hour drive for them but I had used that company in Florida before and they were great. After a couple of hours they pinpointed the leak just outside the water meter about 100 yards from the house. 

So yesterday I dug down where they put their flag and hit mud. I channeled over to the meter pit (with my 1968 entrenching tool) and when I got to the meter pit it appeared the leak was directly under the pit. So I got the water company out to take a look. They get all kinky if you mess around in their meter pit. This morning at 8:30 they showed up with a backhoe and a crew,  replaced the meter, new connections, fixed the leak, and were done by 11. So the only work I did really was digging up the yard 3 times with the backhoe and replacing the hydrant. The water company fortunately took care of the bulk of it. 

8F1C5A19-472E-416B-9CFD-C9CFC6CDCF6E.jpeg

Wow... sounds like some of MY projects, but with a definitely more harmonious outcome!!  :lol:

Gotta love the ol' E-tool.  ^_^

24° this morning. Good day to not be in the bottom of a hole 6 inches deep in water. Unless you're appropriately attired of course. :lol:

Huns2.jpg

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

At last

i thought that maybe your UPS package arrived.

Speaking of that...here's my ltest shiping adventure. I ordered a drill. Shipped last Wednesday. It went from Ohio to Pennsylvania (that's the wrong direction) then back to Ohio.  :angry:

Saturday, October 19
10:01 AM
Package has left the carrier facility
Groveport, OH US
Friday, October 18
11:04 PM
Package arrived at a carrier facility
Groveport, OH US
4:54 AM
Package has left the carrier facility
Fedex Smartpost Breinigsville, PA US
12:52 AM