SASS Wire Forum

Be Careful Out There - Frightening Events

Calamity Kris

All I’m saying is I refuse to give up my freedom for a job, I would take less money if I had to! That’s just me, to each his own! I made a decision to be self employed, I may have been able to make more money if I worked somewhere but I chose my freedom instead! 

How many of you are aware that Guns are not allowed in US Post Offices or parking lots they own .

Federal Off-Limit Areas Even With a Permit

There are also Federal laws that ban the carrying of firearms on most Federal properties. This also applies to concealed carry permit/license holders. A full list follows;

Federal Courthouses*

Federal Buildings*

Any Building - Owned, Leased or Rented by the Federal Government. This includes buildings in National Forests which are property of the Federal Government. There is no Federal Law that prohibits carry in National Forests. States control the carrying of firearms in National Forests in their state.

Federal Prisons*

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers* - The Corps builds and runs flood control and navigation Dams. The Corps has jurisdiction over the Dam Site and usually all waters backed up by the dam. Carry anywhere on Corps property is illegal. Firearms can be unloaded and secured in a vehicle while on Corps Property.

National Cemeteries*

Military Bases - Firearms are forbidden on military bases even unloaded and secured in a vehicle. Carry not allowed. Some have shooting clubs. You can take firearms onto the Base to shoot if allowed by the base. Certain rules/regulations must be met before bringing firearms onto a Military Compound. Check at each Military Post for specific rules on Shooting Clubs.

Rented Offices - Any part of any building that the Federal Government has rented for Office space or work force etc. Just their offices or the part of the building they have control over. You can carry in the rest of the building if state or local laws allow.

Amtrak - will have a system in place to check firearms/Ammo in (Amtrak Firearms Policy)

Post Office - Postal regulations prohibit the possession of firearms in their buildings and in their parking lots or any property they own.

Bureau of Land Management* - If you can legally carry in the state the BLM land is in you can carry on the BLM land. If it is not legal the area will be posted as no firearms allowed. Any building on the BLM land operated by the federal government is considered federal property and carry in those buildings is not allowed.

Indian Reservations - Carry on Indian property is controlled by Tribal Law. You must check with each tribe before carrying on their property. Some Indian Tribes consider federal and state highways through their property as under their control.

* This includes parking lots adjacent to or part of the facility if the Federal Agency/Entity owns or has control of the parking lot and it is posted “No Firearms”. The lot has to be posted under federal law if they do not wish to have firearms present.

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

All I’m saying is I refuse to give up my freedom for a job, I would take less money if I had to! That’s just me, to each his own! I made a decision to be self employed, I may have been able to make more money if I worked somewhere but I chose my freedom instead! 

I appreciate your position.  In my case, when I hear Homeland Security intercepted another cyber attack, I know I had a hand in that.  When our warfighters return home to their families, I know I had a hand in that.  When the NSA catches someone spying on us, I know I had a hand in that too.  The biggest thrill in my career was when a warfighter comes up and said they appreciate what we do because it made their life safer, easier, better or whatever.  That too is why I do what I do.

In this life there are give and takes.  I'm willing to make a small sacrifice for those who make huge sacrifices for us.

6 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Either something ain't right with this story, OR..... both the store manager and police Sgt are stupid or cowards.

When the store manager stated "..... this kind of thing happens more often than you know",  then WHY wasn't

he taking precautions when a perp 'hangs out' around the outside of the store?

AND... if the Police Sgt was aware of these situations and had reasonable MO on these situations, WHY 

isn't some of these particular stores patrolled or at the least, the store managers encouraged

to contact local LEO's when these perps started hanging round outside the store.

Like I said, something just doesn't sound right about these stories.

..........Widder

I agree with you.  I don't know the answer.  IIRC this particular store is in one of the small municipalities along this main road.  They may not have the staff.  I am going to bring it up to the county sheriff and find out what he thinks and is planning on doing about it.

We're not supposed to have firearms in our vehicles on company property, parking on the street is closer to the building than using certain areas of the parking lot, stoopid rule, not enforced by anyone. It's an excuse to fire someone for not following policies and procedures. People just park on the street, I know why they park on the street, others don't. I've seen clients packing concealed weapons (poorly concealed) in our buildings and it doesn't bother me, I have told them to use better concealment so they didn't get hassled. Shot with one of the HR people at work today, his first time shooting CAS. He was pretty impressed. There are many people carrying in Wyoming and not much problem with sex trafficking or kidnapping. It's also a long way to the southern border.

37 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

I appreciate your position.  In my case, when I hear Homeland Security intercepted another cyber attack, I know I had a hand in that.  When our warfighters return home to their families, I know I had a hand in that.  When the NSA catches someone spying on us, I know I had a hand in that too.  The biggest thrill in my career was when a warfighter comes up and said they appreciate what we do because it made their life safer, easier, better or whatever.  That too is why I do what I do.

In this life there are give and takes.  I'm willing to make a small sacrifice for those who make huge sacrifices for us.

Good for you, I still would refuse to give up my freedom, my life my choice! If your happy with your job that’s all that counts. Your life your choice!

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Post Office - Postal regulations prohibit the possession of firearms in their buildings and in their parking lots or any property they own.

Well, that's it!!!

I'm taking my mail elsewhere!!!!

Oh...um...never mind....:wacko:

LL

19 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I'm talking about the woman walking to the store, not the store employee.

She didn't have a gun in her car because her company prohibited guns on the property and she had just left work.

Kris - I work under similar conditions but we're not even close to being as secure as your facility.

We've also had active shooter scenarios in the past with disgruntled employees (civilian, not government - though it doesn't matter as bullets don't discriminate once they leave the barrel.)

I don't agree with the policies but I enjoy my job.

I've been halfway around the world at different points of my previous career and more than a few times in places that didn't care for Americans.  We couldn't legally carry so much as a pocket knife in some locations.

Get some training/additional training on threat detection and look at some non-lethal/non-traditional hand-held weapons (kubaton/ink pen) and stay alert and confident.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:27 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Either something ain't right with this story, OR..... both the store manager and police Sgt are stupid or cowards.

When the store manager stated "..... this kind of thing happens more often than you know",  then WHY wasn't

he taking precautions when a perp 'hangs out' around the outside of the store?

AND... if the Police Sgt was aware of these situations and had reasonable MO on these situations, WHY 

isn't some of these particular stores patrolled or at the least, the store managers encouraged

to contact local LEO's when these perps started hanging round outside the store.

Like I said, something just doesn't sound right about these stories.

..........Widder

I'm with Widder.  Likely the store employees are in on the activities or at least know who's doing it.  Also, there had to be an accomplice in some kind of get away vehicle - likely a closed van. 

A few years back I read an article where they interviewed 100 convicted rape offenders.   On the question of how the rapest selected their victims,  the reply was that the women had long hair - preferably in a ponytail or brades. They would come from behind and grab them by the ponytail and slam them down.  This would make them incapacitated enough to take the fight out of them.  I can imagine a back pack working about as well.  

Kansas City and St Louis are growing towards each other and spreading crime in it's path.  The prosperous city of Columbia is overrun with gangs and crime.  But the local authorities don't want to make it public. 

We have one area in our county that is a well known drug distribution and fencing operation.  The local law knows it and won't go in there. It's along the river so the bad guys can run up and down the river to do their business.  They recruit below age teenagers to do break in robberies - likely exchanging stilen property for drugs.

I've talked with several of our county deputies and they are supportive of citizens pecking iron and will admit that they can't protect you. 

There is a predator element in our society that have no more moral guidance given a crocodile.  

20 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Same for me.  Occasionally we get feedback from the military on how what we do has directly impacted our warfighting capabilities around the globe. Lets you know the long hours and unpredictable schedule are worth it.

Although for me personally what I do really hit home when family comes back from a deployment talking about how a newly deployed asset / technology that I personally help to develop / deliver allowed them or someone they know to come home in one piece.  

Archived