SASS Wire Forum

Legal AR for CA! For now anyway...

Dantankerous

Ummm...I think these guys had better read the regs again.

I would not buy that and try to say it's a featureless legal rifle in CA. CA does not recognize that gray area of calling a gun a "Firearm". It must be a "handgun" or a "long gun". There is no "firearm" designation.

Maybe some folks get their kicks talking / arguing with law enforcement about their guns at a  shooting range or a traffic stop. I do not. 

I take risks on my motorcycle but those risks won't cost me thousands in court / attorney's fees or land me in the pokey. Fooling around with gun laws is a risk I prefer not to mess with in this state. I wouldn't give this "firearm" a second look if it were presented to me at a gun show.

I would think that Franklin Armory has attorneys that researched it. Maybe not. We’ll wait for a test case I guess.

Handguns eligible for sale in CA have to be on CA's "Approved List" https://www.oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search

I rather doubt what Franklin Arms is allegedly selling as "CA legal" has gone through the testing and even if by chance they submit one or more guns for testing and they do pass the tests, CA will still not approve the gun based on looks alone. 

So I read it and I do not see much that makes it that much different than an AR style "pistol".  I do not think CA or others are going to accept that if it is not classified as a rifle by the ATF then they are going to call it a pistol and it still has banned features that are listed in the banned assault handgun category.  For heavens sake a broomhandle mauser is classified as a an assault pistol since it has a ammunition feeding device other than in the handle. 

As stated above I am not sure I want to arguing all that in those court systems and if it came down to it, will Franklin put up the money and attornies to help you out?

Alright, I do not see what is the problem with so called featureless long guns.   There is little I can not do with a Mini 30, Mini 14 or my Winchester 1907.

I have no interest in ARs, nor do I have a dog in the fight.
With that in mind, I would not attempt to own an AR in California.

The law here is SO capricious, it changes as the wind blows.
That which was legal and grand fathered yesterday, is now illegal and banned today.
I figure CA will ban my SA revolvers last of all.

It’s only cosmetic. Besides, I actually like that stock. It’s remarkably comfortable and intuitive while shooting. 

and...they aren’t “leaders”. 

Archived