SASS Wire Forum

More Cabela’s/ Bass Pro antics

Pat Riot

Bass Pro / Cabela’s sent me a survey. I was going to delete the email and move in but then I thought, “why not!”

Besides the fishing for info they should already know as I am a “club” member they asked if I planned to purchase anything with them soon, if I would recommend them to friends and family and a question about my experiences with “Bass Pro”...they didn’t ask about Cabela’s. This tells me the BP cancer is at stage 4 for any semblance of Cabela’s to remain anything like it’s former self.

I gave every question the very lowest setting in my answer.

I think it’s ironic that I have just placed 2 orders with “Cabela’s” this past week and now I get a survey. 

Here’s the kicker;

The first order I placed I thought I burned the last of my points to get a set of 9mm Luger reloading does but the bastages charged my card, not my points.

So, yesterday I ordered a few Lee Pro-locks (I think that’s what they are called) to burn my points.

To show me just how far BP has taken Cabela’s. I had to jump through hoops just to be able to use my measly $63.85 pittance worth of points. 

Anyway, my points are gone. I will no longer use the Cabela’s Club card and I plan to pay off most of it tomorrow then put in for a different credit card and transfer a small balance over to the new card.

I am done with Cabela’s...I mean Johnny Morris’ Bass Pro.

RIP Cabela’s :(

Have a fantastic Friday! :D

I cancelled my Cabelas card and account when they switched to Capital One.  Coincidentally, that was the same time Bass Pro took over, and when most of the stuff I shopped Cabelas for disappeared.  I toss their mail flyers in the trash without opening them, and delete email the same way.   

Their former flagship location in Sidney, Nebraska is like a ghost town, along with Sidney. If anyone is looking to purchase an inexpensive home in the center of the country Sidney is the place, I-80 runs right through it. Considering Sidney is centrally located and easy to access it would be a great location for EOT, if it was to relocate.

I use a Cash Guarantee Card instead of a credit card, so I just take that elsewhere.

I shop very carefully and watch pricing.
Bass Pro here was the only one carrying AA shotshells for a decent price.
They were cheaper than any of the online vendors, and no shipping.
I had to wait a couple weeks, but that was the tradeoff for the low price.

When the new CA gun laws become effective on 1/1/2020, I will be spending more time in BP and Sportsman's Warehouse for all the little stuff I would normally get from Grafs or Midway.  Gotta do those background checks on those dangerous springs and pins.

I stopped shopping there about a year ago.  The customer service I received was pathetic at both stores.  There was a time once when we’d stuff a bunch of folks in a RV, drive to Sidney and shop like the world was coming to a end in 48 hours.  That was Cabelas in its prime, long gone they are.

I had return a product from Bass pro it took 2 years to find something priced competitive.

I gave up and finally got me a Stoeger 12 ga 16" for my SASS aspirations, my local BP on week ends is crowded nightmare and waiting time is 40' at least.  

After waiting 40' the clerk called my # and asked me if I was about to buy it, said to him no I will eat it, replied.

The Stoeger was on the shelf in front of me.

To the end of the paper work one manager was very friendly and polite and offer me to see others products, sadly did not meet him before.

czhen

FL

I used to go to Cabelas all the time to stock up on ammo. Unfortunately since the BP takeover sales on cheap range ammo have become few and far between, so I stopped going there and started buying from Walmart instead. Now they're ending sales of pistol and SBR ammo... so I guess I have to go online now and buy in bulk. And with the WA legislature trying their hardest to emulate their Big Brother down south I don't know how long that's going to last either. :rolleyes:

I shop my local gun shop for most of my needs.  I find they beat Cablea's/Bass Pro Shops on every item in the store.  If I need something special, they are great about order specialty stuff.  Customer Service is great cause they know me and know I take my business there.  Feel bad for those of your who don't have a local shop to deal with.

To me it's just a store. I got a fine outfitters tent at Cabelas years back, but didn't shop there much because it was 20 miles away, and I never liked the overwrought atmosphere. It always seemed to me that that business model was really expensive and couldn't last forever. Too much showbiz...

Bass Pro opened here in Tacoma just a few years ago, it's just OK on guns and ammo but I've bought both there. I have bought many shorts, shirts, other outdoor clothing there, because I like the quality and fit (and prices) of their Red Head brand. Customer service hasn't been great at any big-box store for a long time, as far as finding stuff is concerned.

But again, they're just stores; nothing to get too indignant about. I read the ad flyers, because sometimes you see something good.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I shop my local gun shop for most of my needs.  I find they beat Cablea's/Bass Pro Shops on every item in the store.

I wish I could say that about the small shops near me. $16.99 for a box of the cheapest 9mm, or $24.99 for .45CP is the norm. I get that the mom & pop shops need to make money, but sorry I'm not paying those prices for ammo.

The Cabelas store brand for clothes used to be pretty good.  Now that Bass Hole has taken over, that Redhead brand is the store brand.  The quality control sucks.  I only go there for a few small items that I have a hard time finding anywhere else.

2 hours ago, MAYOBARD SASS #13025L said:

Now that Bass Hole has taken over, that Redhead brand is the store brand.  The quality control sucks.

I've had zero quality problem with the Red Head clothes. Thinking about it, two pair of summer shorts, three  short sleeve shirts, three of four long sleeve shirts, fleece vest....like 'em all. I've gone out of my way to buy there, but that's just talking clothes. 

In the past I have shopped at both. I used to love BP for the fishing gear. Once I discovered Cabela’s BP was a bore for me. Now BP has ruined Cabela’s. BP has gotten litigiously stupid and blinded by their own success. They can pound sand. 

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I wish I could say that about the small shops near me. $16.99 for a box of the cheapest 9mm, or $24.99 for .45CP is the norm. I get that the mom & pop shops need to make money, but sorry I'm not paying those prices for ammo.

I understand.  You have to do your shopping.  We are fortunate here to have some nice shops in Michigan that buy in big enough quantities to do some discounting.  

On 10/18/2019 at 6:07 AM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I cancelled my Cabelas card and account when they switched to Capital One.  Coincidentally, that was the same time Bass Pro took over, and when most of the stuff I shopped Cabelas for disappeared.  I toss their mail flyers in the trash without opening them, and delete email the same way.   

I did the same. Told them I didn't do business with the new bank handling their credit cards. I haven't been back since.

TM

Yep. I'm thinking of cutting up my Cabelas card and digging out the Scheels card that I have never used and may not even have activated it.

I've always had good results when dealing with them.

I think I'm done with big box sporting goods stores.  Sawmill Mary and I just made a loop back east through Knoxville and back to Mid-missouri.   

We stopped at Kentucky Gun Company on way out.  I had great expectations.  But didn't find anything I couldn't find local and generally at better price.  I was wanting to look through used guns. I had ask about the used guns. They are in the racks marked with a blue tag. I went back through and spotted about a dozen used guns.  But there wasn't any old used guns.  All were new production guns. I suspect they were guns that had been returned.

While in Knoxville area,  we made our way to the new Bud's Guns.  Nothing for me in the store. The only thing interesting was a Standard Manufacturing single action. Salesman let us handle it. Beautiful gun. 

2004070222_StandardManufacturingsingleactionOct2019.jpg.7c9ce1f4a0b4b50534f493296d6e37ce.jpg

The color case is really nice. Overall fit and finish perfect.

Went across the street to Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo.   Place was packed!  Huge store with multiple levels.  Lots of stuff I don't need or need to buy from them. 

On way back we stopped in at Sportsman's Warehouse in Murfreesboro Tennessee.  I was full of stuff and lots of employees  but not customers.   I walked back and forth looking at guns while the staff played with auto pistols and BSed.

424107726_SportsmansWarehouseOct2019.jpg.75ff67187a64d56c05b354d2b27804cf.jpg

The only single actions were in front of this goober's knees.   I went over and told them to quit playing with the damn things.  (They were racked the slides back and letting them slam shut.  Annoying! ) They broke up. 

I was later looking at some over priced socks and a sales lady came up to offer help.  I got to talking with her about new Sportsman's Warehouse locations.  She took me to a map where there were some 100 pins that marked store locations.   They are expanding fast. She said Sportsman's Warehouse was buying out a lot of Dick's stores.  But not all of them. 

Stopped at Dixie Gun Works in Union Tennessee.  I could have taken a truck load of stuff from there if I could afford it.  But only bought a few Pietta parts. 

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I was later looking at some over priced socks and a sales lady came up to offer help.  I got to talking with her about new Sportsman's Warehouse locations.  She took me to a map where there were some 100 pins that marked store locations.   They are expanding fast. She said Sportsman's Warehouse was buying out a lot of Dick's stores.  But not all of them. 

I like Sportsman’s Warehouse. They don’t have the best prices but they do have a nice selection of pretty much everything in guns, hunting and fishing. I have always found the staff to be nice and fairly knowledgeable. 
Unfortunately there aren’t any in SoCal. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I like Sportsman’s Warehouse. They don’t have the best prices but they do have a nice selection of pretty much everything in guns, hunting and fishing. I have always found the staff to be nice and fairly knowledgeable. 

For sure I am fortunate that Grafs Reloading is just 20 minutes from us and we go past there when we shop. The retail center can just go back into the warehouse and get anything that you can find online.   I just walk in the door and 20' and I'm at the counter.  Sales people see me coming and ask, "What can we get for you today? ".  I hold out my phone where I've stored the item numbers and they go back and get what I need.  Grafs can cover off 99% of my reloading needs. They even stock Dillon products. 

MidwayUSA is only 45 minutes away.   I can place an order online and it'll be at pick-up counter before I can get half way there.  They often have the gun parts or gunsmith tools or supplies I need - 7 days a week.

Starline is 90 minutes away but I'm more likely to buy Starline from Grafs or even MidwayUSA.  Sometimes the price is even better than Starline and back when brass was hard to get, Grafs or MidwayUSA may have what I needed when Starline was out. 

Missouri Bullet Company is 2 hours away so it's really not cost effective to drive and pick up bullets but we do anyway.  We make a stock up run once a year.  I can still buy their bullets from Grafs or MidwayUSA.  

I don't shop for clothing or foods at the big box sporting goods stores so there is very little to draw me to them. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Their price on Black MZ and Remington caps is the best I have found. 

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Their price on Black MZ and Remington caps is the best I have found. 

The nearest Sportsman’s Warehouse to me is in Visalia CA 216 miles away. When I lived in Oregon I had a store 25 miles away and when I drove to SoCal from Oregon I would stop at the store in Redding, CA. 

Their prices on many things were pretty good. I also remember when ammo was in short supply they set rules on how much one could buy. They did the same with reloading powders. They held their employees to the same restrictions as they gave their customers. There was no special treatment, from what I was told. 

When we lived in Grand Junction, CO we had Cabelas & Sportsman's Warehouse. Cabela's, before the buyout, was a good store and I could always find something to buy, but they were never very supportive of local shooting sports. Sportsman's on the other hand was always willing to support local activities plus they were a true sporting goods store. 

CBG

We have both Bass Pro and Sportsman Warehouse in Sacramento.

I gave them first crack at our Vaqueros, Single-Sixes, Marlin, Henry Frontier, Stoeger and Remington V3.
Factoring in FFL fees and shipping, both stores were miles higher in price or lack of availability.

It an item is not in their online catalog, they refuse to order it.
NP.  I refuse to buy from them, so it is all good.

FFL fees here run $75 to $100.
My just-arrived V3 and $75 FFL fee was still $150 less than Sportsmans.
Same for all the above.

Bass Pro had the very best case price for Winchester AA, but I had to wait 3 weeks for them to arrive.

Archived