SASS Wire Forum

Timing Question

Tequila Shooter

I wanted to change the hammers on my Pietta pistols.  Got a couple of quotes, but now I'm a little reluctant to "pull the trigger" (sorry bad joke).  Both companies, Cimmaron and EMF said that changing hammers would probably change the timing and they'd have to retimed.  My questions are:

1. Is that true?

2. Is retiming hard to do or do have to have a gunsmith do it?

3. If it takes a gunsmith any recommendations on a good one?

There's nothing wrong with the current hammers or timing, I'm just shooting Duelist and the thumb stretch on the current hammers is a little long.

I have only timed one revolver when I changed a cylinder on an old High Standard. I got lucky. I have changed many hammers on Ruger Vaqueros and no timing changes were needed. I do not know the internal workings of Pietta’s or any Colt clones as I have never owned one. I am pretty savvy and handy with guns and smithing them myself ... But, if timing is necessary I would pay the money to have it done right. It may cost you less in the long run. 

my dos centavos 

You need more recoil.

I've not had any issues changing out hammers in Piettas or Ubertis myself; timing has remained the same in the 3-4 guns I've messed with. If you do have trouble seems Slick McClade is down your way, and if he can't I'm sure someone at your local clubs will know how to fix them.

It's just the luck of the draw. I've swapped out hammers on upwards to a dozen Uberti Cattleman and had no problems.  One even corrected a timing problem.

Then I've had to basically rebuild a new (but previously owned) Cimarron Eliminator. 

Only way to know is to try it and find out. You'll need a hammer anyway. But don't get out hones unless you fell real confident you know what you're doing.  

7 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

I wanted to change the hammers on my Pietta pistols.   

Here's another options for changing the hammers...  Keep the hammer and just change the spur.

This is a Pietta 1860 Army with a Ruger Super Blackhawk hammer spur.  

IMG_20191008_134458218.thumb.jpg.4d1f1b2ad04f2adae3d36e0453e7b1db.jpg

8 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

McCandless - who did the welding it looks seamless.

Three Cut in North Carolina.  You can drop him a message here: https://www.facebook.com/james.clubbiii

Three Cut is a good people and a TOP HAND doing this kind of work!!

I have not cut and replaced the Spur, but have notched, heated and bend down the hammer on several. As for the timing on a Colt or Clone, sometimes a simple swap will work, but my experience has had me do some work on the Bolt to get it to drop at the right time. In the early days I screwed up many of my own guns messing with the timing, just out of ignorance. It looks so simple, but can be a bit tricky. You might just try it and see where thing fall. Over dressing the Cam can get you into trouble, so go slowly if you work on it. Playing with the inside leg of the Bolt is the cheapest part to replace if you mess it up. If you are cycling the action fast, setting the timing a little early can be helpful. Just try it, then do some research on dressing the Bolt and go for it. If you need to replace it because you went too far... it's not an expensive mistake, and can be a great learning process. when adjusting the timing on a Colt, just go slow.

Snakebite

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

Ty, I've never understood the math on this.

Gun rolls back in your hand, raising the muzzle and bringing the hammer closer to your thumb; cock the hammer as the muzzle lowers to shooting position. More recoil = higher muzzle rise.  This is assuming plow handle or birdhead grips.

1. Is that true? ---YES

2. Is retiming hard to do or do have to have a gunsmith do it? Not hard, IF you know how and have the correct tools to do such.

The timing issue is corrected by replacing and fitting a new cyl pawl(hand). 

OLG

14 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Seems like that would kill your split times. I hold dead on and just use my thumb. I don't have to wait on the muzzle to raise and lower and reaquire the target. 

A little yes, but:

1. I shoot gunfighter mostly and it doesn't matter.
  2. I use BP so gotta wait for the smoke to clear anyway :D
  3. When I shoot duelist with that heathen smokeless mess, I want my competitors to have more recoil and a slight delay in target aquisition :ph34r:

I've swapped out hammers a few times on piettas. Most of the time it it doesnt require much if any work to correct the timing for plinking. however you may see a difference in the timing once you try running at full speed. It is not difficult to do once you understand how it all works. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself then by all means send it out. If you do decide to do it yourself make sure you have additional spare parts on hand. On occasions that i've trimmed a little too much off from a hand I never thrown them out. Never know when i'll find a pistol that needs that length of hand. 

T.F. Jack

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Gun rolls back in your hand, raising the muzzle and bringing the hammer closer to your thumb; cock the hammer as the muzzle lowers to shooting position. More recoil = higher muzzle rise.  This is assuming plow handle or birdhead grips.

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Seems like that would kill your split times. I hold dead on and just use my thumb. I don't have to wait on the muzzle to raise and lower and reaquire the target. 

Tyrel I understand what you're saying.  Tennessee after watching you shoot I saw what you're talking about, but you saw me shoot too and should realize that my split time is measured with a calendar :lol:  ;).  

5 hours ago, McCandless said:

Three Cut in North Carolina.  You can drop him a message here: https://www.facebook.com/james.clubbiii

McCandless does he have another way of reaching him?  I don't do Facebook, I hate Big Brother watching me.

6 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

McCandless does he have another way of reaching him?  I don't do Facebook, I hate Big Brother watching me.

Sending you a PM

Archived