SASS Wire Forum

BP + 92 question

Turkey Flats Jack

Those of you familiar with the model 92 have you run black powder through them? How terrible are they to clean afterwards? I normally run a 66 or 73 in 45 colt with bp loads. but I found a Rossi 92 in 44-40 at what I feel like is a hard to pass price. I pretty much only shoot true BP and I'd certainly only run BP in a 44-40. How could I not? Lol 

Thanks

T.F. Jack

I bought a Browning 92 about 8 years ago from the cowboy who won the Black Powder class at Winter Range 1n 1999 with it. I have shot black (APP) since then with no problems. It was worked over in 1999 by the Cowboys & Indians shop and has had nothing but regular cleaning since then. I ve only torn it down a coupe of times and it was clean inside, just needs regular post-match routine. That's 20 years of BP shooting from one well-made, well-setup gun!

I shot a Hartford 92 in 38 for about ten years shooting black powder. About once I year I took off the stock and soaked it really good and then blew everything off and lubricated it good and back shooting. I prefer the 73 now in 44/40 only because it really is easier to tear down and clean. You will enjoy the 92 in 44/40 shooting black powder.

Nope, skip it, nothing but trouble; adding BP to the mix will only make the problems worse and frustrate you immensely.

Where exactly is this gun for sale?

In case you couldn't tell, I was kidding. You shouldn't have any trouble with BP, especially in that caliber.

I run one in 38 special shooting APP and occasionally real BP with no issues.  After a two day match all I do is wet down the action with moose milk and let soak while I clean my pistols. Then I flush out the action with hot water. Pull a squeegee type jag down the barrel followed with a bore snake wet down with Ballistol.  Squirt a little ballistol into the action and cycle a few time to ensure it gets everywhere. Wipe off the excess and it is good to go.  About twice a year (two dozen or so matches) I tear completely down and deep clean.

Never have had any issues. 44-40 should be a lot cleaner.

Here's a post from Nate Kiowa Jones from 2013.

I use AutoZone brand brake parts cleaner. I use it everyday on the Rossi 92's and have been for the last 20 years. This is what I have found. First, not all brake parts cleaners are the same. Some are harsh enough to damage plastic parts and finishes. If you aren't certain the product is safe just purchase the Birchwood-Casey brand Gunscrub.

I have never experience damage to any gun parts or finish using the AutoZone brand. Many years ago I contacted the manufacturer and ask them how it compared to the B-C Gunscrub. Comparing the ingredients they told me it was the same thing as their brake parts cleaner.

This product by Albany Brake parts company was sold at the local Auto Zone parts store but packaged in Lafayette

La. Since that time Auto zone has it packaged with their name on it.

A word of caution, some Carburetor cleaners are caustic. They can be too harsh

on wood finishes and plastic parts. Some of these carburetor cleans are like

EZ-Off oven cleaner. I use Ez-off to help remove old finishes and oils from old

gun stocks.

Take the butt stock off before you do this.  Spray it down the muzzle & in the action.  When yer done, set it muzzle-up in the corner of the garage until all the residue has dripped out & evaporated.

Then, lube it up good with a spray lube, run a patch down the bore, put the buttstock back on & yer done.  Works very well.

--Dawg

I have been using APP for 8 years in a 92 with zero issues. 

Brake clean and Ballistol is your friends. 

Run 45 colt with good crimp. Normal BP cleaning regimen. Used brake cleaner to bare metal then Ballistol when switching to BP. Now everything stays soft until I get around to cleaning it. Recommend a full size inert cartridge to help reassembly. 44-40 should be no problem what so ever. 

5 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I use AutoZone brand brake parts cleaner. I use it everyday on the Rossi 92's and have been for the last 20 years. This is what I have found. First, not all brake parts cleaners are the same. Some are harsh enough to damage plastic parts and finishes. If you aren't certain the product is safe just purchase the Birchwood-Casey brand Gunscrub.

I have never experience damage to any gun parts or finish using the AutoZone brand. Many years ago I contacted the manufacturer and ask them how it compared to the B-C Gunscrub. Comparing the ingredients they told me it was the same thing as their brake parts cleaner.

This product by Albany Brake parts company was sold at the local Auto Zone parts store but packaged in Lafayette

gun stocks.

Take the butt stock off before you do this.  Spray it down the muzzle & in the action.  When yer done, set it muzzle-up in the corner of the garage until all the residue has dripped out & evaporated.

Then, lube it up good with a spray lube, run a patch down the bore, put the buttstock back on & yer done.  Works very well.

--Dawg

this is great. it's almost exactly what I already do with my 66 & 73 for regular post match cleaning. 

Hot water to clean and liberal amounts of Balistol.  Wipe the surface and good to go. That's it.

Works great on my Rugers, 1860 Uberti, 1873 Uberti, 1894 Marlin, and 1892 Rossi (SS)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

* Remove the stock

* Inplug the magazine tube

* Spray the tube and the action good with your favorite cleaner

* Take the rifle to your favorite beer joint

* Scream ... THIS IS NOT A HOLDUP

Go in the Men's room and put the rifle under the Exactor Hand Dryer for a good Blow Job

Go back out to the bar - order a beer and enjoy your day :wub::D

On 10/18/2019 at 4:23 AM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

gun stocks.

--Dawg

For Black powder cleanup the Brake parts cleaner is step two in the process.

I am from and lived in SE Texas not far from the Gulf and with the humidity here I can watch thing rust. I shot BP almost exclusively for CAS and one of my guns is an original 92 made in 1895. At the range, I use a 10 to 1 mix of Balistol and water in a spray bottle to keep thing loose in all my guns and when I`m through for the day I spray them all inside and out one last time because sometimes I don`t get around to cleaning for several days. All this does is keep the fouling loose and oily until I can clean the guns.

When it`s time to clean I use two primary products that are readily available. I use Windex Multi-Surface Cleaner with Vinegar. This is the clear Windex but regular Windex will work if you add some vinegar. (about 2 table spoons in the standard size bottle) then I mix the bottle of windex with water half and half.

The vinegar is important because it is slightly acidic and helps neutralize the salts in the BP. I have tried some of the other methods that don't use the neutralizing agent such as vinegar and the do OK for short term storeage but eventually the left-over salts will cause rust.

The next product that I use is Albany brand Brake Cleaner available from AutoZone. (it's now their house brand)

image.png.0b632ced6a3ae1373aaf4208f6795ac5.png

This stuff is the same as BC Gunscrub but alot cheaper.

For a 92 rifle, take the buttstock off and you will want to remove the magazine plug, the mag spring and follower. With the Windex, spray inside and out working the action, use a rod and brush in the barrel and mag tube. Use the the windex to wash everything out working the action till it runs clear. I have a sink in my shop and to speed thing up, I run hot water through it, too. This helps dry the gun faster.

The next step is spray it out until it runs clear with the Auto Zone brand Brake parts cleaner. This will displace any left over water but it will also completely dry the gun of all the oils so you will need to oil it.

For gun oils I don't have a preference other than it should be a spray type oil. This is the best way to insure that the oil gets down in all the right places. I use WD-40 or Rem Oil. Some like to use Balistol. Spray it down dripping, stand it on it`s muzzle and let it drain overnight, wipe it down, put it back together and your done.

This sounds like a lot of work, but because I do this on a regular bases, I have an area in my shop just for this and it only takes me about 30 minute to clean two or three pistols, and one or two shotguns and rifles.

Archived