SASS Wire Forum

Connecticut - Firearm Laws & SASS

Texas Maverick

I was being considered for a position in Stamford, CT but in reading about their strict laws around firearms and gun permits I am rethinking my stand. It does not sound like the environment I am used to. I live in Austin, TX now and have a CHL and carry pretty much everywhere. I also have a gun in my truck. I am an avid hunter and SASS shooter. Anyone out there willing to convey their experience in CT? I would appreciate any comments around this. I just read where it talked about the most restrictive states and it listed CA as number 1 and CT as number 2.

Thanks

Texas Maverick

I think I made the right decision to take my name out of the running for the position. I would end up in jail for sure.

TM

Several years ago, I had a new CZ SxS in my trunk, headed from MA to CT to deliver the gun to Happy Trails for a bit of smoothing.  It wasn't until I saw the "Welcome to Connecticut" sign that I realized that I was now in a state that did not honor my permits, and had no sympathy for out-of-staters caught with firearms.  Slowed down so as not to give any troopers a reason to pull me over.  Not a state to be taken lightly.

LL

45 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

This country is so messed up. I think we're the only nation on Earth where a citizen can be within the law one moment and then suddenly be committing a felony the moment he crosses into another state.

That's why I won't go back tomCalifornia, even for a visit.  I'd be a felon from the first second.

My daughter and her husband moved to N. Carolina and were going to keep her California home of 13 yers so they'd have a place for their friends to visit whenever they went back.  They are in the process of putting the place at Lake Arrowhead on the block as soon as they get fully move and can get everything they want moved east.

Texas Maverick,

Don't do it.  CT sucks, especially when compared to the great state of Texas.  I've grown up here, and if it wasn't for work and family I would be out of here.  All kidding aside, they are pretty communist up here regarding gun laws.  I got my pistol permit years ago, but I don't think its changed much since.

Red Wolf

13 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Several years ago, I had a new CZ SxS in my trunk, headed from MA to CT to deliver the gun to Happy Trails for a bit of smoothing.  It wasn't until I saw the "Welcome to Connecticut" sign that I realized that I was now in a state that did not honor my permits, and had no sympathy for out-of-staters caught with firearms.  Slowed down so as not to give any troopers a reason to pull me over.  Not a state to be taken lightly.

LL

I always thought Massachusetts was the worst state for me to transport a gun. 

16 minutes ago, Snake River Clay SASS #34984 said:

I always thought Massachusetts was the worst state for me to transport a gun. 

Not really.  For those travelling through, or attending a MA shoot, unloaded, in a locked container or the trunk, or with a trigger lock, seperate from ammo.  If you are otherwise a law abiding fellow, no real issue.   If you are shady, have a record, or are involved in illegal activities, expect a delay.  And either way, don't mouth off to the police.

That's part of what made me move to Vermont and it wasn't even quite as communist then!

On 10/16/2019 at 4:23 PM, Texas Maverick said:

I think I made the right decision to take my name out of the running for the position. I would end up in jail for sure.

TM

I live in CT and you're almost certainly right to decide to withdraw your name for consideration, even aside from the gun laws this state sucks: cost of living is high, taxes are high, houses (especially in the Stamford area) are expensive,  it's crowded and the winter is bad.

As for the gun laws, in theory a carry permit is "Shall Issue" however some towns stall, play games and force the applicant to appeal to a board of firearms permit examiners which currently has appeals scheduled into 2021.

We have an assault weapons ban, which includes most "military looking" semi-automatic rifles and there is a magazine ban on any detachable magazine or detachable feeding device that holds more then 10 rounds.  This law was poorly written that it INCLUDES machine gun links, cloth machine gun belts and even original Gatling gun magazines.

A ammo permit is required to buy ammo (and out of state internet dealers will require it)

A long gun permit is required to buy rifles and shotguns and allows the purchase of ammo

A carry permit is required to buy a handgun and also allows the purchase of long guns and ammo

The carry permit does allow a person to carry a gun concealed most places (excluding state parks, airports, prisons, court and a few other places) and does allow open carry, although few CT gun owners chose open carry.

5 hours ago, Chantry said:

I live in CT and you're almost certainly right to decide to withdraw your name for consideration, even aside from the gun laws this state sucks: cost of living is high, taxes are high, houses (especially in the Stamford area) are expensive,  it's crowded and the winter is bad.

As for the gun laws, in theory a carry permit is "Shall Issue" however some towns stall, play games and force the applicant to appeal to a board of firearms permit examiners which currently has appeals scheduled into 2021.

We have an assault weapons ban, which includes most "military looking" semi-automatic rifles and there is a magazine ban on any detachable magazine or detachable feeding device that holds more then 10 rounds.  This law was poorly written that it INCLUDES machine gun links, cloth machine gun belts and even original Gatling gun magazines.

A ammo permit is required to buy ammo (and out of state internet dealers will require it)

A long gun permit is required to buy rifles and shotguns and allows the purchase of ammo

A carry permit is required to buy a handgun and also allows the purchase of long guns and ammo

The carry permit does allow a person to carry a gun concealed most places (excluding state parks, airports, prisons, court and a few other places) and does allow open carry, although few CT gun owners chose open carry.

Thanks for the info. I don't even want to visit much less move there after reading your version.

TM

Archived