SASS Wire Forum

Gun belt suspenders

J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE

Used to shoot with Ol' Bob, and he was just that, old. He suffered from noassatall, severely. His solution was a small D ring attached with a short strap to the top of his gun belt in the back, then a snap clip hanging from the suspenders to hold the gun belt up.

17212_brass_snap_clip_keychain.jpg

I always wear suspenders to keep my cowboy pants up. A belt is just in the way, mostly the buckle. When I shoot Josey Wales I have suspenders holding up the gunbelt, with 5 pistols. It is pretty comfortable actually. I wore this rig for 2 1/2 days at Tn State. The weight of 5 pistols would drag the gunbelt off my narrow behind.

Imis

I have suspenders that hold up my pants and a heavy duty leather hold up my gunbelt.  That way when i take off my gun belt my pants don't fall down and the extra weight of th gunbelt dosen't ruin my everyday suspenders.

27 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

My suspenders (braces) hold up my pants, I have a D ring on the back of them, and run a strap from the D ring under and around my gunbelt to hold it up.

Hmm...  I wonder if a strip of leather with slots for suspender buttons would work too.  Button one end of strap, put on belt, pull strap over and button on the other end.  I know what I'm doing when I get home haha.

Boston Leather makes a piece that is designed for law enforcement and fire personnel.  It is all leather and has leather loops that your gun belt slides through.  They will put brass hardware on it at extra cost.  It's a semi custom piece that you have to order through one of their distributors.  I used one for awhile hoping it would take all the stress off my lower back.  I ended up doing away with the suspenders and shotgun belt.  Scaled everything back and had Michigan Rattler make me a new rig with a 10 shell slide on the front.  Much light and much more comfortable.  

When I first started, I wore the suspenders on my gunbelt and wore the gunbelt tight enough to keep the birtches up.  I figured the gunbelt was more likely to to drop and would be the most disastrous.  But after talking to some pards and getting a little more experience, I discovered that it didn't matter which one ya put the suspenders on, one would keep the other up.  So I switched to putting them on the pants because it made it easier to get dressed. 

Now I have a problem with the buttons on the pants popping off when I'm trying to slip out of them to pee. 

Before I got suspenders I was wearing pants with belt loops and a regular belt under the gun belt.  My wife would tie the belts together with a leather strap.  It was a good excuse to get her to come shoot with me. 

19 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Are yousell gthose or can I borrow the idea for one for myself?

No, I don't sell them. You're welcome to use the idea to make one for yourself. 

Coho

Archived