SASS Wire Forum

Bandoleers, Slides, Belts, Pockets, Pouches...

Quizcat

Started with a 4-round slide, then two more shells in a rear pocket, then a leather belt for many more, and finally ordered a leather belt with elastic, two-shell pockets from Mernickle to hold up to 10 shells. Ultimately, the shotgun will be the key to competitive times, and shells that stick in a leather belt are unacceptable. There isn't enough room on a gun belt to conveniently carry all of what you might need.

As others have mentioned, a separate belt worn on the crest of the belly allows a better view of the shells and places them at a level closer to the shotgun. I don't see many that wear the belt literally at the belly button or where I would suppose it to be located. The belly button thing doesn't acknowledge how so many are actually built but it's hard to say what other level is enforceable. I have never seen anyone called for it, but something extreme should be pretty obvious.

Bandoleer. Like the look and pulling four is very easy.

Pockets or pouches are not my first choice.  I need to grab the shells by their heads and hold them the way I will insert them into my SxS without further manipulation.  Loose shells cannot be grasped that way.  I have carried spare shells in my overalls but with the hope I didn't need them.

I mainly use a shotgun belt. My preference would be a bandoleer, but I don't practice enough to be efficient with it.

Best thing is to go to a match or ten and see for yourself. I rarely see a bandoleer being used around here. 

If you haven't been to a match yet, go to a couple and look at what others are using. Most everybody I've ever shot with will be happy to let you try theirs out. It's a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing. The 2 most popular I've seen are dedicated shotgun belt and slides, though there are a few die hard bandolier users also. You'll save yourself lots of time and money looking and asking at a shoot before buying ANY equipment. Good luck and WELCOME. BTW, I use a belt.

49 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

Which do you prefer for shotgun, and why? Bandoleers, Slides, Pouches, or Pockets?

Keep in mind that if you choose to use a pouch or pocket the shells have to be loose, they can’t be held in an upright fixed position. A pard I shoot with machined some nice wooden fixtures that fit in his vest pockets and held four shells each but he got called on it pretty quick.

56 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Why did you leave out 'Shotgun Shell BELTS'?

..........Widder

Slipped my mind.  I just added belts to the mix in the header. Thanks for reminding me!

I have never tried the Bando but I recall the likes of El Lazo and Tubelo Flash of CA to be quiet efficient with them.  I am sure there are others, seems that Flash from LA runs one well.   The shotgun belt is my, and Sassy's choice, however I have found, like holsters, it is not a simple task of getting the perfect one at first choice.  While I assume the style of bandoleers is relative simple, shotgun belts can have different shapes to some point and many, many configurations up for one to chose.  I have purchased 8-10 shotgun belts over the last 20 years.  I have found only a few, at this point in my life, that actually place shells at suitable position due to my physique.  Seems some belts want to kick shotgun shells more closer to my body where others let them slightly kick forward for much easier grabbing. One must decide in single loops, double loops, or possibly combination plus addition of cartridge loops, and the place that suits you.  There is also decision of material of belt (leather or canvas), but more important perhaps is the material of loops (leather, canvas, or elastic).  Number of loops is personal, especially in cartridges.   I have tried a number of shotgun loops and cartridge (38) loop combinations (10 to one side, five to each side, etc).  Over the last couple of years I have realized that I do not need to be burdened with to many cartridge loops remembering that a couple for reloads is necessary and perhaps a couple for emergency use when at loading table and you discover the sudden need of a extra cartridge for whatever the reason...thus, a nice configuration might be 2-3 on left, right, or both ends .  My preference now is  at least six pairs of shotgun loops, three cartridge loops per end and 1-3 cartridge loops in center of six shotgun pairs. (Deciding factor might be if you shoot sxs, 87, 97 and how you load the rifle reload).  I like leather belt over canvas and leather loops over canvas or elastic.  Sassy likes leather belt and elastic loops, cartridge loops to ends and yes even one loop for lip gloss (I declined on that option).  My favored belts seem to be the "three piece styles" (with center, loop portion, being larger/wider).  As to leather craftsman,  Doc Noper is by far our choice in maker.  The fit and positioning is excellent, and he will go "the extra mile" to see that loops are arranged to your liking.  This is not to say other leather craftsman don't offer similar belts and customer service.  I have a Aint Dunnit sg belt and holster rig that is also excellent in fit and personal likes.

For ladies and some men, there is also the "Tequila style" which places shotgun loops between holsters, Number of loops is limited somewhat but the style is accommodating to many.  With this setup extra belt is not needed.

I began wondering about why elastic was legal to use on a belt, bandoleer, loops, etc...But, at least with respect to it being period authentic, I found out that elastic was invented in 1820,  whereas the Outlawed Items, such as plastic, velcro, and nylon were invented after the turn of the 20th Century.  Canvas was originally invented in the 14th Century in Italy.  

30 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

I began wondering about why elastic was legal to use on a belt, bandoleer, loops, etc...But, at least with respect to it being period authentic, I found out that elastic was invented in 1820,  whereas the Outlawed Items, such as plastic, velcro, and nylon were invented after the turn of the 20th Century.  Canvas was originally invented in the 14th Century in Italy.  

After trying one of Doc's shotgun belts with elastic loops I came to conclusion that if I had been early in game, as Sassy was, I would have appreciated it more.  I felt newer shooter, in the learning stage, could reap from what I consider one of the advantages of the elastic loops, that being that one can literally rip shells out with a forward motion where with leather and canvas loops there is more emphasis in a pull upward then forward. The idea is great for speed but I was relatively fast with leather loops so did not want to go into another learning mode with little to gain.  Again, for newbie or one eager to try a new trick, I think elastic loops might be good ticket. 

Yep Bandoleer for me also..tried belts  & slides for my first 7 years then went to the Bandoleer in '014 ..would never go back.

Just feels natural & great to use 'an I ain't ever gunna run out of shells !!

17 hours ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

After trying one of Doc's shotgun belts with elastic loops I came to conclusion that if I had been early in game, as Sassy was, I would have appreciated it more.  I felt newer shooter, in the learning stage, could reap from what I consider one of the advantages of the elastic loops, that being that one can literally rip shells out with a forward motion where with leather and canvas loops there is more emphasis in a pull upward then forward. The idea is great for speed but I was relatively fast with leather loops so did not want to go into another learning mode with little to gain.  Again, for newbie or one eager to try a new trick, I think elastic loops might be good ticket. 

I had Doc quote a belt with elastic keepers...I thought it was interesting that he recommended a wide elastic loop to hold a pair of shells versus double elastic loops, claiming that a wide loop to accommodate a pair of shells is easier to manipulate, and that conversely a double loop to hold only one shell each causes some difficulty removing them simultaneously for loading.  Seems like good advice to me... 

Those of you preferring to use bandoleers, where did you get yours, and can you describe how they are constructed, canvas versus leather, elastic loops versus leather loops, double loops (single shell in each) versus wide loops (paired shells in each), etc...?

12 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

I very much prefer a bandolier because for me it is faster and more natural type movements than a belt. Also, it restricts my body movement less and is much more comfortable to wear. 

Plus, it seems to me that if using a side x side shotgun, the bandoleer would position the shells closer to the chamber where they're to be loaded, thereby saving time...If you're a stout individual like me, you might have less trouble looking over the "dunlop" (belly done lopped over your belt) and you could actually look more easily to see exactly where the shells are on the bandoleer, rather than potentionally fumbling around at your belt for the shells.  If you're used to using a belt though, I can see where a bandoleer might take some getting used to. 

3 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

Plus, it seems to me that if using a side x side shotgun, the bandoleer would position the shells closer to the chamber where they're to be loaded, thereby saving time...If you're a stout individual like me, you might have less trouble looking over the "dunlop" (belly done lopped over your belt) and you could actually look more easily to see exactly where the shells are on the bandoleer, rather than potentionally fumbling around at your belt for the shells.  If you're used to using a belt though, I can see where a bandoleer might take some getting used to. 

Once you’ve used the bandoleer you don’t look to see where the shells are your draw hand will automatically find them when it’s time.

28 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

Those of you preferring to use bandoleers, where did you get yours, and can you describe how they are constructed, canvas versus leather, elastic loops versus leather loops, double loops (single shell in each) versus wide loops (paired shells in each), etc...?

Tombstone Leather makes the Tupelo Bando, that’s what I got and then had the leather loops replaced with single elastic loops by Double Diamond. With the Tupelo Bando you don’t pull the shells, they tilt out, leather or elastic loops.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine. The back side is the leather loops and the front side is elastic loops. The shells in the back counter balance the ones in the front so that the bandoleer pretty much stays where you want it to.

5184AECB-E62C-48B4-B311-C1D6B7C51A32.jpeg

872A75C6-5900-42AC-B3E1-3D928404B65C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Quizcat said:

I had Doc quote a belt with elastic keepers...I thought it was interesting that he recommended a wide elastic loop to hold a pair of shells versus double elastic loops, claiming that a wide loop to accommodate a pair of shells is easier to manipulate, and that conversely a double loop to hold only one shell each causes some difficulty removing them simultaneously for loading.  Seems like good advice to me... 

Q,

Sassy's elastic loops are actually singles, but with small gap between each pair. Sassy has five sg pairs then to her right her 38 loops and lip gloss loop. PM me e-address and I can sent you couple of pics.

A key before ordering any belt seriously is to hopefully be able to know how you are going to load your shotgun, double or 97, (from left to right, etc)and how you are going to load rifle on a reload (from left, right, or center).  This way you know the most suitable design in all loops.  Good example for starter  belt for double shooter might be six pairs with couple of cartridge loops on each end and perhaps one or two in center.

YL has very interesting design for bandoleer.

I knew there was some other competitive shooter I was not recalling who shot using bandoleer, it was Smokestack.  Bet he could also give you tips if bando is your choice. 

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Tombstone Leather makes the Tupelo Bando, that’s what I got and then had the leather loops replaced with single elastic loops by Double Diamond. With the Tupelo Bando you don’t pull the shells, they tilt out, leather or elastic loops.

Here's a couple of pictures of mine. The back side is the leather loops and the front side is elastic loops. The shells in the back counter balance the ones in the front so that the bandoleer pretty much stays where you want it to.

5184AECB-E62C-48B4-B311-C1D6B7C51A32.jpeg

872A75C6-5900-42AC-B3E1-3D928404B65C.jpeg

That's interesting the way your shotgun loops are positioned above your cartridge loops... I hadn't thought of that design, figured there wouldn't be room for both.  It's nice having a full compliment of extra ammo at your fingertips if you need it.  

57 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Q,

Sassy's elastic loops are actually singles, but with small gap between each pair. Sassy has five sg pairs then to her right her 38 loops and lip gloss loop. PM me e-address and I can sent you couple of pics.

A key before ordering any belt seriously is to hopefully be able to know how you are going to load your shotgun, double or 97, (from left to right, etc)and how you are going to load rifle on a reload (from left, right, or center).  This way you know the most suitable design in all loops.  Good example for starter  belt for double shooter might be six pairs with couple of cartridge loops on each end and perhaps one or two in center.

YL has very interesting design for bandoleer.

I knew there was some other competitive shooter I was not recalling who shot using bandoleer, it was Smokestack.  Bet he could also give you tips if bando is your choice. 

I'll be using a side x side double barrel, hammerless, two trigger 12 gauge shotgun...

34 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

That's interesting the way your shotgun loops are positioned above your cartridge loops... I hadn't thought of that design, figured there wouldn't be room for both.  It's nice having a full compliment of extra ammo at your fingertips if you need it.  

You do have the occasional rifle reload and I keep a couple of pistol reloads on there also.

Obviously bandloeers are more popular in the USA  due to a bigger number of shooters, here in Australia with only approx 800 most use the slides or belt. To my knowledge only  myself uses a Bandoleer , some play around with them but don't last, don't know why as I think they work terrific.

After a while they just become so natural.

I prefer to only wear a single belt. I have 5 pairs of loops in front of my gunbelt, buckle to the back, I can load a sxs or 97 easily, I am not fast.

Imis    (living up, or down, to my alias)

In considering elastic, and in some cases canvas, material for loops I find shotgun shells a tad slower to load onto belt than a good quality leather looped belt.  I am especially referring to pairs.  In pairing, one might suggest your craftsman to be able to mold a slight "crease" in center of pairs to give small gap between two shells....at least in my grabbing/loading technique that is a plus.  This is a minor detail but I find in comparing my grab from canvas loops versus leather, I am more comfortable with the tiny part between shells.

Archived