SASS Wire Forum

Ruger BISLEY .454: Pros/Cons ?

Widder, SASS #59054

Any of you notorious Pards own or privy to info about the Ruger BISLEY in .454 Casull?

I'm thinking of getting one for my next project  (Long Octagon barrel, action work, etc.....)

As always, your opinions, advice, and info about Ginger/Mary Ann are appreciated... ;)

..........Widder

55 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Any of you notorious Pards own or privy to info about the Ruger BISLEY in .454 Casull?

I'm thinking of getting one for my next project  (Long Octagon barrel, action work, etc.....)

As always, your opinions, advice, and info about Ginger/Mary Ann are appreciated... ;)

..........Widder

I'll try to remember to snap a few pics of one after I get off work today. 

I know for a fact that it had to be sent back to Ruger out of the box due to timing/cycling issues.

I bet Ruger was surprised when they got Mary Ann returned to them for cycling problems...

Wow... what a handful...
I'm very partial to stainless with Bisley frames, and this grip will probably give you more control over that monster.
My neighbor gave his Smith 454 to his brother, and replaced it with the Smith 460.
He's a glutton for punishment, I guess.

WIDDER, Not that I distrust Ruger (Snicker Snicker), but iffy you get one, BEFORE you shoot it, be sure to investigate the the diameter of the cylinder throats.  Betcha two Bucks their undersize.

Having fired about three (3) rounds out of a Freedom Arms M87 with some guy's idea of custom grips shaped like a S&W DA and another couple out of one with the standard SA grips, I wouldn't want any kind of Ruger in that cartridge!  I've only known ONE man who could hold a FA87 relatively level with full-power .454 Casull loads, and he was about 6ft 6in and 265, and his forearms ware about as big around as my thighs! :o  Best of luck!

You asked for opinion so here goes.  I like handguns I've hunted and played with them and just like big holes in big barrels.  I own and shoot a Freedom Arms .454.  I also own and shoot a .475 and .50 Linebaugh on Ruger Bisley frames.  The .454 is more punishing to shoot than either of the others although it outweighs them both and is arguably less powerful.  The Linebaughs both have custom grips by Limbaugh's son in Cody, WY. which in my opinion helps tame them.  Without any reservation I prefer the .475 to hunt with especially dangerous game.  On this years Moose hunt my Grandson 6' 6' 270 said to me "give me the .475 I just don't like the .454".  I do load the .454 down to 45 Colt velocities sometimes  and its a pleasure to shoot but then what's the point if you already have Ruger 45 Colts that can be loaded really close to the .454.  

I have shot a Freedom Arms M87 with full power loads.  Five shots were enough to last me for a life time.

Duffield

W,

I have probably shot near a 1000 rounds of 454 ammo thru several 454s, all Freedom Arms.  I still own a 6" and 10" although seldom fire them since I have given up most hunting of big game.  I also shot a 475 Lin in a M87 FA that was in test and I came to conclusion that the 454 Casull would do all I needed it to do for game and much more versatile in loading   A 260 at near 1900 to a 185 at 1400 are favorite loads.   Bullseye can give you nice "pussycat" loads with most any bullet if desiring just a practice load.  454 C is one excellent cartridge.  I have taken some 18 bull elk with one, including several well over 100 yards, an antelope, pigs, numerous whitetail, and even Mountain goat.  If one has the desire, the recoil will not be factor.  I guess I was one of those because I practiced with full house loads  and actually enjoyed it.  But then that's part of the thrill of hunting.  Yes, trigger discipline is a must, but it should be with any gun for the serious hunter, especially the handgun hunter.  Personally, I would not recommend 454 in Ruger as I feel there are bargains out there on used FAs that would be better.

If ever a question, be glad to help.

In my IHMSA days, I enjoyed FA 10" M87s in 353, 41, and 44 mag.  Such accuracy in revolvers.

Note:  When I shot the 475 in test I was at a writers event and another writer had just tried it.  I was hesitant in trying it but he said that recoil was not bad, "it would just roll to side of your head".  He actually was quite right.  The recoil was certainly there but handling was not bad since it did have that roll to side on its way up.  I do think 454 might be more rearward, bet I have hit my cap/hat brim a time or two.

Widder,

I assumed this project was for at least partially for hunting.

BTW, all four FA 10" guns mentioned were/are octagon barrels.  Very pleasing to the eyes...as are a couple pair of Model 97s that I shoot in CAS.

Long barrel relly helps tame muzzle.  Even the weight of a first generation HoloSight that is atop my 6" helps tame.  In its early open sight configuration, it could touch my cap bream pretty easy off-hand.  In hunting situation, I pretty much demand a rest.  I actually have a back pack I'm accustomed to shooting from.

bb

It is a handful!  I probably should have bought the .480 Ruger but shooting .45 Colt out of the ,454 is very economical.  I had no problems with the one I had but did trade it due to the severe recoil.  They are accurate and do not be standing beside it when it goes off.  A second quick shot is hard to do accurately.  I prefer the .41. or 44 mag.

Good info..... Thanks Everyone.

Billy B:  I'm considering on getting one and begging Snake Oil George put a 7" Octagon barrel on it.

Actually, I plan to have the Octagon barrel set up in a 'Bull Barrel' configuration with a slot milled

into the area where a 5.5" Ejector rod housing will fit.

If the barrel is oversized, the ejector rod housing will need to be recessed into the barrel in order

to remain straight with the frame area it mates up against.

Initially, my plan is to use the Ruger Red Hawk front site system or a dovetail cut into the top area

to fit a 'Hunter' style site.

I haven't acquired the pistol YET..... but seriously considering it.

Thanks for ALL the info.

..........Widder

Left to right, in pairs: 180 gr. RNFP Cowboy 45 Special, 250 gr. Speer GDHP 45 Colt, 250 gr. Winchester JHP 454 Casull.

image.png.3129d79de868828dc93cda098e0cf8a3.png

On top, Lipsey's Exclusive Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley with 4 5/8" barrel and Rosewood grips, .454 Casull.  Bottom, Ruger Bisley New Vaquero with 5 1/2" barrel and fake ivory (plastic) grips, .45 Colt.

image.png.d8efd4ec5cd54dd332618c0cd9d9db3a.png

Same revolvers with the grips swapped - decent fit.  Feels the same to my un-calibrated hand.

image.png.2ffa5ca8dc5f646dcdd2f123dc48b335.png

A look from the bottom, you can see the difference in the frames/cylinders.

image.thumb.png.61f6a9101d1c0547d634fb5b0349ccba.png

And the Super Blackhawk Bisley under a Super Redhawk Alaskan with 2 1/2" barrel.

image.thumb.png.274a66d8c2f717b3d5634166d5501126.png

While not exactly scientific, a 180 gr RNFP bullet from Missouri Bullet Company sized to .452" has a slip fit through all 10 chambers of both cylinders.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

WOW Chief.   Thanks for the pics and info.

You obviously have a good taste in the .454 Casull.

..........Widder

I enjoy shooting them on occasion.

I'll try to get a short video showing recoil of the above loads after work tomorrow.

Between rain and a bout with headaches this week I've not wanted to do anything.

Interesting note: the Super Blackhawk cylinder rotates clockwise while the Super Redhawk cylinder rotates counter-clockwise.

23 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Interesting note: the Super Blackhawk cylinder rotates clockwise while the Super Redhawk cylinder rotates counter-clockwise.

Sounds like Ruger hired someone from S&W and Colt to set up those pistols..... :lol:

..........Widder

Archived