SASS Wire Forum

The things you find at a bank...

Dantankerous

Last week while visiting my local bank branch I glanced at the coin tray my teller has and saw these sitting in it. Of course the teller had no idea what they were but she knew their face value as legal tender was $1.50 so I bought them. :D  Not a bad score.

20191015_113551.jpg

20191015_113609.jpg

4 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

What do you estimate the value to be?

Realistically $10 to $20 for both. But I'll be happy to trade $1.50 for a higher dollar amount any day. :D

5 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Realistically $10 to $20 for both. But I'll be happy to trade $1.50 for a higher dollar amount any day. :D

well shucks I may have to smash my childhood piggy bank. There's quite a few of each of those in there. maybe enough to buy the wife the shotgun she needs lol

The photo may not show it quite clearly but these are 24 karat gold plated. Only minted for one year for the 1976 Bicentennial. 

way back when I started college, I was working as a manager of a store called Two Dollar Bills (it was a step down from a 99 cent store).  Their gimmick was to always have $2 bills in the registers to give out as change.  My coin collection grew tremendously during this time.  Aside from the old style 2 dollar bills that came in occasionally, just the chance to count the tills was awesome.  I always had a pocket full of change to use to swap out for silver dimes and quarters, and for the older coins.  I always have an eye open for interesting stuff and always do a quick check for silver when I get a handful of coins back in change.  Got a '59 silver dime from a pizza hut a few weeks ago.

Nothing like hard economic times to bring the old coins out again into circulation.

Were the coins in the OP gold plated at the mint?  I have a substantial number of Bicentennial dollars, halves and quarters, but have never seen any that came from the mint gold plated.  There were a lot of plated, painted and otherwise altered Bicentennial coins produced by private companies; few if any are worth anything more than face value (and then some are worth less because they are defaced).

LL

Recently I found an old coin in a stash left to me by my father, and got excited when I saw 1792 on it. Then I researched it and found out that it was some obscure Irish coin but only worth about $10. I was a bit bummed, but it's still neat to have a nearly 230 year-old coin.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Recently I found an old coin in a stash left to me by my father, and got excited when I saw 1792 on it. Then I researched it and found out that it was some obscure Irish coin but only worth about $10. I was a bit bummed, but it's still neat to have a nearly 230 year-old coin.

I've been collecting coins in a disorganized way for 60 years.  My favorites are not worth a lot of money; they represent a relationship or a life event that is important to me.  I have an 1874 Morgan silver dollar that was pressed into my hand when I was about 9 years old, at a Masonic church service in Philadelphia.  I was sitting next to an elderly couple, who literally poured dozens of Morgans into the collection plate, and then gave me one for being a "good fellow" in church. That act of kindness started me on a life-long love affair with Morgans.  

I also have a bunch of early 20th century silver coins left to me by my mother; none is particularly valuable, but I think of her every time I look at them.  

I never had the budget to buy big-dollar coins, nor the inclination to troll coin shows or websites.  But I love the surprise of finding an uncommon coin in my change.  I've been buying silver proof sets and Silver Eagles for years,  hoping that they will eventually give one of my future grandchildren the same thrill that I felt with that first Morgan.

There is just something about the feel of a silver coin in your hand....

LL

I used to do some historical lectures for high school students that included a reference to taxes.  I  would put 2 genuine Morgan silver dollars in a coin caddy and would squeeze it open to allow the silver dollars to hit the desk.  What a wonderful sound they made!

Mama told me that Grandpa had a $5 gold piece. About the size of a penny. When she was about six she took it and went down to the store one day and bought a penny's worth of candy.

She said he was mildly upset. Sitting was difficult for a few days.

7 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Last week while visiting my local bank branch I glanced at the coin tray my teller has and saw these sitting in it. Of course the teller had no idea what they were but she knew their face value as legal tender was $1.50 so I bought them. :D  Not a bad score.

20191015_113551.jpg

20191015_113609.jpg

Wait.........I've never seen a coin tray at any bank I've ever been too!!:o

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Wait.........I've never seen a coin tray at any bank I've ever been too!!:o

Every bank around here has coin trays. I ALWAYS peek at 'em. Never know what you might find. 

Just last month I asked a young teller about small portrait bills. I had to explain a small portrait bill to her but for my effort she asked, "Like this?" and pulled out one of these and I snagged it as a collectible.

12345.jpg

Archived