SASS Wire Forum

Fun match?

Shooting Bull

I don't want to hijack the other thread so here we go.  I think judging a match's quality based on a random percentage of clean shooters is a fool's errand.  In my ever so humble opinion the quality of a match is based on the amount of fun the shooters have.  Why else are we out here other than to have fun?  (Which includes being with friends.)  

Is that how you judge a match?  If so, what constitutes fun for you? What brings you back to a particular match year after year? 

Anytime I can dress up as a cowboy and shoot cowboy guns at targets that give an audible feedback is fun.

Add good cowboy friends, some good natured bantering, some friendly competition and somewhere in the mix good food and drink.

Oh, and LOTS of shotgun targets.

Black powder makes things funner, I have also found.

Movement is also good. Stand and deliver gets old fast.

An onsite chuck wagon style breakfast, lunch or dinner is nice. Cain't not beat dutch oven cobbler no how.

A large swap table always keeps things interesting away from the firing line as do vendors.

My take.

I like a few stages that can be run at speed, a few that have some type of challenge, whether it's a flyer, moving targets, farther distances, that sort of thing.  I like plenty of shotgun targets.  I like movement.  Interesting things to do before the beep can be fun, stab a dummy, throw a tomahawk, that sort of thing. I like straightforward progressions, none of that firing order of a chevy small block crap.  Challenging progressions are fun, like ALL4114ALL, but not random stuff.  I like choices, which side to start, which gun to start with. 

I really like stages where you're told the order targets have to be engaged in and that's it, or you're given a round count stage and it's left up to you determine the 'best' way to shoot it.

Then of course there's how the match was run, food, awards, etc. That could be a long list. 

I have fun at most matches regardless of the target setup and stage setup.  I prefer close and fast, but enjoy the opposite as well.

What can ruin a match for me is being on a posse with folks that just refuse to work or counters that watch other counters fingers more than the targets.  Not fun.

Totes

Grizzly Dave beat me to it. :) The posse marshal can really make a match as can the people on the posse.

I'm so clumsy (thanks Arthur), I don't shoot fast. So, I like to shoot clean.

My favorite stage ever was an optional sixth stage every month at our dedicated WBAS club; but could be adapted to SASS (with advance notice to the shooters). It had approx. 64 targets. You could make up any misses. You could shoot up to two SGs (loaded with six each, reloads allowed), two rifles (loaded with 10 each, reloads allowed), and unlimited pistol magazines (loaded with 7).

Adapt pistol by loading with five and allowing any number of pistols.

The number of clean shooters should be used to evaluate the match. Same as how many Ps there were.  

Too many Ps and I would look close at the stages and ask myself why. Same thing with clean shooters.  Too few or too many and I would be looking at stage design. 

Just my 2 cents, 

BS

I decided that I was willing to drive up to 2 hours for monthly matches. I have a lot of options being where I'm at. I've visited almost all the clubs that are available to me and return to the ones that I have the most fun at. What makes them fun for me? The biggest factors are the cowboys/girls that I shoot with, then the stage writing, and finally stage layouts. I used to think the clubs with built in towns were the way to go but after going to the same ones a couple times you realize it really limits the options for the stage writer. I think judging a match by clean shooters or P's is geared more for the folks putting on the match and not necessarily to determine how much fun a shooter is having. It lets them know where they can improve. The last match I attended I did horrible. I had 4 misses and a 120 second stage off the rip. Still had a great time despite the trainwreck no fault at all to stage design or scenario. It really comes down to the folks youre shooting with. 

Just my $0.02 

T.F. Jack

Often fun or not so fun depends on how I'm holding up.  Some days I'm just feel better than others.  When I start of tired and run out of spunk midway into the match,   it just becomes something to endure to complete. Often I need a 20 minute power nap between stages. :unsure:

Good target placement. From close to mid range is good with me. Mix of both in same match is Great.

No hard memory contest on the shooting order. They can be fun without being complicated.

I like movement. Even if I am not good at it. (can't seem to stop myself from baby stepping across the stage:huh::()

Like some stages with shotgun from different positions.  Every now and then pistols from different positions. But back to back

so GFers can go ahead and move with pistols also.

A posse that shares the work load and does not have free loaders letting others do all the work.

(not talking about those with health problems and can't. But those that can and won't) 

Put in a rifle reload on one stage. I like flyers also. But hardly ever see them anymore. I know some don't like knockdowns

for pistol or rifle. But I enjoy them.

I go to matches for the shooting, the people are a richly added bonus. 

I like throwing knives, tomahawks, stabbing dummies, etc. off the clock.  I like reactive targets, movement, multiple shooting positions with the shotgun, and far targets on occasion.   I like challenging stages with a fun twist here and there where you have to keep your mind in the game rather than the same 'Ole 10-10-4.  I like all shotgun stages or rifle/handgun only stages.  I like cleanable stages but don't worry about it if I don't shoot clean.  Since I don't dedicate myself to a particular class from shoot to shoot, I like matches that allow for less common classes like Cody Dixon, Pale Rider, Plainsman, Josey Wales, Real Cowboy, etc. to be shot during the regular match.  Anything out of the norm will draw me in every time.

The so called "P" traps are another area that doesn't concern me unless it is a mega complicated sweep.  Most of the 'P's I see are not from a trap but more from not keeping your mind in the game.

Location and layout of the range is another area that brings me back to matches as I head to the Sierras in a couple of days for a match nestled in the pines of Railroad Flat.  There is a range down south that puts on a first rate match but the layout of the range disturbs me so I won't go back.

Fun is 100% subjective.

There is no "fun" scale I can look at to determine if I think a match would be one I wish to attend.

So I have to look at the actual metrics of a match and base my opinion on that.

Clean shooters is a metric that I can use to judge not only the target sizes and distances; but the clarity of the stage writing as well.

And because events rarely happen in a vacuum - those same club officers who make the effort to write matches with clear instructions and well placed targets are more likely to be paying attention to all the other details as well.

I go to cowboy shoots to shoot.

Everything that is not the match is a (way, way) distant second in my valuation.

I'm not there to dance - I'm not there to listen to cowboy poetry - I'm not there for whiskey tastings - I came to shoot.

Clean shooters is my most valuable measurement to determine the attractiveness of a match.

I reckon damn near EVERY SASS match that I have been to was FUN!

But now that I think back of a few where I needed some assistance with the operation and prepping did kind of suck a bit.

But I was also down with vertebra disk and serious hip issues and those did drag on enough that I couldn't compete myself.

Mustang

I don't ever recall shooting a match that I didn't enjoy.   I would go back and shoot any of them again, and enjoy the experience.   So all safe matches meet my particular fun standard. 

Things I do not particularly care for are:

Targets set so close or at such poor angles, that half the posse is bleeding from shrapnell, 

Targets placed with no clean miss space, 

Posses too small to be able to cover the work tasks, 

Spotters who don't take the job seriously and get properly focused, or T. O. s who don't relieve them for non-performance,  

Shooting in weather so cold that my hands freeze to the guns, or so hot that my glasses are steamed up and my eyes full of sweat.  

Fortunately most of those things are quite rare, and many are easily correctable. 

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Fun is 100% subjective.

There is no "fun" scale I can look at to determine if I think a match would be one I wish to attend.

So I have to look at the actual metrics of a match and base my opinion on that.

Clean shooters is a metric that I can use to judge not only the target sizes and distances; but the clarity of the stage writing as well.

And because events rarely happen in a vacuum - those same club officers who make the effort to write matches with clear instructions and well placed targets are more likely to be paying attention to all the other details as well.

I go to cowboy shoots to shoot.

Everything that is not the match is a (way, way) distant second in my valuation.

I'm not there to dance - I'm not there to listen to cowboy poetry - I'm not there for whiskey tastings - I came to shoot.

Clean shooters is my most valuable measurement to determine the attractiveness of a match.

Creeker, I like what you say here.  Especially the part about going to "cowboy shoots to shoot."  If the guns are coming out, I want to get them dirty.  Include extra stuff.  Run a side match where I get to bring my derringer or Springfield rifle.  When I write stages, I try to throw a stage in there for everyone.  A speed stage for those who like to go really fast, a stage with a wide target array. A stage where the shooter has to manipulate an object such as a deck of cards, etc.  I do think that clean matches are important to a lot of shooters.  They take a lot of pride in their clean matches.  So, the stages should be vetted for P-traps and targets should be at reasonable distances.  Just my .02

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

Don't agree with him.  Even if he's right, don't agree with him.  He's already insufferable enough.  Agreeing with him just makes it worse. :(

If it is a fact that I am always right (and it is).

Then by not agreeing with me - you would be deliberately choosing to be wrong.

And that's just plain silly.

Not unexpected from Shooting Bull; but silly all the same.  :D

23 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

The posse marshal can really make a match as can the people on the posse

No truer words have ever been said.     

A Posse Marshal that knows what his Role is.  ,  T/O's that know the Rules,   Spotters that Can Spot and Not Listen/count.     all these can make a Match Great or  Destroy it so Bad you don't want to return.

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Sarge, don't be confused. Shooting Bull was just "funnin'" with Creeker.

I know.  Just funnin back.  But of course, my wife would tell you I've gone through my entire life confused;)

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

If it is a fact that I am always right (and it is).

Then by not agreeing with me - you would be deliberately choosing to be wrong.

And that's just plain silly.

Not unexpected from Shooting Bull; but silly all the same.  :D

You're wrong :rolleyes:

I recently shot a 12 stage 3-daymatch... I signed up in 2 categories... on side match day, @ 0500 I had the awning on the travel trailer rip apart in a short wind storm...  not fun!   On 1st day, stage 3 of 4 for the 1st category, I got rushed during loading, SDQ for "hammer not fully down".  Not fun.  Then, in 2nd category (Frontiersman), I loaded my cap dispenser with a tin of new caps... thought they were Remington #10s... turns out they were CCI... VERY BAD.  Went thru 2 days of shooting (8 stages), with having to "go 'round" each revolver at LEAST twice to get caps to go off... sometimes 3 times... NOT fun!  Finally, @ nite before the last day I identified the cap problem... and last day saw me with good working guns, and had a BLAST!  

Yes... I was ready to leave after 1st nite... actually after the awning ripped... but I perservered...  The Match Director and others had absolutely nothing to do with whether I had fun or not... but, other friends along with new ones brought me out of my funk, (beer and white lightning helped), so over all, I had a good time, met and overcame some non-shooting challenges and I look forward to next year!  We're lobbying for a Cap & Ball Gunfighter category... which ought to be a ball!  Worthy of many laughs and stories!  It'll be epic!  With 8-10 of shooting C&B GF all on one posse!  I think however... I'll only sign up for that one category this year.  And I won't mis-identify my caps next year either!!!

3 hours ago, Griff said:

...  With 8-10 of shooting C&B GF all on one posse!  ...

I would not recommend 8-10 of any shooting style (not just GF) C&B on one posse.

BTDT at an annual once when a friend and I put together the posses and granted those requests. That posse didn't finish and held up awards, etc. while they did the next day.

I just attended the Buzzard Boil shoot with the CT Valley Bushwackers.  I ended up finishing 19 out of 44 shooters on Saturday.  My wife made this shoot her first on Saturday, so that added to the enjoyment.  On Sunday we had a shoot off where the top half of the shooters were paired with the bottom half shooters.  That shoot off was the best part of the shoot!  Talk about an adrenaline rush!  My team mate and I won the shoot off to boot!  By far the best shoot I've been to yet.  I also enjoyed the pot luck Friday and Saturday night too.

The biggest thing that annoys or makes shoots less enjoyable is being on a posse with people that don't pull their weight.

Red Wolf

One thing I look for on Multi Day Matches is ..... Does the WB shooting cut into the Cowboy Sidematches ....

I have Zero use for WB ....

I think WB is perhaps something that can be run as long as it doesn't  impede any Cowboy Activity ...

I like Longrange Sidematches the Best the greater the distance the better .... Longrange Single Shot Both Pistol and Rifle Caliber , Buffalo Caliber

Longrange Lever In both Pistol and Rifle Caliber ....

Deringer , Pocket Caliber , Speed Rifle and Pistol , Clays  ,,, etc.

I also like Posse Stake and Rope Cutting and knock them all (100 targets) down in the shortest time ...  I even shot my first round of Sporting Clays ( at the Canadian SASS Nationals ) this year using my hammered Double ...

I like the Folks I meet and making lot's of Smoke .... I shoot FCD thinking of trying FC Gunfighter...

I get Bored with Stand and deliver stages right Quick ,,,, I like stages that allow me to start on either end ... And Pick what order to shoot my guns in ... Yep I know Not Rifle Last, because of the pip-squeak loaders .... Most timers will pick-up my rifle from well over 50 yards ....

I like Downrange movement side to side etc...

I like Swap Meets ,Campfires with or with-out music , Visiting Friends both old and New and serving Icecream with berries to friends around Camp ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived